Options

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Jeffy80922 wrote: »
    I stopped doing Atkins when my weight loss staled at 200 lbs and started using the Harris Benedict Formula with a weight loss goal of 5 to 7lbs per month. Now I try to keep my net carbs around 2050 per day, but am wondering if (because on my insulin resistance), I can improve my weight loss by changing my current macros (C 45%, P 35% and F 20%)????

I would have thought lowering your carb intake and replacing it with good fats (nuts, eggs) may be a good solution Jeff. Obviously check with your doctor before changing anything.

Insulin resistance Is a difficult one, your body doesn't produce enough insulin and therefore Stores Carb intake as fat a alot easier than most people.

I would definitely check this video out. LCHF diets spike insulin levels. A HCLF diet decreases them.

“As the amount of fat in our diet gets lower and lower, insulin works better and better. This is a clear demonstration that the sugar tolerance of even healthy individuals can be impaired by administering a low-carb high-fat diet. But we can decrease insulin resistance by decreasing fat intake.”

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/

Once again, you misinterpret the data.

Studies since then have been somewhat equivocal, with some showing higher insulin sensitivity on high-carbohydrate diets (1, 2), and others unable to replicate the finding (3). One potential explanation is that the difference in carbohydrate:fat ratios was not sufficient to see a difference in the studies that did not confirm the effect. As per Dr. Himsworth's finding, reduced insulin sensitivity seems to require a very low carbohydrate intake. Qualitative differences between the fat and carbohydrate sources may also have played a role-- unrefined carbohydrates improve insulin sensitivity more than refined carbohydrates.

Although very low-carbohydrate diets can reduce insulin sensitivity (and this squares with the poor glucose tolerance of many people who have followed very low-carbohydrate diets long-term), I think it is fair to ask whether this is harmful or simply adaptive (pathological vs. physiological). When glucose is scarce in the diet, the body initiates a metabolic program to spare glucose for the brain, which is more dependent on glucose than other organs. Since insulin signals tissues to increase glucose uptake, it is logical to think that insulin resistance might be a way of reducing glucose use by peripheral tissues so that the brain gets a larger share.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-causes-insulin-resistance-part-v.html

You're going off a blogspot.com post for your evidence? How about the National Institute of Health?

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/insulin-resistance-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

Can insulin resistance and prediabetes be reversed?
    Yes... The DPP and other large studies proved that people with prediabetes can often prevent or delay diabetes if they lose a modest amount of weight by cutting fat and calorie intake and increasing physical activity—for example, walking 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

Approaches to Preventing Diabetes
    The DPP tested three approaches to preventing diabetes:
    -Making lifestyle changes. People in the lifestyle change group exercised, usually by walking 5 days a week for about 30 minutes a day, and lowered their intake of fat and calories.
    -Taking the diabetes medication metformin. Those who took metformin also received information about physical activity and diet.
    -Receiving education about diabetes. The third group only received information about physical activity and diet and took a placebo—a pill without medication in it.

In general, people should lose weight by choosing healthy foods, controlling portions, eating less fat, and increasing physical activity. People are better able to lose weight and keep it off when they learn how to adapt their favorite foods to a healthy eating plan.

This - of course - does not CAUSE insulin resistance from all evidence I've read on reputable sources. Being fat (not eating fat) by over-consumption of calories is what causes it. But reducing insulin resistance - according to the NIH - revolves around less calories, less fat and more exercise. They say it quite a few times.

Just saying...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    I stopped doing Atkins when my weight loss staled at 200 lbs and started using the Harris Benedict Formula with a weight loss goal of 5 to 7lbs per month. Now I try to keep my net carbs around 2050 per day, but am wondering if (because on my insulin resistance), I can improve my weight loss by changing my current macros (C 45%, P 35% and F 20%)????

I would have thought lowering your carb intake and replacing it with good fats (nuts, eggs) may be a good solution Jeff. Obviously check with your doctor before changing anything.

Insulin resistance Is a difficult one, your body doesn't produce enough insulin and therefore Stores Carb intake as fat a alot easier than most people.

I would definitely check this video out. LCHF diets spike insulin levels. A HCLF diet decreases them.

“As the amount of fat in our diet gets lower and lower, insulin works better and better. This is a clear demonstration that the sugar tolerance of even healthy individuals can be impaired by administering a low-carb high-fat diet. But we can decrease insulin resistance by decreasing fat intake.”

Studies since then have been somewhat equivocal, with some showing higher insulin sensitivity on high-carbohydrate diets (1, 2), and others unable to replicate the finding (3). One potential explanation is that the difference in carbohydrate:fat ratios was not sufficient to see a difference in the studies that did not confirm the effect. As per Dr. Himsworth's finding, reduced insulin sensitivity seems to require a very low carbohydrate intake. Qualitative differences between the fat and carbohydrate sources may also have played a role-- unrefined carbohydrates improve insulin sensitivity more than refined carbohydrates.

