Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cicamica77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    as a matter of general fitness resistance training is just as important as cardiovascular work...you're working on different aspects of fitness...if you're not doing one or the other, you are basically ignoring that aspect of your fitness...which is ok if that's what you want to do, but I don't recommend it as a matter of general overall fitness.

most people who find it boring aren't actually following any kind of program...they don't really know what they're doing or what they should be doing to achieve the results they want. i'd recommend following a structured lifting or body weight program.

Thanks for your input! That must be it. I was following a program that consists of lifting 3x a week. I was seeing results. But, still found it boring. :)

Are you progressively adding weight? Are you establishing goals for yourself? Have you found ways to translate the strength you are gaining into real world applications?

My wife used to lift because she knew it was good for her in general...it's still not her favorite thing in the world, but there are a lot of things she can do now as a stronger person than she used to be able to do and that has been highly motivational for her. She's a runner and I can remember the first time she noticed that her lifting was translating into being a better, stronger runner...it was like a light bulb went on because she saw functional benefits from lifting which she was just kind of meh about into something she loved.

I also remember when we did a fun obstacle/mud run and for the first time in her life she was actually able to do the monkey bars...she was like, "holy *kitten*...I can actually do that now."

I would also add that for many, lifting is somewhat of a necessary "evil" to achieve the physique they desire and to achieve the fitness they desire. I'd wager that we all do things fitness wise that would rather skip...but our fitness and goals dictate that we do them anyway if we actually want to achieve those things.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yes
  • eva_letsdance
    eva_letsdance Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I LOVE Zumba, but I have lost a lot of weight and I really need to build up my muscles so....i listen to the Zumba station on Pandora on my ear buds while I'm lifting and dance around a bit in between sets. It keeps me smiling!

That is soooo great! I am glad it is working for you. When I listen to zumba music and not do zumba, I am not giving my best in what I am doing. It may be a focus issue for me. For ex, when I was running and listen to zumba music, i kept doing choreography in my head and noticed I was not pushing enough. I just get sooooo into the song. lol As for lifting, I really focus on having proper form as in the past it was an issue. :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    as a matter of general fitness resistance training is just as important as cardiovascular work...you're working on different aspects of fitness...if you're not doing one or the other, you are basically ignoring that aspect of your fitness...which is ok if that's what you want to do, but I don't recommend it as a matter of general overall fitness.

most people who find it boring aren't actually following any kind of program...they don't really know what they're doing or what they should be doing to achieve the results they want. i'd recommend following a structured lifting or body weight program.

Thanks for your input! That must be it. I was following a program that consists of lifting 3x a week. I was seeing results. But, still found it boring. :)

Are you progressively adding weight? Are you establishing goals for yourself? Have you found ways to translate the strength you are gaining into real world applications?

My wife used to lift because she knew it was good for her in general...it's still not her favorite thing in the world, but there are a lot of things she can do now as a stronger person than she used to be able to do and that has been highly motivational for her. She's a runner and I can remember the first time she noticed that her lifting was translating into being a better, stronger runner...it was like a light bulb went on because she saw functional benefits from lifting which she was just kind of meh about into something she loved.

I also remember when we did a fun obstacle/mud run and for the first time in her life she was actually able to do the monkey bars...she was like, "holy *kitten*...I can actually do that now."

I would also add that for many, lifting is somewhat of a necessary "evil" to achieve the physique they desire and to achieve the fitness they desire. I'd wager that we all do things fitness wise that would rather skip...but our fitness and goals dictate that we do them anyway if we actually want to achieve those things.

I was and saw real results, not just in the way I looked but carrying groceries for example. It was sooo much easier to carry. Thanks for all your input and everyone else how responded. Really making a difference in re-evaluating how i should proceed forward.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    yes

lol thanks!
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I'm a former dancer...love dancing and am taking Zumba along with body pump...knee permitting.

But I will say I've absolutely LOVED lifting. I make sure I have the right tunes of course and break things up/mix them up some. I've noticed a big time difference in my body composition versus other times when I've just not eaten and done aerobics. I do about 20 min on the elliptical then lift. Then I dance for stress relief when I feel like.

It seems boring, but the feeling afterwards is fantastic. "Like a Boss" comes to mind :smile:

Not only that...but agree with the above - weight bearing/lifting helps with osteoporosis/bone density later on in life. It really is very good for you...and I have joint issues...there are ways to do it safely so listen to your body and go lift some heavy stuff.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like dance + yoga + lifting. They all work me differently. For dance I do Zumba & UrbanKick. For lifting I'm doing strong lifts 5x5 with a friend. We are NEVER bored! LOL
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm a ballet teacher and I lift heavy. I started lifting 9 months ago and my leaps are higher and my pirouettes are sharper than they were in my 20s. I wish I would have started lifting a decade ago.

