Green tea?

Options

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It tastes a little grassy, but I drink a cup sometimes at work and sometimes at home after dinner. I always drink it plain with nothing in it.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I drink the bottled green ice tea. It helps me keep hydrated,, but it hasn't helped with weight loss.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lipton makes a green tea that has a mint flavour. I quite like it. I don't mind green tea but by no means do I love it, I find the mint makes it a bit better. I have 2-3 cups a day but have only started it recently so can't really say. It's a nice break from water though!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Chupiite wrote: »
    Hi, I drink 3 cups of green tea every day, I'm not sure if it helps with wight loss, but it's a lil detox for your body witch is good and that's one good reason to drink it.
    Just in case I know it's tastes like nearby pond water so I add slice of lemon, tastes much better ;)

Do you mean "detox" as in it helps hydrate you and keep water weight retention low? Or do you mean it clears toxins from your body? Detox is one of those words that's losing all meaning in the media. I'd agree that it's nice for hydration. I'd disagree that it has any kind of detoxifying effects.

I mean clear some toxins :)

I mean ... NO it doesn't.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There are countless green teas and they all taste different. Go to a tea shop and sample some to find what you like.

We always have dragon pearls, sencha, genmaicha (has puffed rice), jasmine.....plus others. Also countless flavoured versions.

Important to remember to not use boiling water as you would black/red tea. 190 vs 212. Also, the second or third pour of water on the same leaves is the best drink for that tea.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi, I drink 3 cups of green tea every day, I'm not sure if it helps with wight loss, but it's a lil detox for your body witch is good and that's one good reason to drink it.
    Just in case I know it's tastes like nearby pond water so I add slice of lemon, tastes much better ;)

Do you mean "detox" as in it helps hydrate you and keep water weight retention low? Or do you mean it clears toxins from your body? Detox is one of those words that's losing all meaning in the media. I'd agree that it's nice for hydration. I'd disagree that it has any kind of detoxifying effects.

I mean ... NO it doesn't.

You need to eat more often
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Your body removes toxins...nothing you ingest will remove toxins. ...it will however make your wallet lighter.

9tnn2tf0a80p.jpg
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Your body removes toxins...nothing you ingest will remove toxins. ...it will however make your wallet lighter.

9tnn2tf0a80p.jpg

I love that line "If your liver isn't working you need a hospital" :D
  • frugalshrimp
    frugalshrimp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Drink it if you like it, but do NOT drink it to lose weight. It DOES NOT WORK as a weight loss supplement. Lots of research studies have shown this. Not even in super concentrated form (as capsules). Save your money. The sad truth remains that weight loss is about what (and how much) you eat and exercise. The magic bullet does NOT exist.
  • siobhancollins90
    siobhancollins90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I personally drink 1 cup of mint green tea at work on weekdays during my break. I feel great after it and it almost feels like you have just brushed your teeth and don't need to eat anything else if that makes sense? Although it's not directly linked to weight loss it is a diuretic as far as I'm aware.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like green tea in the mornings. The caffeine does help you feel full longer, but it's no magic bullet. I tend to drink it because it tastes good and a hot drink on a cold morning makes me feel better. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I personally drink 1 cup of mint green tea at work on weekdays during my break. I feel great after it and it almost feels like you have just brushed your teeth and don't need to eat anything else if that makes sense? Although it's not directly linked to weight loss it is a diuretic as far as I'm aware.

It has less caffeine than a cup of coffee, so the diuretic effect would be about as strong as drinking an equivalent sized glass of water.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like green tea with a bit of stevia (sweetleaf brand doesn't have much aftertaste, like some other brands). It helps me as a replacement for sweets. Make sure you don't steep it too long or it will get bitter.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of green tea myself, but have read that it does have some health benefits, even better than black tea (more antioxidants/polyphenols, IIRC). And it does have caffeine, but much less than coffee, which I've been trying to eliminate.

What I found works for me is to make a pot of tea in the morning with 1/2 black tea and 1/2 green tea (I use loose tea, but you could use 1 tea bag of each kind in a small-medium teapot). I then drink it WITHOUT milk (I remember reading somewhere that adding milk to tea negated the antioxidant benefits somehow), but I do add a little stevia some days. Weaning off that now.

Try green tea on its own; if you can't abide it, try my half-and-half recipe.
  • chimpy123
    edited February 2016
    Options
    careful with green tea and milk - some types may curdle the milk
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Is Lipton Diet Green Tea, good for you??
  • chimpy123
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've never had it but are these the ingredients? This is what I found when I googled it..

Water, Citric Acid, Sodium Hexametaphosphate (to Protect Flavor), Green Tea, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (to protect flavor), Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (preserves freshness), Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), Caramel Color, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

If these are the ingredients I would probably say no, not good for you.

You can make iced green tea - steep green teas bags 2-3 min (any longer and it gets bitter), add a bit of stevia if you like it sweeter, add things like fresh lemon, ginger, etc depending on your taste preferences and then chill the beverage
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy tea - it's a tasty, 0 calorie (virtually) drink. Sometimes water just gets boring!

Other than that, I really don't think it's all that magical.
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything for weight loss. Or anything else. I do love Arizona Zero green tea with ginseng though. Wicked good.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup every morning when I'm at work. It has tremendous health benefits and it DOES help your body burn fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea/