How many of you substitute a meal with a protein shake? It's good or no?

Options
Need advice

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I don't, drinking my calories leaves me OTT famished.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat my calories.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you are struggling to hit your protein goal. I have a shake a day, because I enjoy it and because it helps me hit my protein goal. I lift heavy so its important for me to make sure I hit it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Have done that for periods of time. Provides a measured amount of protein and other nutrition that can help managing a day's intake. Quick and easy, portable too.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I also do for small periods of time. It helps me up my protein intake. I have a protein shake made up with semi skimmed milk, but also have a banana for breakfast.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars and shakes as snacks, they aren't enough to replace a whole meal for me. There are lots of people on here though who follow 1200 cal a day diets who eat protein shakes or bars for breakfast or lunch. Pro's are that they are convenient, portion controlled, you can pick ones to fit your macro's, they can be more dessert-y then eating an egg or chicken. Cons are that they might not be filling, depending on the brand you choose they might be full of artificial ingredients or sugar, some taste gross.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I prefer more balanced meals (with fat and carbs, including vegetables), and don't find calories I drink particularly filling. I try to meet my protein goal without supplementing, but don't see anything wrong with protein shakes and think they can be a reasonable addition (and do tend to add protein powder to oatmeal). But if you prefer to have 2 bigger meals and just want something light when not especially hungry and see that as a pattern you prefer in general, I think it's fine. Also, if I'm on the go and don't have time for a real meal I will sometimes use protein bars.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes for some breakfasts mainly because my diet is usually low in protein and I also want something quick in my stomach before commuting to work -- I prefer to eat my calories but it works for the time being.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'll do a shake for breakfast some times or make up some juice and have that. There's nothing wrong with doing that.
  • blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In 2007 I lost 35 pounds by doing Slim-Fast for about 9 months. The problem (for me) with shakes is that they don't teach you how to change your eating for overall success and maintenance. It's an easy, quick fix but didn't help me in the long run. (Yes, I gained that weight back.) I don't do packaged shakes anymore - too much sugar and other stuff in them. Instead, I might have a smoothie for breakfast that I make myself - almond milk, protein powder (I like Spiru-tein vanilla because you can always use unsweetened cocoa powder if you want chocolate and there's not a ridiculous amount of sugar in it), a banana or other fruit, and maybe a little peanut butter powder. The protein keeps me feeling satisfied until just before lunch and the calorie count is much lower than pre-packaged shakes. I sometimes use protein bars for snacks or meals but that depends on my calorie count and schedule on any given day. (I like to make my own protein packed bars or cookies too.)

Good luck!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My shakes are usually for breakfast because if don't have something.....tend to get a sick feeling. Am never hungry early on,so shake works for me. Just skim or unsweetened almond milk with whatever flavoring fruit & yogurt. I keep protein bars for a snack,but seldom use them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's good for some and not good for others. I prefer to eat so I do not substitute shakes for solid food.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink a protein shake is before an early morning workout. I can't seem to exercise on an empty stomach but at 4:30 in the morning I'm not ready for real food. About 250 calories gets me through my workout and then I come home and eat breakfast and all the other great meals and snacks.

Everyone is so different and you just have to find what works for you.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a shake sometimes. I don't really think of it as a meal replacement, but I log the calories and eat accordingly. For me, it is an easy way to get more protein. My son likes them, also, so I make enough for 2. Depending on what you put in the calories can add up.

You could try. They sell single packets. And, see what you think.

Your question about whether or not it is a good choice depends on you.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't drink a protein shake unless you're gonna use those proteins in exercise. They just go to fat
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't drink a protein shake unless you're gonna use those proteins in exercise. They just go to fat

LOL. So by your "logic" one shouldn't eat ANY protein because it "just turns to fat". You do realize that anything eaten in excess will make you fat, right?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Don't drink a protein shake unless you're gonna use those proteins calories in exercise will keep you in a deficit. They just go to fat to lose weight

FTFY
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    On rare occasions I will when I don't have anything else handy or really am not hungry. It is a new thing not feeling hungry, but I actually experience it at times and I want to get some food value in.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I occasionally go on a high-protein diet. Having a protein shake helps me to reach my protein goal. I weigh the powder as I do with other food and note the calories. I like the Isopure brand.

As another member said, I don't think of it as a meal replacement -- there are products that are real meal replacements and have other nutrients -- I eat other food during the day and take supplements.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I use them on occasion when I've had a big lunch. I don't want to skip dinner, but a regular meal is too much. I try not to do it every day though.