Options

Replies

• stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    stang02 wrote: »
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

Still amounts to about zero on whether this diet is more than bunk. That's why we are all having a good time with it.

I enjoy the discussion! :D I LOVE that I can come here and inquire, so folks can debunk the junk! (I did like the info and research puffbrat added to the conversation.) There's too much info overload nowadays.

:D
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    We come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow. So I'm not sure what my ancestors ate...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for the idea that an ideal diet comes from a time when the average life span was 30-ish years old.

Thats got very little to do with diet and more to do with lack of modern medicine e.g antibiotics. Also higher infant mortality alters the stats.

Just so I'm clear...are you suggesting that diet has nothing to do with longer life spans?

Bah...I'm a public health student and I tend to love the juggernaut posts and while, yes...diet does have something to do with longer life spans...diet is really a very sexy, modern and tangible health topic and it would be hard to isolate diet as a major contributing factor to the lengthening of life spans...a lot of it has to do with better infant/maternal mortality rates, large reductions in accidental deaths, and dare I bring up John Snow's pump handle contribution to sanitation and hygiene reducing the spread of infectious disease. ...

For the record, I don't disagree that diets are not "the main" contributing factor.

However, that wasn't really the point.

Diet plans (including this one) that are based on some nostalgic notion that our ancestors ate such an admirable diet that we should strive to emulate today are ridiculous. The change in life span isn't the perfect indicator, but it tends to get the point across.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how long rice has been processed. I'm sure your long ago ancestors ate whole grain rice.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I hope this means that if I have German heritage, I can drink more beer!

Sounds like how it works. I get tequila, tacos, chocolate and french fries, yay!

Guess I have to start eating squirrel. Dammit.
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

These days I doubt anyone is "genetically homogeneous".

Although if this is the case I'm sure there are lots of vegetarians and vegans who are going to be really upset that they have to start eating meat again.
  • htimpaired
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »

Is that even a thing?? Even little ol' me is part slytherin.

Nope, no such thing.

Actually there is, in parts of Asia, Africa, far north America, and South America. Homogeneous when it comes to genetics means common/similar, not exact (which I am assuming is what you are thinking). :)

Don't forget Virginia.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I guess malnourished, starving people in Africa should continue to starve and be malnourished since their grandparents were that way, too.

VqlYSrvt.jpeg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm Scotch-Irish. So potatoes, haggis, whiskey, beer and I am good to go apparently.

Potatoes are from the Andes. Try again!

I thank the Spanish for stealing them to bring back to Europe. Or do foods not count within a certain time frame, about 400 years for potatoes? What is the time stamp on considering a food part of my ancestral heritage?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm Scotch-Irish. So potatoes, haggis, whiskey, beer and I am good to go apparently.

I thank the Spanish for stealing them to bring back to Europe. Or do foods not count within a certain time frame, about 400 years for potatoes? What is the time stamp on considering a food part of my ancestral heritage?

Well, the article and OP both said grandparent. Unless you're extremely old, I think you're fine with any foods that have been around since before 100 years.

ETA: Did we ever get clarification if we could go back to coke with cocaine and using opium to treat most anything?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, good.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    As an American descendant of a hodgepodge of cultures, what should I eat?

eat-ALL-the-things.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how long rice has been processed. I'm sure your long ago ancestors ate whole grain rice.

People have been processing grains to one extent or another since grains became a crop. The efficiency and level of milling has improved over time, with the 1700s and 1800s seeing mechanization of the process rather than more simple human pounding.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

These days I doubt anyone is "genetically homogeneous".

Although if this is the case I'm sure there are lots of vegetarians and vegans who are going to be really upset that they have to start eating meat again.

It depends to what extent you mean homogeneous. Compared to many animals, humans have a very homogeneous genome - we seem to have gone through a genetic bottleneck of 3,000-10,000 humans on Earth around 50 to 70,000 years ago, in what is called the Toba catastrophe theory.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The average lifespan was low due to infant mortality and childhood disease. People who lived to adult hood could live into their 70s.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    The average lifespan was low due to infant mortality and childhood disease. People who lived to adult hood could live into their 70s.

Which is still lower than current life expectancy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot like my grandparents. Both my grandmas grew and ate kale regularly. I have yet to meet a food I can't tolerate.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Pretty sure people who are 80-90 living in Ireland did in fact eat potatoes.

But their ancestors did not, as potatoes only came to Ireland sometime after 1530. That's not very far back.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers/chiles, chocolate...none of those things existed in Europe until they were introduced from the new world.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This is just another gimmick to sell books. It's basically saying that daily intake of fruits with meat/seafood/lentils together causes obesity-related disorders as do raw vegetables. That the healthy food craze is what's causing us to get sick. Just because certain fruits and vegetables are popular and their health benefits are overstated does not mean that people are eating a lot of them. The average intake of fruits and vegetables is actually not that high.

It could be my lack of sleep last night, but I found the the article to be inconsistent and lacking a clear message. In one paragraph it seems to blame fruits and vegetables for our ailments, and in another it touts fruits vegetables as healthy. In one paragraph it praises a good balanced nutrient-rich diet and in another it claims a balanced diet of one culture could be harmful for another, then circles back to say that it's okay to eat other traditional diets.

People who move to the USA and consequently change their diet to be heavy in convenience nutrient-poor energy-dense foods will of course see higher incidence of diabetes, kale has nothing to do with it.

Lactose intolerance aside, as this is a well understood issue, our ancestors have little to do with food-related intolerances. I tolerate rice perfectly although I don't have any asian roots. I also tolerate beans better than anyone I know although I don't have any mexican roots. What I tolerate poorly is eggs, although I know for a fact that I come from a long line of farmers with eggs being a staple. Olive oil was a major player in my weight gain although my original ancestors from the 13th generation and up were greek.

I really don't feel the need to line someone's pockets to know that eating a balanced nutritious diet is a good thing then listen to a bunch of sciency-sounding excuses full of twisted facts to convince me of it. I already know.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look what three generations can do. My granddaughter's heritage is 1/2 Rwandan, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 German (In other words, 100% Canadian). Her mother does not tolerate milk very well, her father, well, if there were a case for homogeneous genetic predilection, theirs would be it. The Tutsi culture centers around cattle and their milk, and the people are tall. My granddaughter is meh when it comes to milk preferring almond milk. But she's tall.

So what in the heck is my granddaughter supposed to eat?