Sugar-Do you count natural sugars?

Options

Replies

• Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm curious what you disagree with or what your response is. As I said in the most recent post: " What do you think I am wrong about or trying to change your mind on?" I am trying to understand why you seem so irritated.

And again, I look at added sugar myself (although I don't think it's the be-all, end-all -- I'd typically prefer oatmeal with a little sugar to a glass of homemade apple juice), and don't care about how much sugar I get from veg, dairy, or fruit, so long as I am hitting my protein and other goals.

I disagree that processed sugars are the same as natural ones. I thought I made that clear. I'm not irritated, just don't understand why people seem set on me saying I'm wrong. We all have our ways of doing things and this is mine. I've argued my case over and over and some still don't seem to get it so I'm done. I'm not gonna waste my time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    I'm curious what you disagree with or what your response is. As I said in the most recent post: " What do you think I am wrong about or trying to change your mind on?" I am trying to understand why you seem so irritated.

And again, I look at added sugar myself (although I don't think it's the be-all, end-all -- I'd typically prefer oatmeal with a little sugar to a glass of homemade apple juice), and don't care about how much sugar I get from veg, dairy, or fruit, so long as I am hitting my protein and other goals.

I disagree that processed sugars are the same as natural ones. I thought I made that clear. I'm not irritated, just don't understand why people seem set on me saying I'm wrong. We all have our ways of doing things and this is mine. I've argued my case over and over and some still don't seem to get it so I'm done. I'm not gonna waste my time.

Then you're disagreeing on an objective fact. You still don't seem to get it.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I find these videos helpful in dismissing the myths about processed and unprocessed fructose - presented by Dr. Greger, MD - the studies are all referenced.

I agree - it would be nice to have a way to track added sugars vs natural (fruit/veg) sugars.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-fruit-is-too-much/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why do you disagree? What do you base your differentiation between processed sugars and natural sugars on?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I will pay attention to added sugar mostly because it's a great way for me personally to identify foods that may have some extra calories that I can avoid. But if I'm craving something sweet, I may choose a cup of coffee or tea with a teaspoon of sugar over a bowl of pineapple (or I may not, it depends on what else I've had to eat that day or what I'm really craving). I think sometimes this conversations get so confusing because we're looking at foods in relative isolation.

For me, a piece of toast with peanut butter and some grape jelly is going to "feel" different than a piece of toast with just grape jelly -- adding fat always seems to slow down how the sugar hits my system. And I've never felt satisfied by fruit alone. If I eat 300 calories of fruit, I'll be hungry again almost immediately, but a small lunch of 300-400 calories that contains some fruit is fine.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wow no wonder kids struggle these days when the adults around them act like this!! *face palm* petty petty petty

Tell me about it, arguing with science and just using IMO to disprove it....tsk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So you disagree with my statement that the sugar in an apple is fructose, glucose, sucrose (which breaks down into glucose and fructose) and that table sugar is sucrose?

On what basis?

If what you mean is that YOU react differently to an apple and a cookie, no one would argue.
  • JonathanGupton
    JonathanGupton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every day I go over my sugar "goal" but when I subtract my fruit and veggie sugars I am well under. I don't think natural sugar should count but curious what everyone else thinks.
    An example: Today I prelogged my diary and I have 63g of sugar and my goal is 45g. I subtracted my two servings of fruit and the sugars in my homemade vegetable soup and I have only had about 24g of actual added sugar.

I am not sure why natural sugars wouldn't count. Your body has to process them just like added sugar, and they are still calories. There's even some evidence that the natural sugars found in fruit (fructose) actually lead to worse outcomes like cancer.

