Best Macro ratios for weight loss when insulin resistant

Options
I am 5' 8" and weigh 198 lbs. When I started losing weight, I weighed 225 lbs on Atkins but have since plateaued. I am insulin resistant and to lose weight I have restricted my daily calorie intake to 2050 calories with macros of Carbs 45%, Protein 35% and Fats 20%. I follow my calorie intake strictly, but am still finding it hard to lose weight (remain in 196 to 200 lbs range; even though I exercise regularly). Any suggestions on how I might change my macros to improve my weight loss?

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesn't Atkins require a ratio more like 10c,60f,30p?

If you're insulin resistance you need to drop the carbs I would have thought
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Fat causes insulin resistance so you might want to switch up what kind of diet you are on.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Fat causes insulin resistance so you might want to switch up what kind of diet you are on.

Fat causes insulin resistance?

Fat has the lowest response to insulin I was told?
  • Jeffy80922
    Jeffy80922 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing Atkins when my weight loss staled at 200 lbs and started using the Harris Benedict Formula with a weight loss goal of 5 to 7lbs per month. Now I try to keep my net carbs around 2050 per day, but am wondering if (because on my insulin resistance), I can improve my weight loss by changing my current macros (C 45%, P 35% and F 20%)????
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Jeffy80922 wrote: »
    I stopped doing Atkins when my weight loss staled at 200 lbs and started using the Harris Benedict Formula with a weight loss goal of 5 to 7lbs per month. Now I try to keep my net carbs around 2050 per day, but am wondering if (because on my insulin resistance), I can improve my weight loss by changing my current macros (C 45%, P 35% and F 20%)????

I would have thought lowering your carb intake and replacing it with good fats (nuts, eggs) may be a good solution Jeff. Obviously check with your doctor before changing anything.

Insulin resistance Is a difficult one, your body doesn't produce enough insulin and therefore Stores Carb intake as fat a alot easier than most people.
  • OMP33
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

I would have thought lowering your carb intake and replacing it with good fats (nuts, eggs) may be a good solution Jeff. Obviously check with your doctor before changing anything.

Insulin resistance Is a difficult one, your body doesn't produce enough insulin and therefore Stores Carb intake as fat a alot easier than most people.

I would definitely check this video out. LCHF diets spike insulin levels. A HCLF diet decreases them.

“As the amount of fat in our diet gets lower and lower, insulin works better and better. This is a clear demonstration that the sugar tolerance of even healthy individuals can be impaired by administering a low-carb high-fat diet. But we can decrease insulin resistance by decreasing fat intake.”

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/
  • robs_ready
    Options

I would definitely check this video out. LCHF diets spike insulin levels. A HCLF diet decreases them.

“As the amount of fat in our diet gets lower and lower, insulin works better and better. This is a clear demonstration that the sugar tolerance of even healthy individuals can be impaired by administering a low-carb high-fat diet. But we can decrease insulin resistance by decreasing fat intake.”

Will give it a watch, thanks!
  • Jeffy80922
    Options
    Based on what I've learned about fat and carbs, I was thinking that maybe the best maco ratio for someone insulin resistant like me might be to increase protein and to keep carbs and fats relatively low...something like P 45%, C 30% and F 25%????
  • OMP33
    Options
    Based on what I've learned about fat and carbs, I was thinking that maybe the best maco ratio for someone insulin resistant like me might be to increase protein and to keep carbs and fats relatively low...something like P 45%, C 30% and F 25%????

Experiment with carbs and protein, just keep fats low.
  • Jeffy80922
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll try that!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Best diet for insulin resistance is one that helps you lose weight ..so eat less, move more and choose a macro balance that you can stick with

Traditionally people have been advised to keep their carbs in check but this is mainly in a "diet du jour" response and extrapolated from diabetic diets. It is thought that the most prevalent cause of insulin resistance is being obese

Fat is a minimum macro to meet because it is necessary in the absorption of nutrients ..A common guideline is minimum of 0.35g fat per lb of bodyweight

Protein is the building block for the body ...important for ongoing cell repair...If in defecit consuming higher than RDA recommendations is beneficial..for those looking to maximise their fat:muscle ratio guidelines are minimums of 0.64-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight

Vegetables of every colour are packed with nutrients and minerals and give high volume for low calorie counts

Get a wide ranging diet of foods you love, hit your macro and micro nutrient targets, don't overly restrict but stick to your calorie defecit week in and week out

Move more, get generally active ..walk when you would drive or take the bus

Incorporate some form of progressive resistance in your weekly activity ...to help preserve as much lean tissue as possible as you lose

