How long to lose 10lbs body fat,and add 10lbs muscle?

Options

Replies

• whinebag
    whinebag Posts: 37 Member
    Options

usmcmp wrote: »
    whinebag wrote: »
    Guessing the coach/trainer idea is best but not in a place to where I can do that,nevertheless I will keep learning what I can and do what I can,as I said main goal is cut body fat so I can look toned up and in shape.

Follow the directions in the first post until you drop some more body fat.
    Ok so if I can lose 1% body fat a month then I could possibly be between 12-15% within 10 months or so,what's a recommended amount of carbs and fats,I have no problem with my calorie counting as far as going over I'm eating 14-1800 a day sometimes less so I know that's not enough probably why I lost 85lbs in 6months.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jamarbelly wrote: »
    If you have a significant amount of body fat, you CAN reduce it while building muscle. I know, because I am in a similar situation and having fantastic results.

I am 4 weeks into a 12 week program that was built for me by Sam Shorkey at jackedonthebeanstalk. I work very hard doing fasted cardio in the morning and lifting weights in the afternoon/evening. I am eating way more than I usually do, and in fact have some days struggled to get all the food into my system. Check her site out, and if you're vegan (or willing to give it a go) send her an email (she only trains/coaches vegans). I have been a vegan for 3 years, which is a drastic change from the guy who would order 4 cheese burgers, fries, nuggets and a shake. I got sick, and I got educated!

I have had my measurements professionally taken at the start of my program, and again at the end of week 4, and so far on the scale I have only lost 3.4 pounds in 4 weeks, BUT, that breaks down to putting on 3.8 pounds of lean body mass and dropping 7.2 pounds of body fat. Overall I've reduced my body fat from 28.5% to 25.6%, and I can't wait to see where I am at week 8.

I think these boards are great for general questions and info, but many of the questions include a huge variable, YOU. I would start by finding a good trainer/coach who will give you the individual attention you need to build a successful plan.

Good luck!

so in four weeks you lost four pounds and gained four pounds of muscle????

wait, how did you lose 3.4 pounds and drop 7.2 pounds of body fat??

or am I missing something here....

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If you have a significant amount of body fat, you CAN reduce it while building muscle. I know, because I am in a similar situation and having fantastic results.

I am 4 weeks into a 12 week program that was built for me by Sam Shorkey at jackedonthebeanstalk. I work very hard doing fasted cardio in the morning and lifting weights in the afternoon/evening. I am eating way more than I usually do, and in fact have some days struggled to get all the food into my system. Check her site out, and if you're vegan (or willing to give it a go) send her an email (she only trains/coaches vegans). I have been a vegan for 3 years, which is a drastic change from the guy who would order 4 cheese burgers, fries, nuggets and a shake. I got sick, and I got educated!

I have had my measurements professionally taken at the start of my program, and again at the end of week 4, and so far on the scale I have only lost 3.4 pounds in 4 weeks, BUT, that breaks down to putting on 3.8 pounds of lean body mass and dropping 7.2 pounds of body fat. Overall I've reduced my body fat from 28.5% to 25.6%, and I can't wait to see where I am at week 8.

I think these boards are great for general questions and info, but many of the questions include a huge variable, YOU. I would start by finding a good trainer/coach who will give you the individual attention you need to build a successful plan.

Good luck!

He's claiming 3.8 pounds of LBM gained in that same period while dropping 7.2 pounds of fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Good luck!

He's claiming 3.8 pounds of LBM gained in that same period while dropping 7.2 pounds of fat.

oh ok, I missed that ...

I still don't think it is possible to drop four pounds and add four pounds of muscle in four weeks....
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the whole, you can't build muscle while losing fat logic. It's hard - very hard - but not impossible. You're young and male (like me) so we have it easier. It takes a lot of discipline, because you pretty much have to eat right at your BMR everyday and get enough fats (for hormone stability) and protein (for muscle building). You are going to be at a deficit, so you need to eat .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is a lot of reheated chicken breast. You'r going to have to lift - a lot, and continuously be adding volume. If you can't get all the weight for the same number of reps you did last week on that exercise - do an extra set, and another one, until you have moved more weight than you did last week. Every time. This is going to make your workouts longer as you progress, because your body is trying to get weaker (you aren't feeding it enough), but you aren't letting it. Swapping ten lbs of fat for ten lbs of muscle is definitely possible. If you are dedicated, you can probably get there in 16 weeks (unless you have been lifting for >3 years, in which case this could take years, but seeing as how you are 22%BF, I'd say you can do it). If you falter a few days in between, you might be looking at closer to 20 or even 24 depending on how bad the slip up is.

