Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much weight should I lose? -photos-

I'm 5'5, weigh 9st, 25yrs old (35-27-38 measurements) and am feeling...Kinda flabby and fat :neutral:

I obviously know I'm not overweight, and I'm not trying to fish for compliments here, I just want your honest opinions on if I should lose a little weight/tone up? I want to look something like this:
9iwaeo9se5c0.png

I DO look like this:
k692or2bmgxv.jpg
bdcrk1mkqhi7.jpg
kiij93vx0edi.jpg

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Personally, I don't think you need to lose any weight. If you're feeling a little flabby I'd recommend doing a recomp. This is where you eat at maintenance (so if your weight is currently stable, carry on as normal) and do some resistance training to build muscle. Check out this thread for more info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think you need to lose any weight. If you're feeling a little flabby I'd recommend doing a recomp. This is where you eat at maintenance (so if your weight is currently stable, carry on as normal) and do some resistance training to build muscle. Check out this thread for more info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

This
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    What everyone said. You don't need to lose weight, you just need to bulk up some muscle. :) You look great.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    You should try to worry more about your body fat (fat loss) and not weight loss. Too many clients of mine think of the number on the scale...then I show them a picture of someone who's the same "weight" and height as them and they look completely different.
    Think of it, 5lbs of fat is about the size of a football. 5 lbs of muscle is about the size of your fist. Weigh the same, look different. Build some more muscle and you'll be great. More Muscle=faster metabolism

Any questions, feel free to message me. -John-uwc8b7ki3bxo.jpg

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    I'm the same height and weight as you. I'm trying to lose a couple more kgs, but mainly because I think it will help me run faster. I'm losing very very slowly though.
    If it's just an aesthetic thing, I agree with the others that a recomp may be better.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited February 2016
    Agree you aren't overweight but yes you do look a little "soft" - sorry!
    Exercise not weight loss will sort that out.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to go against the grain and say get down to 15/16% body fat. That could be a slow cut down a pound or three.(123/124)
    This would put you in a great position to get weight training on a proper programme, eating 250 cals over a day and go for a bulk.
    Maybe add 6/8 lbs, getting you to about 9 stone 3/9.6 (129-130 ish).
    Hopefully if you've done it right you have gained 3 to 4 lbs of muscle. Should take 12/16 weeks.

Then another slow cut to skim off the 3 to 4 lbs fat.

You should be back to 9 stone and looking totally different without the fluffy middle.
    You could lose a good few body fat percentage, have a smaller waist and more definition.

Recomps are really hard to monitor and control.
    Bulking and cutting was what finally worked for me.

Remember , you cannot build muscle unless you are eating in excess, or a complete newbie.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Agree you aren't overweight but yes you do look a little "soft" - sorry!
    Exercise not weight loss will sort that out.

my boyfriend likes 'soft' ;)

lifting heavy will give you the results you are looking for. keep in mind you will need to eat MORE not less in order to obtain the results you want
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    There is nothing wrong with looking/being soft. You are a woman. Most men prefer soft women.
  • MyFitnessPain
    MyFitnessPain Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for the replies!

Oh god, I'm so new to the whole building muscle but I also suspected that's what I needed to do!

Okay, so I'm doing some reading (thanks for the links) and from what I gather I should eat "normally" i.e. not too little but with lots of protein and lift. How does this sound for a plan:

Breakfast: Porridge with water and apple (my fave!)
    After workout: 2 boiled eggs/or protein shake
    Lunch: Veg with fish/or chicken
    Snack: fruit with greek yogurt/or kidney beans
    Tea: Veg with brown rice and kidney/chickpeas
    Snack: can of tuna/some sort of protein

Workout:
    I usually lift 5-6kg weights so I was planning on finding a youtube lifting video, doing that 3xweek and swimming 1xweek.

Good?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    And we all know women must shape our bodies to what men like....

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    trjjoy wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with looking/being soft. You are a woman. Most men prefer soft women.

Who cares what men like. I'm not going to stop heavy lifting and gain fat just for a man
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    You'll have to find your calorie maintenance level. Pick a number and keep records to see that your weight is steady.
    Your meal plan is very vague, use the MFP app to track your calories and try and get 100g of protein a day(you don't need lots of protein, just a adequate amount).
    Muscles also need carbs to be built. The gaining weight forum is full of help.
    You'll need to follow a structured lifting programme like Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    katem999 wrote: »
    And we all know women must shape our bodies to what men like....

:joy:
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    If I were you, I would eat at maintenance and lift weights... basically recomp.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    I think you look great!
    If you want to look even better I suggest doing a bit of cardio every week and weight training is a must!
    Squats target the most muscles and over all muscle tone just makes the body look better.
    Try 3 to 4 times a week of cardio and weights, see how you feel!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    My facial expression got progressively worse as I scrolled down reading the posts until I saw the voices of reason disregarding the preferences of men. Thank you for that.

Anyway OP, I echo the comments about getting into resistance training. At 5'5" and 126 pounds, you do have a soft look which is quite fine, but since it's obviously not what you're going for, you're going to have to work on your body composition. You'd be amazed at the difference it makes in your body.
  • MyFitnessPain
    MyFitnessPain Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks everyone!
    And especially thanks @ Springfield1970

I'm still researching about building muscle on websites like BodyBuilding.com etc.
    I think for this week I'm going to track my macros/calories, aiming for 1800 calories a day and see if I maintain my weight on MyFitnessPlanner.com and aim for 100g protein while weightlights 3xweek (swimming 1x).

I'm going to try and find a detailed plan-i.e. excersie videos and diet plan
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Who cares what men like. I'm not going to stop heavy lifting and gain fat just for a man

Damn straight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Yeah, no. :noway: