To eat or not to eat with the grilled chicken breast

Options
13»

Replies

• foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    I love Black and Brown Rice.

If you want convenience, Uncle Bens makes a rice pouch that you put in the microwave for 90 seconds and has about 2 cups of rice in it. I buy the Wild and Whole grains variety, it has Black, Brown and Red rices though buying the dry, bulk or bagged rice is always better so you can season it yourself. the prepared rices have a ton of sodium.

I personally cannot stand cauliflower, but my girlfriend makes this Mashed Cauliflower in place of Potatoes. My kids hate Cauliflower too, but they eat them mashed if we don't tell them its Cauliflower, just put a little butter, garlic and pepper and they don't even notice.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli
    Cottage Cheese
    Green beans
    Salad
    Cucumbers with cherry tomatoes and onions with vinegar
    Steamed Cauliflower
    Sautéed green peppers, red peppers and mushrooms.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I made some corn tortillas fried them up. Pan friend some chicken breast with taco seasoning and lime juice, and made chicken tostatdas that was pretty good.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love chicken! It's my staple!

I fry it in a pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil, seal both sides, throw in some boiling water to the base of the pan, add salt pepper herbs (tarragon is great, or oregano, thyme, whatever you like) juice of a lemon, simmer til the water has gone ... Delicious, eat hot or cold.

Serve with a green salad, or steamed vegetables, or in bread, or make a tomato pasta sauce.

Make a filo pastry topped tangle pie with leeks and a little cheese and the cooked chicken (Hairy Biker diet recipe - SERIOUSLY good!)
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm the only meatatarian in the family, so i usually just eat them at lunch time. I bbq or roast up a bunch, and when i reheat them later, i just eat them with salsa.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh and my favourite ...
    Chicken fillet topped with half a sliced avocado and 2 rashers of bacon with a green salad ... Have it with or without the bun, with or without fries!
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I actually love chicken breasts, and I find them really versatile. My current favorite recipes is Balsamic Chicken with Pears and Cherries. The sauce is delicious (recipe below). Also, for really juicy chicken breasts, I pound mine to about 1/4-1/2 inch uniform thickness, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, toss it into an already hot pan with some olive oil, and cook it for no more than 3 minutes on each side.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/BalsChickenPear.htm

Ooh.. I've never seen a recipe with cherries, but I make this version a lot:

https://mypanera.panerabread.com/recipes/recipe/balsamic-honey-chicken/

It goes well over brown rice, quinoa, or couscous if the sauce is a little thin. If you add an extra 1/2 tsp corn starch it makes a nice glaze and I eat it with a side salad. This sauce recipe is so simple you can also swap out ingredients to make other sauces. For example: chicken broth > orange juice concentrate; vinegar > low sodium soy sauce; honey > omit (OJ already has a lot of sugar!) and add spices to taste (crushed garlic, onion powder, ground ginger, red pepper flakes) and you have homemade orange chicken! Instead of the pears, just use regular stir-fry veggies.

Another recipe I've been making frequently: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-chicken-penne-in-lemon-basil-sauce/
    The sauce also works on gnocchi, but you can certainly omit the pasta and add a veggie of your choice (yellow squash, maybe?).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We just nuke some frozen veggies.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken but use the boneless/skinless for certain things. I like to make fajitas with them with onions, red/yellow/green/orange peppers, mushrooms and zucchini. I make my own "fajita seasoning" using spices from my cabinet. (The seasoning envelopes in the store are full of MSG and other undesirables, so I avoid them personally.) I serve fajitas with black beans, tortillas and guacamole. If you're watching sodium I definitely recommend cooking beans from scratch. If you have a crock pot this can be done very easily. I also like boneless/skinless for curries. Last night I made chicken tikka masala and served it with cumin rice. I'm not sure what your cuisine preferences are but...

