Mental Block Problems concerning calories

Options
Squirrel698
Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So here it is, on the second or third day of January, I started a diet and so far I've lost 18 lbs. That's good, right? It is, but I'm worried that's too much. I'm now at a so-called healthy weight of 170.8 at 5'10". (the avatar is no longer accurate) I still want to lose another 20 lbs to get to 150 lbs which is where I've spent most of my adult life. Recent surgery and long hours at my desk helped me gain almost 40 pounds in only a few months.

Now the mental block is this; I'm starving. Look at my diary, if you want. I promise it's accurate, I weigh everything, even liquids. (.9 x ml = grams for most liquids)

I eat about 1250 calories a day, give or take a bit. I also work out every day for an hour or more and walk about 10,000 steps also. I set aside Sunday for a 'cheat day' but in reality, I binge until I'm at least nauseous and can't eat anymore. That's in my diary too, although I might eat more than what's listed.

Somehow even that doesn't stop my weight loss. I'm not complaining about that of course. I want to eat more during the week. 1,500 calories would be nice or even the 1,400 recommended by MFP, but I can't make myself do it. I'm terrified of stalling my progress or even reversing it. It's a problem because I'm waking up hungry every night and find myself obsessing about food constantly.

I would appreciate any reassurance or advice, no matter how harsh. I need to get it together. It's just that it works as is and why mess with what works? On the other hand, I don't know if this is going to be good for my long term health.

Thoughts?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Honestly, from what you've typed out I think it would do you some good to talk to a professional about these feelings and your relationship toward food. You shouldn't be 'terrified' about stalling or 'obsessing' about food.

Now, if those words were more hyperbole than accurate, and you just need some assurances...I'll offer this.

There is NO reason a 36 year old, active male should be restricting himself to only 1250 calories per day. It's no wonder you're binging like mad on Sundays. The fact that you lost 18 lbs in a month when (in reality) you didn't have all that much to lose is another worrisome factor.

I'm a few years older, work out about 5x per week (so probably slightly less active), and am shorter and weigh less and have no problem losing weight any time I go under about 2,000 calories per day.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You're right, it's a mental block and you need to find your way around it. I'm also 5-10 and maintenance for me is about 2100. If you are starving, you are probably restricting too much. Eating at 1500 would be fine and would still allow you to lose. It seems to me like you lack patience, too. You expect too much too soon, like a lot of newer folks here. It took me 2 YEARS to lose 20 lbs. 2 YEARS!!!!! And that was not with a lot of ups-and-downs, that was consistent calorie deficits, but small deficits. I could not sustain a 1200 calorie diet. I, too, was starving. Even though it took time, it was much more comfortable for me. I found an exercise I love to do (distance running) and that kept a smile on my face and kept me moving toward my goal as well. That would be my best advice. EAT MORE and HAVE PATIENCE.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I set aside Sunday for a 'cheat day' but in reality, I binge until I'm at least nauseous and can't eat anymore. That's in my diary too, although I might eat more than what's listed.

Somehow even that doesn't stop my weight loss. I'm not complaining about that of course. I want to eat more during the week.

You sound like you don't understand why you can binge and still lose weight. It is not some magical accident that your binges don't affect your progress. The reason is that you are eating WAY too little on other days, that even eating an insane amount of food won't make up for it.

It is not magic. It is just math. Trust the math and eat more.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    (.9 x ml = grams for most liquids)

No.

Water is one ml = one gram.

Other liquids vary depending upon their specific gravity.

Water is the only liquid you can reliably weigh if you don't know that liquid's specific gravity unless the nutritional information is specified in grams. Well, you can weigh other liquids but keep in mind that it will only give you a ballpark figure and you won't know how close it is.
  • Squirrel698
    Options
    Coconut milk is the
    seska422 wrote: »

No.

Water is the only liquid you can reliably weigh if you don't know that liquid's specific gravity unless the nutritional information is specified in grams. Well, you can weigh other liquids but keep in mind that it will only give you a ballpark figure and you won't know how close it is.