Although very low-carbohydrate diets can reduce insulin sensitivity (and this squares with the poor glucose tolerance of many people who have followed very low-carbohydrate diets long-term), I think it is fair to ask whether this is harmful or simply adaptive (pathological vs. physiological). When glucose is scarce in the diet, the body initiates a metabolic program to spare glucose for the brain, which is more dependent on glucose than other organs. Since insulin signals tissues to increase glucose uptake, it is logical to think that insulin resistance might be a way of reducing glucose use by peripheral tissues so that the brain gets a larger share.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-causes-insulin-resistance-part-v.html

You're going off a blogspot.com post for your evidence? How about the National Institute of Health?

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/insulin-resistance-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

Can insulin resistance and prediabetes be reversed?
    Yes... The DPP and other large studies proved that people with prediabetes can often prevent or delay diabetes if they lose a modest amount of weight by cutting fat and calorie intake and increasing physical activity—for example, walking 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

Approaches to Preventing Diabetes
    The DPP tested three approaches to preventing diabetes:
    -Making lifestyle changes. People in the lifestyle change group exercised, usually by walking 5 days a week for about 30 minutes a day, and lowered their intake of fat and calories.
    -Taking the diabetes medication metformin. Those who took metformin also received information about physical activity and diet.
    -Receiving education about diabetes. The third group only received information about physical activity and diet and took a placebo—a pill without medication in it.

In general, people should lose weight by choosing healthy foods, controlling portions, eating less fat, and increasing physical activity. People are better able to lose weight and keep it off when they learn how to adapt their favorite foods to a healthy eating plan.

This - of course - does not CAUSE insulin resistance from all evidence I've read on reputable sources. Being fat (not eating fat) by over-consumption of calories is what causes it. But reducing insulin resistance - according to the NIH - revolves around less calories, less fat and more exercise. They say it quite a few times.

Just saying...

Yikes. I find it a bit crazy that the NIH does not mention carbohydrate intake once in that link when carb intake usually has a pretty I direct correlation with blood glucose levels. They don't even say to eat to your metre...

According to them I have done everything wrong except for the weight loss, which didn't help with my IR anyways.

ETA weight loss does help many with IR though. Just not all.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

You're going off a blogspot.com post for your evidence?

The author is a neurobiologist and a well-respected, published researcher in the field of obesity, and the article is well-referenced.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since you have health issues, talk with your doctor.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

We both supplied different sources that provide different conclusions. So I am not misinterpreting data, obviously one study is wrong. And as yours is just a blog post, I would say yours is wrong.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

We both supplied different sources that provide different conclusions. So I am not misinterpreting data, obviously one study is wrong. And as yours is just a blog post, I would say yours is wrong.

LOL. You realize your source is "just a blog post" as well. And of course YOU would say it is wrong because everything you've ever said on this site was incorrect.

You're nothing if not consistent.
  • OMP33
    Options

LOL. You realize your source is "just a blog post" as well. And of course YOU would say it is wrong because everything you've ever said on this site was incorrect.

You're saying that scientifically backed evidence from Nutritionfacts.org is just a "blogpost"? I think NF.org is more reputable than the website you cited which was just a blogpost.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

You're saying that scientifically backed evidence from Nutritionfacts.org is just a "blogpost"? I think NF.org is more reputable than the website you cited which was just a blogpost.

You realize that Nutritinfacts.org is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal, right? And that it's run by a single researcher, right? (one with a vegetarian bias, I might add)

• OMP33
    Options

You realize that Nutritinfacts.org is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal, right? And that it's run by a single researcher, right? (one with a vegetarian bias, I might add)

And yours was any better?
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

And yours was any better?

Well, he can tell the difference between transitory an chronic insulin resistance, for one thing.

And lets not forget that not even your source claimed that low carb diets "spike insulin", like you originally claimed.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Since you have health issues, talk with your doctor.

OP this is important. The best post on the thread ^^^

Reading through this thread you see there is conflicting advice. Your doctor knows your condition.

I had prediabetes awhile before I was diagnosed with diabetes. My insurance wouldn't cover a dietician ( they will now). Looking back it would have been worth it to pay out of pocket.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Just saying...
    I think it can be said that the causes of insulin resistance are complex. My BMI has never been higher than 19.6 and if I lose more than 7 pounds from where I'm at now I'd probably look as though I've been in a starving camp. But yet, my long term blood sugar control as tested at my doctor's office would suggest that I certainly am insulin resistant. Clearly, having a lot of excess body fat is not what caused me to become insulin resistant.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and weigh 198 lbs. When I started losing weight, I weighed 225 lbs on Atkins but have since plateaued. I am insulin resistant and to lose weight I have restricted my daily calorie intake to 2050 calories with macros of Carbs 45%, Protein 35% and Fats 20%. I follow my calorie intake strictly, but am still finding it hard to lose weight (remain in 196 to 200 lbs range; even though I exercise regularly). Any suggestions on how I might change my macros to improve my weight loss?