Incidentally, I'm doing the same thing you are. I started back at the end of Thanksgiving at 236lbs and around 30%BF. I'm now around 221lbs and around 20%BF. I'm trying to get back down to around 200-205lbs and 8-9%BF. I know it's possible because I was there just 2 years ago

Did you mean eat at TDEE every day instead of BMR? If you train hard and eat at BMR every day for 16 weeks you are going to regret it, if you do happen to survive.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Don't listen to the whole, you can't build muscle while losing fat logic. It's hard - very hard - but not impossible. You're young and male (like me) so we have it easier. It takes a lot of discipline, because you pretty much have to eat right at your BMR everyday and get enough fats (for hormone stability) and protein (for muscle building). You are going to be at a deficit, so you need to eat .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is a lot of reheated chicken breast. You'r going to have to lift - a lot, and continuously be adding volume. If you can't get all the weight for the same number of reps you did last week on that exercise - do an extra set, and another one, until you have moved more weight than you did last week. Every time. This is going to make your workouts longer as you progress, because your body is trying to get weaker (you aren't feeding it enough), but you aren't letting it. Swapping ten lbs of fat for ten lbs of muscle is definitely possible. If you are dedicated, you can probably get there in 16 weeks (unless you have been lifting for >3 years, in which case this could take years, but seeing as how you are 22%BF, I'd say you can do it). If you falter a few days in between, you might be looking at closer to 20 or even 24 depending on how bad the slip up is.

Incidentally, I'm doing the same thing you are. I started back at the end of Thanksgiving at 236lbs and around 30%BF. I'm now around 221lbs and around 20%BF. I'm trying to get back down to around 200-205lbs and 8-9%BF. I know it's possible because I was there just 2 years ago

Did you mean eat at TDEE every day instead of BMR? If you train hard and eat at BMR every day for 16 weeks you are going to regret it, if you do happen to survive.

How do you come to this conclusion? If he's tall his BMR is likely fairly high. Even if he's training 2 hours in the gym his performance might suffer, but it's not going to kill him.
  • whinebag
    Options

How do you come to this conclusion? If he's tall his BMR is likely fairly high. Even if he's training 2 hours in the gym his performance might suffer, but it's not going to kill him.

What are you referring to as bmr?How do you come to that number?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. It's the number of calories you burn by being alive (heartbeat, breathing, thermoregulating, etc.).
  • richln
    Options

Death is hyperbole, but I am calculating about 1k daily deficit. With heavy lifting 3 days per week and progressively added volume every workout as prescribed, I would predict serious injury well before week 16.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. It's the number of calories you burn by being alive (heartbeat, breathing, thermoregulating, etc.).

@whinebag

Your TDEE (the energy you use in the day) is

TDEE = BMR * Acivity level

Activity level ranges from 1.2 (sedentary) to about 1.9 (very very active).

To calculate your BMR, there are many calculators on the web.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Death is hyperbole, but I am calculating about 1k daily deficit. With heavy lifting 3 days per week and progressively added volume every workout as prescribed, I would predict serious injury well before week 16.

injury comes from accidents and bad form, not caloric deficit. He may not be able to adequately recover, and his training will suffer, but I don't see how that relates to injury. I eat at a large deficit and lift heavy 3x a week, and I am old too. Been just fine for a long time, and I have lost fat and maintained muscle.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
  • whinebag
    Options

@whinebag

@whinebag

Ok cool,what would you all think on my activity level,I at least take 5k steps at work which is up and down on my knees and climbing Scaffles as I'm a painter,then when I get home I do at least 30min cardio and 3days a week I workout,rest on Sunday.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

@whinebag

@whinebag

Ok cool,what would you all think on my activity level,I at least take 5k steps at work which is up and down on my knees and climbing Scaffles as I'm a painter,then when I get home I do at least 30min cardio and 3days a week I workout,rest on Sunday.

1.4-1.6...pick one.

Then log accurately and consistently and adjust as needed to make progress towards your goals. Repeat until goals reached. Make new goals. Repeat process again.
  • whinebag
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

@whinebag

@whinebag

1.4-1.6...pick one.

Then log accurately and consistently and adjust as needed to make progress towards your goals. Repeat until goals reached. Make new goals. Repeat process again.

Well looks like I'll die lol,I don't eat my bmr for someone my size without moving at all so there ya go lol.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well looks like I'll die lol,I don't eat my bmr for someone my size without moving at all so there ya go lol.

I think you probably eat more than you realize.
  • whinebag
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

Possible although I did lose 85lbs in under 6months eating this way either way.
  • richln
    Options

injury comes from accidents and bad form, not caloric deficit. He may not be able to adequately recover, and his training will suffer, but I don't see how that relates to injury. I eat at a large deficit and lift heavy 3x a week, and I am old too. Been just fine for a long time, and I have lost fat and maintained muscle.

Injury also comes from inadequate recovery during intense training.
    http://clevelandphysio.com.au/phy/common-injuries/overtraining-injuries
    https://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/overtrainwithresistance.pdf?sfvrsn=4
    http://philmaffetone.com/the-overtraining-syndrome/

Glad to hear you are staying injury-free. But have you been losing 2 lbs per week every week for the last several months while adding more volume to each workout? I would like to know how it is possible to recover from that. If you know how to read MRIs, you will notice my profile pic shows an inoperable torn pectoral and a torn rotator cuff. Those were injuries obtained last year during pushing too much volume during aggressive caloric deficit. They did not come from lifting heavy weight or bad form, they both came from overuse with inadequate recovery. Just two of many injuries I have experienced over the years from overtraining while cutting.
  • whinebag
    Options

I can see being off 2-400 calories but even then I'm under if you can read my log it's got everything I eat,I drink water and no calorie drinks