True. They used water to correlate many measurements that we use today. The main liquids I measure are coconut / almond milk and wine. From my research, which is just a google search, .9 seems to be accurate enough. Do you suggest just using a measurement cup if a perfect measurement can't be found?

There is NO reason a 36 year old, active male should be restricting himself to only 1250 calories per day. It's no wonder you're binging like mad on Sundays. The fact that you lost 18 lbs in a month when (in reality) you didn't have all that much to lose is another worrisome factor.

I'm a few years older, work out about 5x per week (so probably slightly less active), and am shorter and weigh less and have no problem losing weight any time I go under about 2,000 calories per day.

Good example. Thank you for taking the time out to post it.
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    EAT MORE and HAVE PATIENCE.

Yep, that in a nutshell is basically what I need to hear. I want it all now, but biology doesn't really work that way, now does it? It's as if I feel if I don't secure this weight loss now I'll miss out on the opportunity or some such thing? It doesn't make sense.
    erinc5 wrote: »

You sound like you don't understand why you can binge and still lose weight. It is not some magical accident that your binges don't affect your progress. The reason is that you are eating WAY too little on other days, that even eating an insane amount of food won't make up for it.

It is not magic. It is just math. Trust the math and eat more.

Trust the math, good motto.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Coconut milk is the

No.

True. They used water to correlate many measurements that we use today. The main liquids I measure are coconut / almond milk and wine. From my research, which is just a google search, .9 seems to be accurate enough. Do you suggest just using a measurement cup if a perfect measurement can't be found?

If "close enough" works for you, then stick with weighing liquids that are near the consistency of water. I weigh salad dressings for convenience but I'm aware that it's a rough estimate.

It's not like measuring cups/spoons are perfect either because liquid has a meniscus and some remains behind on the dishes. However, measuring cups/spoons are more accurate to use for liquids, especially thick liquids.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Listen. You know you are losing too fast and that losing too fast has health consequences. You know that by eating more you will lose more slowly. Maybe you will stop if you eat to much but you will know that you just have to adjust your numbers until you get the rate of loss you want. Obviously you know how to lose weight, you are doing it. You have nothing to fear.

So now work on doing it in a way that does not endanger your health and allows you to be comfortable enough to not lose control on the weekends.

You can do this. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Honestly, from what you've typed out I think it would do you some good to talk to a professional about these feelings and your relationship toward food. You shouldn't be 'terrified' about stalling or 'obsessing' about food.

Now, if those words were more hyperbole than accurate, and you just need some assurances...I'll offer this.

+1
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

If "close enough" works for you, then stick with weighing liquids that are near the consistency of water. I weigh salad dressings for convenience but I'm aware that it's a rough estimate.

It's not like measuring cups/spoons are perfect either because liquid has a meniscus and some remains behind on the dishes. However, measuring cups/spoons are more accurate to use for liquids, especially thick liquids.

You are not helping. OPs problem is that he isn't consistently eating enough. Arguing about a tiny discrepancy (0.1 ml?? I mean really??) in weighing coconut milk is not adding anything useful to this discussion at all. Bringing up the fact that liquid has a meniscus???? I mean, did you even read the question he originally asked us?

Squirrel - do not focus on this. Your measuring is perfectly fine for your purposes right now. Do not become more obsessive or meticulous about it. Focus on upping your daily calories and reducing your binge on Sunday in order to stop feeling hungry and obsessive about food every day. Perhaps focus on eating 1500 - 1600 per day and then have a 2500-3000 day on Sunday if you like the one day you can eat more.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Gradually bump yourself up to 1800+ kcals/day. Actually, you can probably lose on quite a bit more than that. Starvation can lead to that obsessiveness, so once you are eating more I think you'll start to feel much better. Make sure you are also having a regular eating pattern (3 meals/day + 0-3 planned snacks). If you find it tough to make these changes, by all means, speak to an eating disorders therapist (these issues are exactly the ones they have training in helping with).
  • Squirrel698
    Options
    Thank you for your help everyone. I really appreciate it.