Vegans/vegetarians/or trying!?

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Meaning, simply that I follow science, scientific studies, and actual evidence based approaches. Many of the Vegans that I've known personally in my local area follow anecdotal evidence or "the feels" more than anything else. I'm strictly referring to nutrition advice regarding dietary intake and not philosophical reasons. My philosophical reasons align with the core values of Veganism in general.

*Edited to correct spelling.
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Vegan here for over 2 years and veggie for 5 before that! Anybody add me if they'd like :smile:
  • PudgyPanda91
    PudgyPanda91 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian for six months today! :)

Not necessarily eating as healthily as I could be though.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Vegetable based doesn't necessarily mean vegetarian. I know vegetarians and vegans who barely eat any fruit or vegetables, and plenty of omnivores who eat lots of vegetables. :s
    Good luck with your goals!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    I try and be as vegan as possible.

You know Gummy Bears are barely vegetarian, much less vegan?

I have gummy bears made with agar agar, no gelatin in them.

Right, so you just don't log accurately then? Because the brand listed in your diary contains gelatine.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I have gummy bears made with agar agar, no gelatin in them.

Right, so you just don't log accurately then? Because the brand listed in your diary contains gelatine.

I typed in gummy bears in my search and they came up so thats what I put. If I'm having pasta for dinner one night, I'm not hunting down the exact brand of pasta. I use MFP as an estimation so I don't choose all the correct type brands of food.

I'll change it if it makes you feel better.
  • zula154
    zula154 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am vegan 95% of the time. The only time I usually have a little dairy or eggs is when I go out to eat. I would love to talk to people who feel the same.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    zula154 wrote: »
    I am vegan 95% of the time. The only time I usually have a little dairy or eggs is when I go out to eat. I would love to talk to people who feel the same.

Exactly what I do. I try to stay vegan throughout the day, but when being vegan stops me from enjoying a social situation with friends or family I'll give in to products made with dairy, eggs, and cheese. Just one meal and I'm back to being 95% vegan.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 5 years.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 6 years now. Want to switch to vegan but right now my priority is health/weight loss so if staying vegetarian makes that easier for me then I'll stay for now. I eat a lot of "fake meats" and find it hard to not have that constant hungry feeling whenever I try to eat healthy. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    veggie + open diary
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Vegetable based doesn't necessarily mean vegetarian. I know vegetarians and vegans who barely eat any fruit or vegetables, and plenty of omnivores who eat lots of vegetables. :s
    Good luck with your goals!

We joke that my wife is a carbatarian....instead of vegetarian (actually pescatarian as she will eat fish....almost lost her when Finding Nemo came out). She does not like many fruits and veggies. I, on the other hand, eat pretty much everything (I'm the one who will eat grasshopper, scorpion, most weird and wonder full foods etc at night markets ...but I also love fruits and veggies....and I eat lots of them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 6 years now. Want to switch to vegan but right now my priority is health/weight loss so if staying vegetarian makes that easier for me then I'll stay for now. I eat a lot of "fake meats" and find it hard to not have that constant hungry feeling whenever I try to eat healthy. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

What do you mean by "eat healthy"? Are you saying the foods that make you feel full are unhealthy?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Pancakes and pizza aren't vegan either.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Pancakes and pizza aren't vegan either.

Well, you can *make* them vegan -- but yeah, most places that sell them are selling versions with animal products.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    IHop sure don't make them vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    IHop sure don't make them vegan.

But what a magical world that would be . . .
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Lucky for me (or unlucky) several diners near where I live are vegan friendly... nothing better than greasy spoon food that is also vegan.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My life changed on August 7, 2015 after watching Forks over Knives. I've been Vegetarian ever since, with a slow transition to vegan/wfpb. I'm a work in progress, but I do not eat meat! Striving to be a complete vegan for health reasons mostly, but most definitely for compassion of animals and the planet.

Anyone feel free to add me, I'm always interested in seeing how other vegan/wfpb people eat :smile:
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I find whenever I fill myself up with vegetables and grains, I am never hungry! :smile: You can stuff yourself on vegetables, it's the greatest thing ever!