@Jeffy80922 I'm not exactly sure which diet you're following, but if it's Atkins then you have your numbers backward.

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Everything @rabbitjb said is fantastic, including the video. You really could be taking in more calories than you think. If you are tracking as accurately as possible, are you eating back your exercise calories, netting 2050? Calculations like Harris-Bene is just a best guess to get you started. Your total daily calorie output including exercise may be closer to 2050 than you think and combined with MFP overestimating a lot of exercise calories, you could be eating at maintenance and not even know it. Along with inflated exercise burns many food entries on here, including the verified ones, can be way off. I've been on here almost four years and I still regularly check entries against sites like www.beefnutrition.org. Unfortunate, even with MFP being the best free site available, you still have to do your due diligence.

However, after all that, since you do have a medical condition that is heavily affected by diet, your best bet is to see your GP and get a referral to a registered dietician. They'll help you set safe and healthy macros for you.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm even more hyperglycemic than pre-diabetes, and I was/am also at a great weight. But most folks who have it really are overfat and losing weight helps them.

That's why the NIH info makes sense. Cutting fat and calories will work on a population level, because they lose weight. Cutting fat as a macro to help glucose levels themselves seems like it's focusing on exactly the one macro that matters the least to glucose metabolism, however.

Use a meter for your own testing over at least a month. Perhaps you can borrow someone's or get one of the free meters that expect you'll buy their strips forever (that's where the $$ is).

If you can't, then yeah, you need to look at carbs and eat like a diabetic since you won't know your own levels. Generally folks eat a certain number of carbs per meal and for snacks and try to spread them out over the day. Then the total number can still matter for overnight levels, so watching that can be very important, too. Try to eat, say, 150 or below for a moderate amount of carbs and divide them into meals (and snacks).

Then you can also eat low glycemic carbs for even more beneficial effect on levels. They get released more evenly, so you don't get the spikes.

I eat moderate carb, mostly low-to-medium GI and eat to my meter. I also have to eat half a portion of some yummy things and not have the rest for two hours. That helps a whole lot in bringing down levels, as does exercise and medication (I do take metformin). I do have to watch the day's total as my waking BG is my biggest problem. The type of carbs seem to affect that a lot for me, too, so my moderate carbs sure all can't be cake or I'll see it the next morning ;)
  • Jeffy80922
    Jeffy80922 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that feedback. This is one of the best and informative responses I've received. I do have a blood glucose meter and was prescribed to take Metformin also, but since losing 25lbs my blood glucose levels have remained in a healthy range and I have stopped taking Metformin to avoid having my blood sugar go too low. I guess the main part of my question was essentially, because I have been diagnosed as diabetic, should I reduce my carb macro percentage in order to lose weight on a consistent basis. In terms of exercise, I'm very active...burning up to as much as 2000 to 2400 calories per week. Based on the feedback that I have received, I've decided to change my weight loss calories and macros to: 2000 net carbs a day with macros of P/40, C/20, and F/40.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're diabetic now? You said insulin resistance in first post

Isn't there a blood sugar reading at a specific point past eating you need to monitor to establish your carb limits per meal?

Speak to your diabetes education nurse or doctor not take advice from Internet posters without access to your med records
  • Jeffy80922
    Jeffy80922 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tried making it clear in my post that I AM NO LONGER FOLLOWING AN ATKINS DIET PLAN...but I guess some of the people who have responded to my initial post have not read that far. I really appreciate the responses though, but no longer doing Atkins. Using Harris Benedict equation to get my maintenance calories and using a per day 538 calorie deficit to lose a projected 5lbs in 30 days. My question, once again, is more centered around what my macros should be (particularly as it relates to carbs) on a weight loss diet for a person that is insulin resistant (diabetic or pre-diabetic)????
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tried making it clear in my post that I AM NO LONGER FOLLOWING AN ATKINS DIET PLAN...but I guess some of the people who have responded to my initial post have not read that far. I really appreciate the responses though, but no longer doing Atkins. Using Harris Benedict equation to get my maintenance calories and using a per day 538 calorie deficit to lose a projected 5lbs in 30 days. My question, once again, is more centered around what my macros should be (particularly as it relates to carbs) on a weight loss diet for a person that is insulin resistant (diabetic or pre-diabetic)????

60% carbs, 20/20% protein and fats from a whole-food plant-based diet. If you really are not sure, ask your doctor.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options