How long to lose 10lbs body fat,and add 10lbs muscle?

Options
Basically title says it,I'm currently around 22% body fat maybe little less,maybe little more looking to lose fat and gain muscle through working out full body 3days a week and cardio on off days also watching calorie intake.Im just curious how long and should take and what types of steps should I take to reach it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That is so individual it would be hard to say. Due diligence would be required.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Adding 10 pounds of muscle at your age would take about 6 solid months of following a progressive lifting program. Unfortunately you can't gain 10 pounds of muscle at the same time you are losing fat. With your body fat being at 22% you need to lose weight first. Follow the steps in the link posted by queenliz.
  • whinebag
    whinebag Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Adding 10 pounds of muscle at your age would take about 6 solid months of following a progressive lifting program. Unfortunately you can't gain 10 pounds of muscle at the same time you are losing fat. With your body fat being at 22% you need to lose weight first. Follow the steps in the link posted by queenliz.

How much weight,currently 6ft 203lbs lost 85lbs in last 6months how much more needs to be lost is the key question?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    whinebag wrote: »

How much weight,currently 6ft 203lbs lost 85lbs in last 6months how much more needs to be lost is the key question?

If you want to bulk you need to get to about 11% body fat. If you are okay with recomposition, which might be a good option at your age, I suggest getting to around 15% body fat.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's a handy link. I don't know where it goes after the first few pages, but the OP knows her stuff.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

ETA: haha, I didn't recognize the new profile pic, but actually @usmcmp is the one who started the above thread, so I would say listen to what she's saying :wink:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    @mathjulz I'm very flattered! Actually, both links posted here are mine :blush: Just passing on things I've learned along the way.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the whole, you can't build muscle while losing fat logic. It's hard - very hard - but not impossible. You're young and male (like me) so we have it easier. It takes a lot of discipline, because you pretty much have to eat right at your BMR everyday and get enough fats (for hormone stability) and protein (for muscle building). You are going to be at a deficit, so you need to eat .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is a lot of reheated chicken breast. You'r going to have to lift - a lot, and continuously be adding volume. If you can't get all the weight for the same number of reps you did last week on that exercise - do an extra set, and another one, until you have moved more weight than you did last week. Every time. This is going to make your workouts longer as you progress, because your body is trying to get weaker (you aren't feeding it enough), but you aren't letting it. Swapping ten lbs of fat for ten lbs of muscle is definitely possible. If you are dedicated, you can probably get there in 16 weeks (unless you have been lifting for >3 years, in which case this could take years, but seeing as how you are 22%BF, I'd say you can do it). If you falter a few days in between, you might be looking at closer to 20 or even 24 depending on how bad the slip up is.

Incidentally, I'm doing the same thing you are. I started back at the end of Thanksgiving at 236lbs and around 30%BF. I'm now around 221lbs and around 20%BF. I'm trying to get back down to around 200-205lbs and 8-9%BF. I know it's possible because I was there just 2 years ago
  • whinebag
    Options
    Ok,thanks to all who have commented so far,I'm not pretending to know all about everything,but my biggest goal at the moment is reducing body fat and at least not losing muscle,I'd like to be toned up and in shape,wouldn't mind a 6pack,on my calorie intake and macro's I can hit my protein goals easily but have harder time with the carbs and fats as I usually eat less than this app says I should be.I guess when losing weight was my focus I wasn't eating enough and now have a hard time trusting I can eat more calories and not gain.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Keep cutting, keep eating plenty of protein, keep lifting with a 3x/week whole body program. If you build muscle, great, if you don't you are still getting stronger and losing fat. I'm 5'11" and just hit 171lb but had an original goal of 175. I intend to cut until I have clearly visible abs (right now the lighting needs to be right :smile: ) at which point then I'll bulk. If you don't want to cut that far, then get to at least sub 15% BF.

As for how long, well, if you lose 1lb/week and then gain 0.5lb of muscle/week (along with 0.5lb of fat) and then shed 1lb/week (assuming perfect results with no muscle loss and assuming you can't gain muscle while cutting) that would be 40 weeks. So, its going to take a while, just keep putting in the effort and eventually you'll get there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't listen to the whole, you can't build muscle while losing fat logic. It's hard - very hard - but not impossible. You're young and male (like me) so we have it easier. It takes a lot of discipline, because you pretty much have to eat right at your BMR everyday and get enough fats (for hormone stability) and protein (for muscle building). You are going to be at a deficit, so you need to eat .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is a lot of reheated chicken breast. You'r going to have to lift - a lot, and continuously be adding volume. If you can't get all the weight for the same number of reps you did last week on that exercise - do an extra set, and another one, until you have moved more weight than you did last week. Every time. This is going to make your workouts longer as you progress, because your body is trying to get weaker (you aren't feeding it enough), but you aren't letting it. Swapping ten lbs of fat for ten lbs of muscle is definitely possible. If you are dedicated, you can probably get there in 16 weeks (unless you have been lifting for >3 years, in which case this could take years, but seeing as how you are 22%BF, I'd say you can do it). If you falter a few days in between, you might be looking at closer to 20 or even 24 depending on how bad the slip up is.

