Green tea?

I'm thinking of starting to drink green tea, does anyone else drink it?
I've read it helps with weight loss?
But does it taste nice or not?

Any info would be great thankyou

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Some people like it. Some people love it. It's important to brew it correctly so it doesn't get bitter.

For weight loss, it's not really going to do much. It can help keep you fuller and is nice if you need to replace calorie-laden drinks or snacks. But the idea of green tea boosting your metabolism or causing weight loss has been totally overblown by the media. A good diet is still the best way to lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    It's not a favorite of mine.

I seriously doubt that it helps anyone lose weight faster. Just some more weight loss woo to fool people.
  • Chupiite
    Chupiite Posts: 55 Member
    Hi, I drink 3 cups of green tea every day, I'm not sure if it helps with wight loss, but it's a lil detox for your body witch is good and that's one good reason to drink it.
    Just in case I know it's tastes like nearby pond water so I add slice of lemon, tastes much better ;)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Chupiite wrote: »
    Hi, I drink 3 cups of green tea every day, I'm not sure if it helps with wight loss, but it's a lil detox for your body witch is good and that's one good reason to drink it.
    Just in case I know it's tastes like nearby pond water so I add slice of lemon, tastes much better ;)

Do you mean "detox" as in it helps hydrate you and keep water weight retention low? Or do you mean it clears toxins from your body? Detox is one of those words that's losing all meaning in the media. I'd agree that it's nice for hydration. I'd disagree that it has any kind of detoxifying effects.
  • jessicaaar22
    jessicaaar22 Posts: 41 Member
    Oh okay! Thankyou so much for all of your replies!

If I do start drinking it what time is good to drink is as I no it's got caffeine in the tea!

So would morning be best? Or mid lunchtime?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I don't like green tea, I prefer black. It's all just what you prefer, I think. If you're sensitive to caffeine like I am, morning is better. I can't have any caffeine after like 2pm or I won't ever sleep.
  • Chupiite

Do you mean "detox" as in it helps hydrate you and keep water weight retention low? Or do you mean it clears toxins from your body? Detox is one of those words that's losing all meaning in the media. I'd agree that it's nice for hydration. I'd disagree that it has any kind of detoxifying effects.

I mean clear some toxins :)
  • Chupiite
    I drink it usually after lunch and dinner, don't feel like it messing up my sleeps :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited February 2016

Which "toxins", specifically, does it "clear"? And how?
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member

Your body removes toxins...nothing you ingest will remove toxins. ...it will however make your wallet lighter.
  • jessicaaar22
    Okay thankyou all for this information I will give it ago and see how it works out!

Thankyou for getting back to me so quickly!

• Chupiite
    Well it does really clean my stomach... I guess not everybody's body reacts in same way to same thing... I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't works for you... What else I can say..
  • maxhaddock
    maxhaddock Posts: 2 Member
    Despite green tea not removing any toxins like a magic bullet, it does have a fair amount of antioxidants which are good for your body. However-its just a piece of bigger health plan. No one thing does everything. Except the shake weight! Shake-Weight.jpg
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Well it does really clean my stomach... I guess not everybody's body reacts in same way to same thing... I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't works for you... What else I can say..

Green tea won't "clean" your stomach. Digestive enzymes and Hydrochloric Acid "clean" your stomach. If green tea had the same chemical capabilities of Hydrochloric Acid, your teeth would all fall out from drinking it (sort of the same way bulimic's teeth rot from being exposed to HCL all the time, it eats the enamel away it's so powerful).

There's an "in soviet Russia HCL cleans green tea" meme somewhere in here...
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    I drank green tea every day for a summer and noticed nothing except it won't break my heart if I never drink it again.

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    I love green tea. Warm or iced. And it's loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I like flavored green tea (Lipton Orange Passionfruit Jasmine or Acai Dragonfriut Melon are my favorites). I just plop a tea bag in my water bottle.

It's tasty, and allows me to indulge my hand-to-mouth habit without adding calories I'd rather spend on food. That's the only way it helps to lose weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,115 Member
    I don't care much for green tea. I prefer black or just herbal teas especially mint teas. It doesn't matter what time you drink it. I try not to drink much of anything too close to bedtime or I'll wake up in the night needing to pee.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I like green tea with jasmine or mint. I'm more of a fan of black teas. I also like hojicha (roasted green tea) and bancha (coarser leaves and stems) and genmaicha (green tea with toasted brown rice) because they have heartier flavors (which might make them more appealing to coffee fans). Plain old green tea, I'm not so crazy about.

I try to drink more green tea because I have prostate cancer and some studies suggest that green tea may be helpful with it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163457/
  • jessicaaar22
    vingogly wrote: »
    I like green tea with jasmine or mint. I'm more of a fan of black teas. I also like hojicha (roasted green tea) and bancha (coarser leaves and stems) and genmaicha (green tea with toasted brown rice) because they have heartier flavors (which might make them more appealing to coffee fans). Plain old green tea, I'm not so crazy about.

I try to drink more green tea because I have prostate cancer and some studies suggest that green tea may be helpful with it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163457/

Thankyou for your advice and info.
    Sorry to hear that you have cancer.