How to deal with heart burn without the use of OTC medications...

2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There's a book called Dropping Acid that recommends eating higher PH foods (lower acid).

Apples that fit the bill: Gala & Fuji. Raspberries, melon, and bananas are all low acid.

Colas & most sodas are acidic, but root beer is the least acidic.

Wearing looser clothes. Chewing gum. Both helpful.

Large doses of fat, garlic & onions will trigger reflux for me.

Some people swear by adding acid to their diets, .....lemon, vinegar, etc. But these just make it worse for me.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    I had excrusiating acid reflux... so bad that it hurt to swallow most food... it would burn on the way down..i was living off of zantac and tumms... my triggers were sugar and carbs... as soon as i started this journey and cut out all added sugar and most carbs from my diet the reflux slowly went away...almost a full month without and OTC meds... believe it or not raw apple cider vinegar with the MOTHER is a natural way to control acid reflux, it works..try it. it has to be cider vinegar with the mother... no idea why the residue on the bottom is called that but thats what it is.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I haven't tried it myself, but I was recently looking at switching from my calcium citrate pills (huge) to calcium citrate powder (easier to mix & swallow) & read several reviews that said people were using the powder for their GERD. So it might be worth trying.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited February 2016
    I've never tried it but have read that a little apple cider vinegar helps to alleviate heartburn although it seems counter intuitive.

I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "magical" foods, but I had heard the same thing about apple cider vinegar and decided to give it a try. Surprisingly, it actually works. I put a tablespoon in a shot glass, then add some water to make it a little more tolerable and chug it down. Burns on the way down and feels like it's going to make it worse, but as counter-intuitive as it seems, it works every time (I did use the ACV with the "mother" in it - don't know if it makes any difference or not).

Now that I've lost about 25 pounds I almost never have heartburn/acid reflux anymore, so I rarely need it. But it does work, at least for me.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    It's amazing to read everyone's different triggers. Mine are coffee (even decaf), soda, and red wine. My acid reflux is much better without those foods. I'm really hoping that when I lose the weight, the reflux goes with it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    It's amazing to read everyone's different triggers. Mine are coffee (even decaf), soda, and red wine. My acid reflux is much better without those foods. I'm really hoping that when I lose the weight, the reflux goes with it.

i never found out what caused mine but it was so regular it was getting me down. one stage the doctor prescribed with a 28 day medicine (cant remember the name now) which seemed to help for awhile
    since i lost weight i dont get any episodes any more thankfully.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I can't come off my medicine and I still have issues
    triggers were fat, coffee, acidic foods, barbeque, peppers, curry. sometimes even rice and chicken was too much

ginger and mint are a good combination. baking soda works if you can get it down. i like rolaids chews. any vinegar will do, it doesn't have to be ACV. I've heard water works. I've also heard that something very acidic can encourage you stomach to "flush" and provide relief
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've never tried it but have read that a little apple cider vinegar helps to alleviate heartburn although it seems counter intuitive.

I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to "magical" foods, but I had heard the same thing about apple cider vinegar and decided to give it a try. Surprisingly, it actually works. I put a tablespoon in a shot glass, then add some water to make it a little more tolerable and chug it down. Burns on the way down and feels like it's going to make it worse, but as counter-intuitive as it seems, it works every time (I did use the ACV with the "mother" in it - don't know if it makes any difference or not).

Sounds like this is worth a try.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    What's wrong with a few tums? I wouldn't take them constantly, but a couple a day are a good source of calcium.

The systemic medications are way better than esophageal damage from reflux.

If it is just at night, there's the old solution of a sleeping wedge or raising your head with bricks under the bedpost. (Or buying an adjustable bed, if you got the $$.)