Vegans/vegetarians/or trying!?

Options
1235»

Replies

• courters123
    courters123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I meant to ask do any vegetarians ever find themselves very tired? I've been a vegetarian for over a year and a half and at the beginning I was so good at getting the right nutrients but havn't been eating right for a long time! Was just wondering if anyone else ever came across this problem of being so so tired?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I meant to ask do any vegetarians ever find themselves very tired? I've been a vegetarian for over a year and a half and at the beginning I was so good at getting the right nutrients but havn't been eating right for a long time! Was just wondering if anyone else ever came across this problem of being so so tired?

Various dietary deficiencies can make you feel tired. I don't know what you mean by "haven't been eating right," but it may be time to begin focusing on what you eat or speak to a doctor.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Various dietary deficiencies can make you feel tired. I don't know what you mean by "haven't been eating right," but it may be time to begin focusing on what you eat or speak to a doctor.

I agree with all of the above, but if it's an option, you really should see a doctor and have some blood panels. When I first started my vegan journey years ago, and before I knew enough about proper nutrition, I went through something similar. In my case it was a lack of certain necessary nutrients that needed to be addressed by my way of eating. (zinc, B12, and VitD in my case) Not a big difference, mind you, but enough of one to correct the deficiencies I had created by not eating correctly.

It might be such that you can easily reverse the problem if this is the reason for your lethargy... but it might also be the case that some medical intervention in the shape of prescribed vitamins/minerals or vitamin injections will be required to address the issue in the short term.

We also don't really know what your intake is like since your diary is closed, but it could also be the number of calories that you are intaking is not sufficient for your needs, which is much more easily fixed. Or perhaps your macro ratio isn't the most satiating for you.

Either way, opening your diary will lead to others being able to give you more meaningful advice.

*edited for clarity
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    vegan since the day after Christmas, so just a little more than a month but I don't see going back to eating animals...curious to hear about how any of you decided to go vegan, why you started and if you get any negative reactions from people when/if others find out that you are vegan and how you handle it. And curious to hear more about the scientific evidence vs. "the feels"

Mine is more health and the feels I guess. My hubby is just now seeing me eat different and said he might go dairy free ( he's a vegetarian lacto ovo) he has migraines and avoids lots of things. He said being vegan is too hard to get protein. I had let that steer me away feeling I could not bc I love dairy and meat! But I just did it and have not had any issues getting protein! I have no cravings or sugar cravings and no energy dips anymore. I feel awesome!

did you use "steer" to be ironic? :) Why did you decide to give up meat and dairy?

Actually no! Lol not intentionally. I just wanted to try being meat and dairy free to see if I felt better egg free too. I don't miss it too much honestly though a challenge to figure out how and what to eat some days!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for life. Add me, though I eat a lot of Indian food.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein, hemp seed, peas, edamame, kale, broccoli, spirulina, chloerella are some alternatives to soy. There is also kidney bean tempeh ( which is soy less) malinga powder, the Sacha inchi or inca peanut ( 60%protein!) nuts seeds, beans and legumes are all good protein sources as well there is grains like oats, millet, amaranth, triticale, buckwheat, oat groats, wheat berries, Farro, and more. There is soy, tempeh, tofu, seitan, miso. ( if you are ok w soy and gluten) oh and you can make you own seitan at home from what I read)
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Oh and home made protein balls! I made some they have a nut butter, a greens powder, chia, hemp hearts, oats and dates. There are a lot of online recipes from them and it's super easy to make ( also like fat bombs to boost fats) all you need is a blender:) or I made roasted chickpeas that's a good protein source too.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian who tries to make a lot of vegan choices. I'm a student, so the only thing standing in my way is that fully vegan options are sometimes out of my price range.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    There's a book called the 4$ vegan. I don't know if you can cook at your dorm if you live on campus but cooking everything yourself is cheaper. Than buying the premade processed things like burgers and cheese or mayo even. Even egg replacements. I've searched high and low ( I am on extreme budget (40 for two weeks) I've found that 1. Discount grocers are our friend 2. Do canned if you can't afford fresh or frozen it's twice as cheap ( spaghetti squash was1.35 a lb I could not afford that so I got canned yellow squash two cans .98 c ea.) 3. Shop around at different grocers for best prices4. Check out Asian/Mexican grocers they may sell Indian bulk foods at great prices spices and flours are way cheaper ( I found black salt for egg flavor for 99c)4.) buy your nuts from the baking isle bigger sizes or you can buy half cup sizes for cheaper on expensive nuts and they are in raw state I found Walmart has a pretty good selection5. Make soups and chilis ( maybe not in a dorm for lack of freezer space tho) as they make multiple meals 6. Use the cheaper veggies lik cucumber 7. Grow your own you can have a small container with different lettuces and herbs they grow back fairly quick too.
  • triciegirl2014
    triciegirl2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was overweight became a vegetarian for 10 years over all gained weight because I was really a starchetarian. I experimented with veganism for 3 months and raw food vegan for 3 weeks of that in that 10 year period. I went back to eating chicken and fish and lost 30 lbs (at first)probably bc I reduced the starch. I have since gained it back and now I am on journey to mostly plant based with whole foods.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Closing in on 40 years of vegetarian, or more accurately vegan + small amounts of milk products.