I love baked sweet potatoes with a little butter and cinnamon to balance out a very spicy chicken meal. Salads are another favorite side. The dressing and toppings depend on how I season the chicken. If I'm smothering the chicken in homemade buffalo sauce then I make blue cheese dressing for my salad. If I'm doing a Greek rub then I might do a balsamic or red wine vinaigrette. If I'm doing a lemon/herb chicken then I like roasted asparagus as a side. When I make chicken with homemade BBQ sauce I like to do steamed broccoli with some cheese melted on top for a side. It really depends, but you can't go wrong with veggies, and they're good for you.

Boneless skinless does not have to be flavorless. :) For tonight's dinner I made an "alfredo" sauce and separately sauteed chunks of boneless/skinless thighs (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried herbs) in a little olive oil. I served this on top of fettucine. Tomorrow we're having crock pot tacos. I made some tomatillo salsa and tomorrow morning I will throw some boneless/skinless breasts into the crock pot with the salsa and let it go til evening. It falls apart and makes great taco meat. I'm going to serve it in mini corn tortillas with shredded cabbage and crema with a side of black beans. I cook my black beans with chopped onions, minced garlic, a little salt and ground cumin.

Mmm ... those all sound so good. Would you be willing to tell us how you make these things, especially the tikka masala, cumin rice, tomatilo sauce, the fajita seasoning---well, everything really?
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I either have veggies that come frozen cause they save time, or you can buy kale, lettuce, spinach, carrots, cucumbers or any salad item u like and pre chop it all and keep it in a container for easy grabbing and eating all week. With a tbsp of Italian dressing its delish. You can also boil like 6 eggs at the beginning of the week to add to it. Or I like to make a big pot of beans just boiled and have some throughout the week. Boiled beans at home do not require much salt to taste yummy. I like Peruvian, pinto and black but Peruvian I find take the least amount of salt. Oh lentils is a good one too u can cook it with kale, spinach, onions, tomatoes, carrots and celery and should hold in the fridge a few days. Quinoa is good too just a bit high in carbs
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, spinach, peas, or avocado. Sometimes a combination of all of those things, cooked in butter. Amazing.

Baked or roasted slices of well seasoned chicken breast with slices of avocado, dusted with pepper, is especially out of this world.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    asapragus grilled with garlic, squash with green chilis and tomatoes, zuchini oven crisped
  • dianaco123
    dianaco123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I saw Rocco DiSpirito on Good Morning America yesterday and he made healthy chicken parm. I made it today, it was awesome. The recipe is on their website if anyone is interested. I also am going to make the chicken and coat it in Frank's Red Hot sauce or BWW mild sauce, yummy.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies (Asparagus, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, red potatoes, or zucchani. Clean, slice, pour a little olive oil and salt over the veggies and place on grill towards the end of grilling your chicken. (with the red potatoes, I find the cook better if I cut them in 1/2 and par boil them before grilling).

Cole Slaw with little dressing; green salad, brown rice, sweet potato (baked).
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BBQ con on the cob in the husk, BBQ zucchini-slice into long thick fried shapes, toss with olive oil and seasoning of choice and BBQ on some foil, BBQ or sauteed mushrooms/portabello mushrooms, baked sweet potato, salad etc.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm pretty sure boneless skinless grilled chicken breasts are a staple of just about everyone's diet on here, but my question is what do you normally eat with your grilled chicken?

For a side item I sometimes use Bush baked beans because it's super easy to prepare, but I don't think that's working out for me because of the sodium, sugar and carbs.

Also I rotate in sweet potatos, Steamers broccoli, corn on the cob. Any other healthy alternatives?

brown rice
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I saw Rocco DiSpirito on Good Morning America yesterday and he made healthy chicken parm. I made it today, it was awesome. The recipe is on their website if anyone is interested. I also am going to make the chicken and coat it in Frank's Red Hot sauce or BWW mild sauce, yummy.

Thanks---I printed the recipe and hope to try it soon. Looks good.