Incidentally, I'm doing the same thing you are. I started back at the end of Thanksgiving at 236lbs and around 30%BF. I'm now around 221lbs and around 20%BF. I'm trying to get back down to around 200-205lbs and 8-9%BF. I know it's possible because I was there just 2 years ago

16 weeks? To add 10lbs of muscle? While eating a severe deficit?
    Sure thing.
  • jcheesman18
    jcheesman18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have a significant amount of body fat, you CAN reduce it while building muscle. I know, because I am in a similar situation and having fantastic results.

I am 4 weeks into a 12 week program that was built for me by Sam Shorkey at jackedonthebeanstalk. I work very hard doing fasted cardio in the morning and lifting weights in the afternoon/evening. I am eating way more than I usually do, and in fact have some days struggled to get all the food into my system. Check her site out, and if you're vegan (or willing to give it a go) send her an email (she only trains/coaches vegans). I have been a vegan for 3 years, which is a drastic change from the guy who would order 4 cheese burgers, fries, nuggets and a shake. I got sick, and I got educated!

I have had my measurements professionally taken at the start of my program, and again at the end of week 4, and so far on the scale I have only lost 3.4 pounds in 4 weeks, BUT, that breaks down to putting on 3.8 pounds of lean body mass and dropping 7.2 pounds of body fat. Overall I've reduced my body fat from 28.5% to 25.6%, and I can't wait to see where I am at week 8.

I think these boards are great for general questions and info, but many of the questions include a huge variable, YOU. I would start by finding a good trainer/coach who will give you the individual attention you need to build a successful plan.

Good luck!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Bruh...If your deficit is moderate enough to allow for muscle gains (which would also require everything else be completely optimal: sleep, protein intake, progressive heavy lifting program) you won't have enough of a deficit to lose ten pounds of fat in 16 weeks.
    Also, if you're eating at a deficit at all, you may be able to optimize everything else to gain some muscle despite a slight deficit but those muscle gains would be so slow that there's no way you could gain ten pounds of muscle in 16 weeks.
    Lastly, if you're eating enough to be able to gain ten pounds of muscle in 16 weeks, you're not only not losing fat, you're gaining fat because you're eating in a surplus.

That's why everyone who's ever tried it or observed it will tell you RECOMP TAKES FOREVER.

P.S. 200-205 lbs and single digit body fat? Wow...Frank Zane...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    10 weeks to lose 10lb of body fat at a 500 calorie deficit per day.

Men can realistically gain half a pound a week of muscle (alongside the inevitable half a pound of fat.)
    So 20 weeks to gain 10lb of muscle and 10lb fat at a 500 cal excess per day. Total 20lb gain.

Then you have to get rid of the additional 10lb of fat. I'd then do it at a slow speed, 20 weeks at 250cal deficit per day.

Total recomp done. Clear, accountable, straightforward cut, bulk and cut cycle.

You're looking at a year. Sounds about right for something so amazing.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a young (20's) lady rock climber. Losing ten pounds is like...blah, that can take as long or short as I really desire. When I started rock climbing (hard) I would say I gained 5 pounds of muscle over the course of a year, and it took me probably 2 years to put on another 5 pounds of muscle. Granted, I wasn't hyperfocused on increasing that scale number, but I spent 2-3 years diligently and progressively rock climbing with intermittent weight training and a high protein diet, with one (very fluffy and overextended) bulk...I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me it took a reeeeally long time! But it was fun!
  • usmcmp
    Options

@finneyjason218 How are you measuring your body fat percentage?
  • whinebag
    Options
    Guessing the coach/trainer idea is best but not in a place to where I can do that,nevertheless I will keep learning what I can and do what I can,as I said main goal is cut body fat so I can look toned up and in shape.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    whinebag wrote: »
    Guessing the coach/trainer idea is best but not in a place to where I can do that,nevertheless I will keep learning what I can and do what I can,as I said main goal is cut body fat so I can look toned up and in shape.

Follow the directions in the first post until you drop some more body fat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Incorrectly.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Incorrectly.

No *kitten*. Losing 26.6 pounds of fat when only losing 15 pounds total (so gaining 11 pounds of muscle at the same time) in less than 3 months? Then wanting to go on to lose another 25.75 pounds of fat while losing 16 pounds (so gaining another 10 pounds of muscle)? Yeah right.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

16 weeks? To add 10lbs of muscle? While eating a severe deficit?
    Sure thing.

He didn't say he was doing it natty. Anybody who could even come close to those results in that amount of time would have to be heavily..."enhanced".