But the most important advice is to find a diet and exercise programme you can stick to, without getting unnecessarily bogged down in too much detail or listening to strangers on the internet who have a track record of making some very odd and unsubstantiated posts

ps haven't watched the video, have read some studies on mice/rats re saturated fats and insulin response ...not seen anything repeated in humans as yet but common advice is to cut down on sat fats anyway and focus on good fats...oily fish, avocado, olive, nuts, seeds etc

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also are you weighing and accurately logging all your food ..it is easy for bad habits to slip into logging so that you end up eating at maintenance unknowingly

Digital scales...throw away cups and spoons
    Careful selection and double checking of every food selected from the MFP database
    Do not overestimate exercise burns ...machines and MFP database tend to be OTT ..eat back 50-75% exercise if following MFP method ...

check against weight loss over 6-8 week rolling cycles and if not on track adjust ...all the calorie numbers are estimates, what your body does is key ...trending apps like libra or happy scale, websites like trendweight.com or weightographer
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Evidence ?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and weigh 198 lbs. When I started losing weight, I weighed 225 lbs on Atkins but have since plateaued. I am insulin resistant and to lose weight I have restricted my daily calorie intake to 2050 calories with macros of Carbs 45%, Protein 35% and Fats 20%. I follow my calorie intake strictly, but am still finding it hard to lose weight (remain in 196 to 200 lbs range; even though I exercise regularly). Any suggestions on how I might change my macros to improve my weight loss?

2050 calories isn't really restriction TBH. Typically low carb eaters have more like 1400 calories.

I'm a bit confused as to do Atkins you would want 5 or 10% of calories from carbs, maybe 15 at a push in the later stages. Protein would be 20-25% max 35% and fats the rest (ie >50%).
  • OMP33
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Evidence ?

I posted it in a comment above.. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

2050 calories isn't really restriction TBH. Typically low carb eaters have more like 1400 calories.

I'm a bit confused as to do Atkins you would want 5 or 10% of calories from carbs, maybe 15 at a push in the later stages. Protein would be 20-25% max 35% and fats the rest (ie >50%).

I am confused. How are you calculating the calories? I am losing on about 1400 calories and am female/lightly active, 3" shorter

OP there are stickies on how to calculate. I just go by what MFP gave me as a calorie target because it seems to work for me.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Once again, you misinterpret the data.

Studies since then have been somewhat equivocal, with some showing higher insulin sensitivity on high-carbohydrate diets (1, 2), and others unable to replicate the finding (3). One potential explanation is that the difference in carbohydrate:fat ratios was not sufficient to see a difference in the studies that did not confirm the effect. As per Dr. Himsworth's finding, reduced insulin sensitivity seems to require a very low carbohydrate intake. Qualitative differences between the fat and carbohydrate sources may also have played a role-- unrefined carbohydrates improve insulin sensitivity more than refined carbohydrates.

Although very low-carbohydrate diets can reduce insulin sensitivity (and this squares with the poor glucose tolerance of many people who have followed very low-carbohydrate diets long-term), I think it is fair to ask whether this is harmful or simply adaptive (pathological vs. physiological). When glucose is scarce in the diet, the body initiates a metabolic program to spare glucose for the brain, which is more dependent on glucose than other organs. Since insulin signals tissues to increase glucose uptake, it is logical to think that insulin resistance might be a way of reducing glucose use by peripheral tissues so that the brain gets a larger share.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-causes-insulin-resistance-part-v.html

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would say the best diet for IR is what you find from eating to your glucose metre. If a food raises your blood glucose significantly in the 1-3 hours after eating it, you need to reduce the amount or the foods that cause the BG spike. For most people that is cutting back on carbs and, possibly to a lesser extent, protein. Fats will not raise BG or insulin.

Losing excess weight can help some with IR, and I suppose a LFHC diet may be one way to get there, but excess weight is not the cause of all IR. I lost 20+% of my body weight, am now in the middle of my BMI for normal, and I am just as insulin resistant as I was to begin with. A LCHF diet is the only way I control my BG throughout the day. I am basically eating Atkins induction phase, and have been for quite some time. It keeps my metre readings normal.

Go back to Atkins if it worked for you. It sounds like your current macros of 45/35/20 isn't.
  • stefaniezoeller
    stefaniezoeller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fat does not cause insulin resistance and if you're going low carb try doing more like 10% of your intake or less for a week. 20 grams a day to get fat loss in gear as far as Atkins goes. LOG YOUR FOOD. EAT REAL FOOD. BMI is crazy..people serious about being fit and healthy really still use that nonsense? Based on BMI A.S. would have been grossly obese! Also I use IF to help with the insulin resistance. 3 days a week I eat 600 to 1000 (quality) calories over a 8 hour period and NOTHING but tea or water after 7 pm until 11am the next day. RANT OVER..Have a great day and good luck!