Night eating

Options
jakeziskin1
jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I seem to do good all day. I eat and track all my foods. Sometimes I don't eat until the afternoon because I take a medication(for Heath reasons) not going into detail, a side effect is lose of appetite. But at the end of the day 11pm 12am, I get hungry. I go to the kitchen and eat. How can I stop this? I am trying to go on a calorie deficint and eat 1600 a day. I was curious if anyone ever tried any suppressant or herbal supplement to help stop the cravings.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    You're already not hungry during the day. Eat something light with your meds, if that's how you're supposed to take them, and eat the rest of your calories at night. Does eating that late interfere with your sleep? That's really the only reason not to eat that late.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Stock your fridge with good things. I also drink mint tea at night. Helps me curb the late night munchies in a huge way.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep early and make it tomorrow. Then you get a new calorie goal for the day.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I usually do eat most my calories at night. Other then my meds, I landscape. At the moment I'm not due to snow but when I work there's no bathroom so my body stoped getting hungry because I'd get so uncomfortable. It doesn't effect my sleep though I am a rough sleeper due to back pain, and knee arthritis, I wake a lot so maybe this is one reason. I was looking up non addicting sleep aids and maybe I can try a food suppressent so if I do wake up or am up at 11/12am I don't have to feel as hungry.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if youre not hungry during the day save your calories for night.

lots of people do it that way, or leave extra calories for night snacking.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Can you try going to bed at 10:00 or 10:30 and just avoiding the whole thing by being asleep?
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I think the other thing is I'm working hard on maintaining a healthy diet. I have daily protein shakes, and my daily meals are made up of tuna, chicken, canned and frozen veggies already sautéed. But at night I say the hell with this stuff. I start looking for treats. I have up chips cookies and all that stuff but I find myself eating a bowl of cereal or two instead. I'm sure Apple Jacks or pops aren't much better than cookies or pretzels :/ I just need this night help so I can beat it!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are not doing good all day if you're not eating enough resulting in overeating or eating sub-par food late at night. If you eat a varied diet within a reasonable calorie goal (but I suspect 1600 is too little and may contribute to your loss of control), it doesn't matter when you eat. Do NOT look for appetite suppressants or herbal remedies to solve this problem, ESPECIALLY if you're on medication that already messes with your appetite.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Stock your fridge with good things. I also drink mint tea at night. Helps me curb the late night munchies in a huge way.

Tea seems to help a little but I still get an urg. What's some foods you stock
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    Go to sleep early and make it tomorrow. Then you get a new calorie goal for the day.

Haha I can't. I don't no what it is but I can get up at 7am sleep by 12:30am and good for 7am the next day. Sleeps not so good with me due to my pain :/
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It used to happen with me & I am not even taking any meds ;-). Then I started to eat atleast 5 times a day. Out of those, my three main (breakfast, lunch, dinner) meals I load my plate with a lot of lean proteins.

Not sure if you eat any breakfast, skipping it is a big 'pitfall' for weight management. Have a good breakfast, atleast 20-25% of your daily calorie intake. In afternoon, even if you aren't hungry you should have some protien-rich lunch, then some light healthy snack in the evening & then again some protien-rich dinner.

Now, this is what I do, everyone is different... hence, I won't suggest for you to follow it verbatim.
    But, I certainly wouldn't suggest any Suppressant or herbal supplement to help stop those late night cravings.

If you wish, try to follow a similar meal plan like mine for a week or two and if even then you are feeling hungry late nights, then consult your physician/dietitian to see if they can prescribe any suppressants or a meal plan suiting your lifestyle.

All the best.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    if youre not hungry during the day save your calories for night.

lots of people do it that way, or leave extra calories for night snacking.

You know I do. I usually save all except maybe 100 or to until around 7-8pm then il have dinner, basically my meal of the day. Then after like 10-11-12 I get hungry again but not for chicken dinner but something sweet :/ like I said I have up most sweets but I'm sure a bowl of lucky charms isn't great
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your previous threads indicate that you're under-eating. This can lead to excessive hunger and even binging. Have you tried eating the number of calories MFP suggests plus at least some of what you're burning via your daily workouts? This will probably help you control your appetite.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Can you try going to bed at 10:00 or 10:30 and just avoiding the whole thing by being asleep?