I also do zumba for fun because I really like the music. I couldn't get into Cize though, It was too easy.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I'm a former dancer...love dancing and am taking Zumba along with body pump...knee permitting.

But I will say I've absolutely LOVED lifting. I make sure I have the right tunes of course and break things up/mix them up some. I've noticed a big time difference in my body composition versus other times when I've just not eaten and done aerobics. I do about 20 min on the elliptical then lift. Then I dance for stress relief when I feel like.

It seems boring, but the feeling afterwards is fantastic. "Like a Boss" comes to mind :smile:

Not only that...but agree with the above - weight bearing/lifting helps with osteoporosis/bone density later on in life. It really is very good for you...and I have joint issues...there are ways to do it safely so listen to your body and go lift some heavy stuff.

Thanks for all the input! I'll add you.
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I like dance + yoga + lifting. They all work me differently. For dance I do Zumba & UrbanKick. For lifting I'm doing strong lifts 5x5 with a friend. We are NEVER bored! LOL

Nice! Yeah, have not tried lifting with a friend. That is a good idea. Keep dancing! :)
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do Ballet and Pointe and for me, lifting is a must!! It takes strong muscles to pull legs up high and roll up effortlessly onto my toes. Plus, lifting is great for bones and ballet and pointe can be hard on bones so i know it helps that too but i like being strong. I've even done some of my barre work with ankle and wrist weights... not truly lifting but it helps as well!!
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    I'm a ballet teacher and I lift heavy. I started lifting 9 months ago and my leaps are higher and my pirouettes are sharper than they were in my 20s. I wish I would have started lifting a decade ago.

I also do zumba for fun because I really like the music. I couldn't get into Cize though, It was too easy.

Yup, getting back into lifting after all these awesome comments! Cize was easy until I recorded myself and saw I may not have given my all. I also loved the last three chorography. Thanks for the FR :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    I do Ballet and Pointe and for me, lifting is a must!! It takes strong muscles to pull legs up high and roll up effortlessly onto my toes. Plus, lifting is great for bones and ballet and pointe can be hard on bones so i know it helps that too but i like being strong. I've even done some of my barre work with ankle and wrist weights... not truly lifting but it helps as well!!

These are all such great comments! Thank you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Also, I already know the answer but must I lift? I find it very boring!!! lol
    Try the 7-Minute Workout app. Still boring but it's over quickly!
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    Also, I already know the answer but must I lift? I find it very boring!!! lol
    Try the 7-Minute Workout app. Still boring but it's over quickly!

lmao I will :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I miss dance- My spine can't take the impact anymore. I can't even jog in place anymore.
    One thing you might look into is using resistance bands instead of dumbells/barbells. (I use both, alternate days). Resistance bands give you a lot of the same benefits (bone-strength, muscle tone, etc) as picking up iron chunks and putting them down again, but can be incorporated into dance moves and strength-fitness routines that I find far more fun than 'lifting'. :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    I miss dance- My spine can't take the impact anymore. I can't even jog in place anymore.
    One thing you might look into is using resistance bands instead of dumbells/barbells. (I use both, alternate days). Resistance bands give you a lot of the same benefits (bone-strength, muscle tone, etc) as picking up iron chunks and putting them down again, but can be incorporated into dance moves and strength-fitness routines that I find far more fun than 'lifting'. :)

Oh that is too bad :( have you tried aquafit? I use to teach it...dancing in the water :)

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I like running and swimming and biking, and there was a time in my life when I loved classes that include dance. But right now my schedule right now makes it difficult to do classes. I too dislike lifting and find it boring. I do it because I know it is important to health, and for the nice shape it gives my body. I wish there was a way to like it more.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Oh that is too bad :( have you tried aquafit? I use to teach it...dancing in the water :)

Thanks for the suggestion! [/quote]

I really enjoyed aquafit, but when our gym sold, the new owners stopped doing it. I just got the local community pool schedule today and I'm hoping they have something like it. :)
  • eva_letsdance
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    I like running and swimming and biking, and there was a time in my life when I loved classes that include dance. But right now my schedule right now makes it difficult to do classes. I too dislike lifting and find it boring. I do it because I know it is important to health, and for the nice shape it gives my body. I wish there was a way to like it more.

Nice to hear I am not the only one :) yes, there is not enough time to do everything :)