I don't recommend veganism as a fad or for dieting, but it is a great and ethical lifestyle change.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i have vegan powers

Are they useful powers, though? My powers seem to consist mostly of annoying people and making lame *kitten* jokes, neither are useful.

And farting.

My vegan friends can clear a room like nobody's business.

When I had chickpea pasta, I cleared the room; I know because I left, the room!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    vegan since the day after Christmas, so just a little more than a month but I don't see going back to eating animals...curious to hear about how any of you decided to go vegan, why you started and if you get any negative reactions from people when/if others find out that you are vegan and how you handle it. And curious to hear more about the scientific evidence vs. "the feels"

I decided to start my transition, into becoming a Vegan; February 12th. I decided 1st for health, 2nd environmental & 3rd for animals. I don't have anyone in my life, besides myself that'd care to know; so I've made no announcement (beyond discussing it here on MFP) & I haven't changed, the status on my dating profiles either; since "converting" isn't an optional choice. However I'll make a note of it, within those profiles. I have no friends (thanks disability) & my family'd just ridicule me. Therefore I'd only make it known to them, if I have to.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    thanks for the responses! I have only recently started to think about things differently and it has been a pretty radical shift from how I have been eating/living before this, or maybe NOT thinking about it at all, so I'm curious to know how others have turned to the vegan side :) or maybe it always made sense to you? the culture around the world seems to be overwhelmingly carnivorous and I never stopped to question any of it until very recently. I would love to hear more from any of you!

I definitely understand that, I didn't always believe that we shouldn't consume animals; unless necessary but especially with having a debilitating disability & thus because I am unable to work, I can't choose my income level either; by say getting a 2nd job, etc. So I stuck to what I knew, was tasty; for me. However since I am consuming less, that means that I am spending less money & therefore have that money to buy healthier/satiated food; since it costs more and/or try something that I haven't, that I could afford to potentially waste; if I didn't like it. However this lifestyle change, doesn't just involve food; so I have to be sure that I can afford all of these changes.
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 8 years! Recently been all plant based and loving it! Anyone can add me, I try to be a very supportive friend on here. (:
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    (:
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I so wish I wouldn't enjoy eating meat so much for ethical / animal welfare reasons. If there was a really tasty meat alternative I would jump at the chance, but in the UK I've tried most meat alternatives available in supermarkets and sadly just didn't like the taste. This was a few years ago admittedly. Since then we have simply changed how much, where and what we buy (eat less meat, buy non-factory farmed, local and organic), but I would still like to do more.

Anyone in the UK who can perhaps recommend any additions to the meat-free ranges in recent years? Any new brands or products? Thanks x

How about trying to create, your own? That's what I'd like to try, to do because then I'd be able to also; choose/control the ingredients as well.
  • kibby121
    kibby121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What's your diet like?
    Do you workout a lot?
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I so wish I wouldn't enjoy eating meat so much for ethical / animal welfare reasons. If there was a really tasty meat alternative I would jump at the chance, but in the UK I've tried most meat alternatives available in supermarkets and sadly just didn't like the taste. This was a few years ago admittedly. Since then we have simply changed how much, where and what we buy (eat less meat, buy non-factory farmed, local and organic), but I would still like to do more.

Anyone in the UK who can perhaps recommend any additions to the meat-free ranges in recent years? Any new brands or products? Thanks x

How about trying to create, your own? That's what I'd like to try, to do because then I'd be able to also; choose/control the ingredients as well.

I think quorn sells products there. But really there are so many variants on making your own! I like quinoa burgers and once made a broccoli burger from a recipe ( I can't find again