Creatine

Options
Reasons why and why not to take it

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    We just had a recent discussion that had lots of good info in it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Additional reps
    2. Slightly increased weights
    3. The pump
    4. Recovery

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well step one is understanding what it does:
    Supplemented creatine causes increased glycogen storage in muscle tissue.
    What does this do for you? It allows you to have a more intense workout by giving you the ability (because of that extra glycogen) to pump out one or two extra reps when you're lifting. The more intense workout then gives you the benefit of greater strength and size gains (assuming proper nutrition, sleep and a well designed workout program).

Things to consider:
    Creatine also causes storage of water in muscle tissue so you may notice a slight initial weight gain on the scale but now worries, it's just intramuscular water.
    However, this makes it important that you stay hydrated throughout the day.

What kind is best?
    Creatine Monohydrate is proven to be as effective as any variation of creatine can be. Some others such as creatine hydrochloride tout that they are more quickly absorbed but this offers no practical advantage and they are more costly. Stick with the inexpensive monohydrate. Also, the micronized is even better as it will dissolve more readily.
    Creapure is a proven brand of micronized creatine monohydrate found as the main ingredient in many of the big supplement brands' creatine mixtures (such as Optimum Nutrition Creatine).

How to take it:
    5 grams of creatine monohydrate per day is all you need.
    Some people recommend a loading phase (20 grams spread throughout the day for the first week) to reach saturation levels more quickly but this is entirely optional.

Other benefits:
    Recent studies have suggested that creatine can benefit brain health and cognitive function/focus.

Myths:
    1) Creatine is a steroid.
    This myth would lead one to believe that creatine causes mass gains on its own and carries health risks. Both of these things are untrue. Creatine is a naturally occurring amino acid found in red meat. It will not cause mass gains: if you do the same workout with creatine as without, you will see no extra gains. If you get in an extra couple reps thanks to the creatine, you will reap the benefit of those extra reps.
    2) Creatine causes kidney damage.
    This myth is derived from the fact that creatine saturation can lead to increased creatinine levels in the blood. Elevated creatinine is typically an indicator of kidney problems. However, when elevated by creatine supplementation it is simply a false alarm and not an indicator of actual damage.

So...

Pros:
    1) Creatine increases glycogen storage to aid in engaging in more intense workouts.
    2) Creatine may benefit brain health, focus and cognitive function.
    3) Increased glycogen can also speed recovery and lessen muscle soreness.
    4) Creatine is safe.

Cons:
    1) There is a minority group of people who are "non responders" and do not benefit from creatine supplementation.
    2) It isn't free (although it is pretty cheap).

I think that sums it up.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    We just had a recent discussion that had lots of good info in it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324688/considering-creatine/p1

Lol never have I thought that post I made would get so many replies....

So I've been taking my creatine for a week now. I did do a loading phase mostly because I'm impatient lol. Muscle size I haven't notice any difference. My weight has increased though (more then what it should have just from diet). Also when I squatted on saturday I was able to do 6 strong reps a 185 vs last week I was having a hard time doing 6 reps at 175. (I know my legs are weak... to many years of neglect). Now I'm not saying I was able to lift 10 more pounds because of the creatine a big part of it is I've been lifting hard and pushing myself. That being said I think the creatine did something to help me push out those reps.

If you do take it make sure to get plenty of water. After I take the creatine my stomach hurts if I haven't already had much water, but after drinking more water it always feels better. (I've been drinking at LEAST 100 ounces a day.)