Friends who dance! Is lifting a must?

Options
Hi, most of my workouts are centered around dancing. Zumba, Cize, Latin. I am looking for like minded friends. If anyone is as into dance as I am, send me a friend request!

Also, I already know the answer but must I lift? I find it very boring!!! lol

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's up to you.

If you're asking whether you can achieve much better results by integrating lifting rather than following a cardio only programme, the answer is yes.

It's your body. You do what you like with it.
  • eva_letsdance
    eva_letsdance Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Do you only lift or incorporate cardio as well? Also, how do you not find it boring?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No one has to lift! Or do anything they don't want to for that matter.

Is it a personal choice. If you want to maintain your muscle mass during your weight loss journey, you need to lift. There are a ton of things you can do for lifting, even if it is just doing body weight exercising...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    cicamica77 wrote: »
    Thanks! Do you only lift or incorporate cardio as well? Also, how do you not find it boring?

I do both.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to lift. If you want the physique of a lifter, then yes. If you want to help maintain lean body mass (save muscle) as you lose weight, then yes you need to either lift or run a body weight program.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    No one has to lift! Or do anything they don't want to for that matter.

Is it a personal choice. If you want to maintain your muscle mass during your weight loss journey, you need to lift. There are a ton of things you can do for lifting, even if it is just doing body weight exercising...

Yup. Using smaller weights now and following fitness blender.

Thanks for your feedback!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

To answer this "boring" part...I am on a set program. Every week I am making personal records, lifting more weight than I ever had before, or for more reps and sets than before. I'm not bored squatting with a 200lb barbell on my back-I'm excited, empowered, and feel strong. I look forward to that workout all day.

Pick a program, learn to lift properly.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to lift. If you want the physique of a lifter, then yes. If you want to help maintain lean body mass (save muscle) as you lose weight, then yes you need to either lift or run a body weight program.

Thanks!
  • eva_letsdance
    Options

To answer this "boring" part...I am on a set program. Every week I am making personal records, lifting more weight than I ever had before, or for more reps and sets than before. I'm not bored squatting with a 200lb barbell on my back-I'm excited, empowered, and feel strong. I look forward to that workout all day.

That is great! Good for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    as a matter of general fitness resistance training is just as important as cardiovascular work...you're working on different aspects of fitness...if you're not doing one or the other, you are basically ignoring that aspect of your fitness...which is ok if that's what you want to do, but I don't recommend it as a matter of general overall fitness.

most people who find it boring aren't actually following any kind of program...they don't really know what they're doing or what they should be doing to achieve the results they want. i'd recommend following a structured lifting or body weight program.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lifting you don't need to do that but you should definitely add weights into your routine. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn its also going to keep (or at least help) you from getting osteoporosis . add some hand weights while you do those dance based classes
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    as a matter of general fitness resistance training is just as important as cardiovascular work...you're working on different aspects of fitness...if you're not doing one or the other, you are basically ignoring that aspect of your fitness...which is ok if that's what you want to do, but I don't recommend it as a matter of general overall fitness.

most people who find it boring aren't actually following any kind of program...they don't really know what they're doing or what they should be doing to achieve the results they want. i'd recommend following a structured lifting or body weight program.

Thanks for your input! That must be it. I was following a program that consists of lifting 3x a week. I was seeing results. But, still found it boring. :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »
    Lifting you don't need to do that but you should definitely add weights into your routine. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn its also going to keep (or at least help) you from getting osteoporosis . add some hand weights while you do those dance based classes

Zumba has the option of adding weights for some of the routines, I just find that I can not keep form as well while doing cardio. I'll just need to suck it up and get back into it. Someone suggested listing to good music to go along with it. I will try that. Thanks for taking the time to respond :)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    @JoRocka lifts and is a professional dancer. Perhaps she can give you some insight as well.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    @JoRocka lifts and is a professional dancer. Perhaps she can give you some insight as well.

Awesome! Thanks!!!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything you don't want to do. That being said, what do you want? What are your goals? If it is to be leaner and build strength then the best way to do that would be to lift (heavy).

I love to dance. I've danced my whole life - tap, jazz, ballet, lyrical, hip hop, acrobatics, salsa, etc. I don't dance as much as I used to and I miss it. If I could find time for classes I will. (I dance informally on my own time though.) However,

she hit the nail on the head.

Just because you do one does not mean have to stop the other.

• eva_letsdance
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything you don't want to do. That being said, what do you want? What are your goals? If it is to be leaner and build strength then the best way to do that would be to lift (heavy).

I love to dance. I've danced my whole life - tap, jazz, ballet, lyrical, hip hop, acrobatics, salsa, etc. I don't dance as much as I used to and I miss it. If I could find time for classes I will. (I dance informally on my own time though.) However,

she hit the nail on the head.

Just because you do one does not mean have to stop the other.

Thanks for your input. Never stop dancing!!!! It is the key for my well being and not ripping ppl heads off :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to lift weights. Just doing cardio is going to burn fat but it's not going to increase muscle mass and prevent osteoporosis, among other maladies.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    Yes, you have to lift weights. Just doing cardio is going to burn fat but it's not going to increase muscle mass and prevent osteoporosis, among other maladies.

Thanks! I love that assertive Yes!!!!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba, but I have lost a lot of weight and I really need to build up my muscles so....i listen to the Zumba station on Pandora on my ear buds while I'm lifting and dance around a bit in between sets. It keeps me smiling!