No way. I am never tired by that time. Honestl I snow plow. Worked from 4am to 10pm and still went to the gym right after, then gone and watched tv until 12. So even being up all day and working all day I'm not a tired man lol :/
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    mankars wrote: »
    Hi,

It used to happen with me & I am not even taking any meds ;-). Then I started to eat atleast 5 times a day. Out of those, my three main (breakfast, lunch, dinner) meals I load my plate with a lot of lean proteins.

Not sure if you eat any breakfast, skipping it is a big 'pitfall' for weight management. Have a good breakfast, atleast 20-25% of your daily calorie intake. In afternoon, even if you aren't hungry you should have some protien-rich lunch, then some light healthy snack in the evening & then again some protien-rich dinner.

Now, this is what I do, everyone is different... hence, I won't suggest for you to follow it verbatim.
    But, I certainly wouldn't suggest any Suppressant or herbal supplement to help stop those late night cravings.

If you wish, try to follow a similar meal plan like mine for a week or two and if even then you are feeling hungry late nights, then consult your physician/dietitian to see if they can prescribe any suppressants or a meal plan suiting your lifestyle.

All the best.

I appreciate the help. I can try but it's 11am I'm not hungry at all and to me if I eat now, il feel uncomfortable and even when I do eat. Maybe even a protien shake, I still have this night problem. That's why I was thinking a herbal supplements or asleep aids, so I can just relax, sleep and not think about food. I know it's mind over matter but sometimes I cave and I don't want to anymore.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    You are not doing good all day if you're not eating enough resulting in overeating or eating sub-par food late at night. If you eat a varied diet within a reasonable calorie goal (but I suspect 1600 is too little and may contribute to your loss of control), it doesn't matter when you eat. Do NOT look for appetite suppressants or herbal remedies to solve this problem, ESPECIALLY if you're on medication that already messes with your appetite.

Thank you. And you say DO NOT like herbal supplements are so bad for us. Are they? I'm not looking to do any damage so il take any advice!
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Your previous threads indicate that you're under-eating. This can lead to excessive hunger and even binging. Have you tried eating the number of calories MFP suggests plus at least some of what you're burning via your daily workouts? This will probably help you control your appetite.

My daily calories are 1900. I wanted to try for 1600 and eat back half my work out calories now! It's just I still have this urg. Maybe I can save up 100-300 for 10pm-12am as a just incase. I don't wanna wake at 12 and eat candy, but an apple or something ok sure
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

My daily calories are 1900. I wanted to try for 1600 and eat back half my work out calories now! It's just I still have this urg. Maybe I can save up 100-300 for 10pm-12am as a just incase. I don't wanna wake at 12 and eat candy, but an apple or something ok sure

IIRC, that 1,900 calorie goal is based on you selecting 2 pounds a week. If you're cutting it even more, you are potentially undernourishing yourself. This can lead to cravings, which is what people have suggested to you in multiple threads. You're seeking help for the symptom -- you can easily address the cause, which is undereating combined with heavy exercise.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    If you're not very hungry during the day, but still eating light meals you should be able to work in that late night hunger into your calorie goals. If you've tried eating enough during the day to keep you full at night and it's still not working then fit in your late night eating into your calorie goal. It doesn't matter if you eat day or night as long as it fits into your calorie goals.

My heaviest meals are in the evening.
    tumblr_nbgkt4Ao3t1ti6bhpo1_500.gif
  • jakeziskin1
    Options

IIRC, that 1,900 calorie goal is based on you selecting 2 pounds a week. If you're cutting it even more, you are potentially undernourishing yourself. This can lead to cravings, which is what people have suggested to you in multiple threads. You're seeking help for the symptom -- you can easily address the cause, which is undereating combined with heavy exercise.

I really enjoy exercising! I swim run, elliptical, weights every day, and a good hour to two in the sauna every day. I love the sauna and the fact that I feel so relaxed and also shred of water! I am not hungry most the day and I eat a large dinner, usually one meal a day. I was asking about a natural suppressent or healthier food options that are extremely low in calories. I'm good with 1600 a day, I'm not good with the urges at 11-12 am. Even if I was to eat more I still have this problem.