Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i have vegan powers
  • RoCla
    RoCla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since I was 5 years old (too many years to admit), and simple refused to eat meat, fish and poultry products. I have never been vegan. I do like my cheese and eggs... I avoid milk and milk products in favor of almond milk when using due to a degree of lactose intolerance. I have always been a fresh food girl and have used stevia, honey and maple syrup as sweeteners for 40+ years and am amused at how readily available more of what I have always used has become. I am not a vegetarian as much for my health as I am due to my love for animals. I have always found it a bit confounding that when a restaurant tries to make a menu more vegetarian friendly, they tend to serve items that mimic the look and texture of meats. There are a fair number of us out here who never have really chosen to eat meat and do not find these foods appealing.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i have vegan powers

Are they useful powers, though? My powers seem to consist mostly of annoying people and making lame *kitten* jokes, neither are useful.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i have vegan powers

Are they useful powers, though? My powers seem to consist mostly of annoying people and making lame *kitten* jokes, neither are useful.

And farting.

My vegan friends can clear a room like nobody's business.
  • chrisHarrington725
    Options
    vegan since the day after Christmas, so just a little more than a month but I don't see going back to eating animals...curious to hear about how any of you decided to go vegan, why you started and if you get any negative reactions from people when/if others find out that you are vegan and how you handle it. And curious to hear more about the scientific evidence vs. "the feels"
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    vegan since the day after Christmas, so just a little more than a month but I don't see going back to eating animals...curious to hear about how any of you decided to go vegan, why you started and if you get any negative reactions from people when/if others find out that you are vegan and how you handle it. And curious to hear more about the scientific evidence vs. "the feels"

Mine is more health and the feels I guess. My hubby is just now seeing me eat different and said he might go dairy free ( he's a vegetarian lacto ovo) he has migraines and avoids lots of things. He said being vegan is too hard to get protein. I had let that steer me away feeling I could not bc I love dairy and meat! But I just did it and have not had any issues getting protein! I have no cravings or sugar cravings and no energy dips anymore. I feel awesome!
  • jayla73
    jayla73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 3 months now and 1 years before this. Before that I was vegetarian for 1 year. I'd love to be friends with anyone. Lately though I've been a junk food vegan since I'm in college and on a budget. This month I'm hopefully getting better with eating more veggies and fruits once the warmer weather comes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I went vegan because I object to unnecessarily harming animals. I started about ten years ago. I occasionally get a negative reaction from someone, but usually people are either just mildly curious or don't care. If someone has a negative reaction, I usually just move on. It is more about them than it is about me.
  • chrisHarrington725
    Options
    thanks for the responses! I have only recently started to think about things differently and it has been a pretty radical shift from how I have been eating/living before this, or maybe NOT thinking about it at all, so I'm curious to know how others have turned to the vegan side :) or maybe it always made sense to you? the culture around the world seems to be overwhelmingly carnivorous and I never stopped to question any of it until very recently. I would love to hear more from any of you!
  • chrisHarrington725
    Options

I went vegan because I object to unnecessarily harming animals. I started about ten years ago. I occasionally get a negative reaction from someone, but usually people are either just mildly curious or don't care. If someone has a negative reaction, I usually just move on. It is more about them than it is about me.

do you remember when you had this objection? I never stopped to think about it long enough (or maybe I didn't want to think about it?) until recently.
  • chrisHarrington725
    Options

Mine is more health and the feels I guess. My hubby is just now seeing me eat different and said he might go dairy free ( he's a vegetarian lacto ovo) he has migraines and avoids lots of things. He said being vegan is too hard to get protein. I had let that steer me away feeling I could not bc I love dairy and meat! But I just did it and have not had any issues getting protein! I have no cravings or sugar cravings and no energy dips anymore. I feel awesome!

did you use "steer" to be ironic? :) Why did you decide to give up meat and dairy?
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    VEGAN 2 years and veggie before that for over 10 years... VEGANISM is the best change ive made. hells yes to eating all u want and maintaining weight. and to all those raw vegan cheesecakes, nice creams, rawreos etc...... aaahhhhhh love
  • SmileAwhile242
    SmileAwhile242 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for a few months. Looking for helpful hints and recipes!! Please add me!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Tell him that this guy says you can get plenty of protein even being vegan. ;)http://www.forksoverknives.com/vegan-bodybuilder-plant-based-diet/

And so do they: http://www.forksoverknives.com/father-daughter-team-living-examples-of-plant-fueled-fitness-and-success/?fb_ref=939346137ff24cb38fd075139f718fb4-Facebook

• miryamch420
    miryamch420 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am trying to eat vegan but it's so hard to get enough proteins. My recent discovery of legumes has changed my life, but it's just so easy to open a tuna can, or add cottage cheese to the mix. I tried tofu but it wasn't a success. Also, I resist the idea of protein shakes.. for now..
    All this to say, I am not vegan! but add me if you like
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Options
    Been Vegetarian for nearly two years now and at the moment trying to eat as vegan as I can though I have my slip ups!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

do you remember when you had this objection? I never stopped to think about it long enough (or maybe I didn't want to think about it?) until recently.

I don't think I ever, even as a child, felt good about killing someone else in order to fulfill a taste preference. But I never really had the follow through to stop. As I learned more about how animals are treated in my twenties, it just didn't become something I could support any longer.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    VEGAN 2 years and veggie before that for over 10 years... VEGANISM is the best change ive made. hells yes to eating all u want and maintaining weight. and to all those raw vegan cheesecakes, nice creams, rawreos etc...... aaahhhhhh love

Calories still count for vegans. It's possible for a vegan to gain weight or even be overweight. And this is a good thing. If it wasn't, vegan children and teenagers could never thrive and vegan athletes could never put on muscle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, or vegetarian for that matter, but due to preference I find my diet to be largely plant-based and only very few, very particular and very infrequent meat dishes. I find myself looking for ways and new dishes that help me achieve good nutrition despite my meat picky-ness because I'm tired of milk and yogurts every day whenever my protein suffers. So any resources of good vegetarian reasonable calorie dishes that don't contain soy or vegan specialty foods (too expensive and scarce to be worth it) I'm all ears.
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Vegan! But not exactly a paragon of health :P

Haha yes, it can be tricky!! Probably why I'm not a complete vegan.. At least at this stage of my life, it's not quite achievable/sustainable in a healthy way

Why is it not "quite achievable/sustainable in a healthy way?"