I WANNA GO FAST!!!

Options
Tips and hints to better gains? Let's talk turkey.

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eat right, lift heavy, rest well... rinse, repeat.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Lift right as well as eat right. Poor program is just as bad as poor nutrition for gaining
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fast is a good way to injury and burnout. Try the path of patience instead.
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    mfp isn't portal where cycles would be in favor.
    Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat until you're satisfy :D
  • Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All I need to do at this point is try to eat a lot, and clean as possible. I got on here to try to assist with that. Wish me luck! But honestly, I can't gain weight for nothing. Gained like 15-20 lbs when I first started lifting. And have kept it on. Just can't seem to get further without weight gainer. Then lose it all cause it's just water weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All I need to do at this point is try to eat a lot, and clean as possible. I got on here to try to assist with that. Wish me luck! But honestly, I can't gain weight for nothing. Gained like 15-20 lbs when I first started lifting. And have kept it on. Just can't seem to get further without weight gainer. Then lose it all cause it's just water weight.

Just wanted to point out, that eating clean has nothing to do with minimizing fat. In fact, many who eat clean, struggle to get calories to reach their goals because they restrict too many foods based on false perceptions.

So replace that turkey with lamb, bison, steak, fatty fishes..
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Deweyeast wrote:
    All I need to do at this point is try to eat a lot, and clean as possible.
    ... Gained like 15-20 lbs when I first started lifting. And have kept it on. Just can't
    seem to get further without weight gainer. Then lose it all cause it's just water weight.
    You should wash your food, yes.
    But avoiding any particular food is not sustainable, and other than obvious junk food (chips, candy)
    doesn't really do much for health.
    If you know that what you've been doing is not working, only giving you water weight, do something different.

Here's a calculator from a medical college which will give you an estimate not only of calories needed to
    maintain a particular weight, but also how many servings of the food groups.
    Aim for a couple hundred extra calories a day over what it says you need, & go heavy on the protein.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Here's a table which explains the healthy macro ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    If you're lifting weights, and hoping to build muscle, aim for the high end of the protein range.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

And as others have already said, REST is important.
    You don't grow muscle when you're lifting, you grow it when you rest.
    Lifting tears it apart, rest rebuilds it.
    So take that rest day, or two, in between lifting sessions.
  • Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!!