How many of you substitute a meal with a protein shake? It's good or no?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Don't drink a protein shake unless you're gonna use those proteins in exercise. They just go to fat

Your body needs protein whether you exercise or not though . . . it's not like our need for protein is zero if we're sedentary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A protein shake really isn't meant to be a meal replacement as it is lacking in nutrition for that purpose...it is a dietary supplement to help you hit your protein targets. An actual meal replacement shake is going to have other nutrients, not just protein.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Don't drink a protein shake unless you're gonna use those proteins in exercise. They just go to fat

No...
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A protein shake really isn't meant to be a meal replacement as it is lacking in nutrition for that purpose...it is a dietary supplement to help you hit your protein targets. An actual meal replacement shake is going to have other nutrients, not just protein.

Yes
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I usually try not to. Sometimes I'll have a lower calorie one in addition to my meal. Sometimes (oddly enough) I DON'T feel like eating and want something sweet. There is no "does it work?". I suggest getting the majority of your calories from nutrient dense, whole foods. Protein powder is a supplement that can help you meet your protein goal.
  • tonyrosen
    tonyrosen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your protein shake has over 180-ish calories, I wouldn't drink it at all. I don't replace any meal -- eatable proteins are better for you anyway. I do use protein shakes to increase my protein intake though. Raw food protein is best - but, the shakes keep my protein goals up.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i drink a nutrional powder 22 grams of protein, half my day of vitamins, half my day of fiber ect... its 150 calories. i drink it with whatever "real food" im eating.. usually a donut.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    People say they would rather eat the calories but its not that much of a difference. 1 scoop of the powder I use is 130 calories and 25g of protein. 3 ounces of chicken breast is 140 calories and 26 grams of protein. It really just comes down to preference. Do you want chicken again or a chocolate shake? Sometimes I pick the later.
  • AmyLynnGagliano
    AmyLynnGagliano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use them for breakfast! I'm in college and we have two LOs, 2 & 1. I'm not cooking for us in the morning lol.
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How else do people use protein powder besides a shake? I want to supplement my protein intake with it, rather than as a meal replacement.
  • arditarose
    Options
    How else do people use protein powder besides a shake? I want to supplement my protein intake with it, rather than as a meal replacement.

I put it in my yogurt, ice cream, and bake with it.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie everyday for lunch, which includes protein powder. Have done for the last 12mths
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No shakes for me.
    I think it depends on if you are having trouble reaching your goals with food if it is good or necessary.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my coffee in the morning. That and some fruit will keep me going until lunch.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

All kinds of recipes out there from brownies to pancakes and more.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In my opinion you should only be using protein shakes if you're bulking and need quick calories or seriously inconvenienced and don't have time to prepare food. The fitness industry loves to idealize this notion of spending $60-100 on a tub of splenda flavored processed whey and just getting jacked, but at the end of the day it's never going to be as good for you as something full of vitamins and minerals like legumes, veggies, nuts, etc.

Not to mention this idea that we need like 200-300g of protein a day to put on muscle >:(

To each their own though
  • arditarose
    Options
    In my opinion you should only be using protein shakes if you're bulking and need quick calories or seriously inconvenienced and don't have time to prepare food. The fitness industry loves to idealize this notion of spending $60-100 on a tub of splenda flavored processed whey and just getting jacked, but at the end of the day it's never going to be as good for you as something full of vitamins and minerals like legumes, veggies, nuts, etc.

To each their own though

Why would you use a protein shake for bulking? A scoop of protein in and of itself doesn't have many calories, and protein is even more important in the weight loss phase than the bulking phase.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I do. But I add 32oz of choc milk to it. Around 1k cal.
  • jumpfit
    jumpfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Need advice
    I've been experimenting with this very thing. I can get by with a shake replacing my evening meal but not breakfast or lunch.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I won't substitute a meal with a protein shake. But I will throw it in a blender with milk, carrot juice, gainzbutter, spinach, oatmeal, fishoil, and fruit. That's a meal replacement shake.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Never....need the bulk in actual food.

I will have a cliffs builder bar after the gym....but not to replace a meal.