This is different from something like fiber (as others have mentioend) where your body is incapable of breaking down and digesting. In the case of fiber, your body more or less ignores those calories because it doesn't get past your intestines (ignoring gut bacteria that break it down).
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical reason to track your sugar, consult with your doctor. I know diabetics have to track ALL sugar, natural or not. If you don't have any reason outside of your own curiosity...I say don't track it or don't worry about it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar but I keep my fruit serving to one or two before 6 pm. I track protein, fat and carbs...specially carbs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Every day I go over my sugar "goal" but when I subtract my fruit and veggie sugars I am well under. I don't think natural sugar should count but curious what everyone else thinks.
    An example: Today I prelogged my diary and I have 63g of sugar and my goal is 45g. I subtracted my two servings of fruit and the sugars in my homemade vegetable soup and I have only had about 24g of actual added sugar.

I don't count any sugars. I am T2Dm so I do have to count total carbs but it doesn't matter if they are simple or complex carbs. I switched out the sugars in my diary for fiber.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I am not sure why natural sugars wouldn't count. Your body has to process them just like added sugar, and they are still calories. There's even some evidence that the natural sugars found in fruit (fructose) actually lead to worse outcomes like cancer.

This is different from something like fiber (as others have mentioend) where your body is incapable of breaking down and digesting. In the case of fiber, your body more or less ignores those calories because it doesn't get past your intestines (ignoring gut bacteria that break it down).

you've referenced an article written by an NBC contributor, the hyperlinks go to additional NBC pages or don't work, they do not explain if the fructose in the "study" is processed or not.

I recommend the following:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-fruit-is-too-much/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You should keep an eye on it and dont go overboard even with natural sugars because in the end they all get broken down into monosaccharides when digested especially if you are prediabetic. With that said, The extra fiber in fruits helps less to be absorbed and fruits are good for vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Dont cut out fruit completely just have moderate amounts. 2 servings of fruit a day is fine and as long as it fits in with your calorie and macronutrient goals its fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

"I think ponies are better than cats" is an opinion. "I think ponies are better than cats because cats kill peole with their laser beam eyes" is still an opinion, but it's one based on misinformation or a misunderstanding of the facts. And that's fine. We've all had opinions like that over the years. The important thing is what you do when you find out that cats don't have laser beam eyes. Do you stop and reassess your opinions? Or do you insist that you didn't mean it like that and people are taking things out of context?

FWIW, I rather like this post on the subject: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1

Personally, I'm in the I don't track sugar camp. You can, of course, make your own decisions on how to handle it.
  • DebDesautels
    DebDesautels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I track all sugar, regardless of it's source, and try to stay under 45g a day. After a long time of struggling to lose weight, even when I thought I was being "good", it's the one thing that's helped me get the scale to move. I now eat more veggies than fruit and try to stick with berries, sometimes apples and only very rarely have things like mango, pineapple and bananas (even though I love all of them, I have them as a treat rather than a staple). That's what works for me, not saying it's the same for everyone. But there's some good research out there that says "sugar is sugar" - is an banana better for you than a chocolate chip cookie? Sure, but it still counts.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Unless you have a need to track sugar, don't bother, and track something like fibre instead.
    +1

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I do not count sugar; it's a carb and I already track carbs, so no need for both. I swapped it out for fiber, which I find more useful.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I know everyone says that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but I disagree.

Also? Five coming before six? Not in my book! :wink:

OP: no one cares what you do. It's the fact that you're looking at a FACT (all sugars are processed by our bodies the same way) as if it's an opinion.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have informed myself. I like how I feel when I avoid it instead of consuming lots of it. Why do you care?

You're saying refined sugar isn't from things that grow in nature, that it's fake. Those statements are incorrect.

Yea it comes from nature but then it is processed and refined. Fruit comes straight from the plant and eaten.
    If it works for you, eat all the sugar you want

How sugar gets processed and refined:

Centrifugal force and water. No chemicals or anything involved in the process.

Sugar beets are sliced and soaked in hot water to extract the sugar. This sugar water gets boiled then dried. The brown molasses get removed by spinning it in a centrifuge, the rest of the brown color gets removed by being sprayed with water.
    That's all.
    It's in no way, shape or form different from the sugar that was in the beet to begin with. In fact, many fruits are containing the exact same sugar.

But I'm wasting my time here because you obviously already think it's the devil and no amount of actual facts is going to change that.

I believe high fructose corn syrup is processed via chemical means.