Juicing

Options
13»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any posts that are 'bullying'. I'm seeing people trying to explain why juicing fasts are bad for you using science. If you consider that bullying, there's not really anything we can say or do. The forums are here for people to share success and get help in changing their lifestyles, and promoting broscience and bad eating plans runs counter to that.

If you want to juice fast, no one is stopping you. We just want you to be aware of the dangers of doing so, if you weren't before. Just because you don't believe in the science doesn't make it wrong. We're also not just telling you why it's wrong, I also see many people trying to give you helpful advice on other things you can do. Again, your choice if you take their advice, but that's not bullying either.

As for me, if you want to add juicing as way to get extra nutrients in your day, I personally see nothing wrong with that. It can be a handy, and for some people tasty, way to supplement your diet. Many people use that as a way to replace snacking for instance. But it's not a good idea as a full meal replacement plan, espically long term, unless it's being approved and supervised by a doctor. If you want to try some kind of diet plan like that, run it by your doctor first. Not a nutritionist, but a licensed medical doctor. That way, you're getting all the information you need to make an informed decision.
  • grumpylupe
    grumpylupe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I never said it was a permanent thing. This is a temporary fast. I'm not constantly hungry either. I do add fiber supplements to my juices, maca, flax seed, also Chia. I have also started adding protein supplements. I lost 17.8 lbs in 7 days, which I am thinking of increasing my caloric intake or incorporating fresh salads in there somewhere. My energy levels are up, i'm keeping hydrated and I'm already noticing the way my clothes feel. I'm very motivated to do this my way and all I wanted was support. If you feel I'm not doing it the "right way", you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not gong to sit here and argue with someone who thinks their right no matter what. I'm under my doctors care and he advises to check in with him once a month while doing this to make sure I'm ok. Plus, I've made new friends who agree with me on here. So thank you.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    grumpylupe wrote: »
    No, I don't have a problem with facts, you have a problem with the manner in which you tell me your facts. And to presume you know more than some doctors who approve this method is ridiculous.

Which 'doctors' are those? Dr. Oz?

And whether you choose to take the facts to heart or not doesn't change those facts, though, because science. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I never said it was a permanent thing. This is a temporary fast. I'm not constantly hungry either. I do add fiber supplements to my juices, maca, flax seed, also Chia. I have also started adding protein supplements. I lost 17.8 lbs in 7 days, which I am thinking of increasing my caloric intake or incorporating fresh salads in there somewhere. My energy levels are up, i'm keeping hydrated and I'm already noticing the way my clothes feel. I'm very motivated to do this my way and all I wanted was support. If you feel I'm not doing it the "right way", you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not gong to sit here and argue with someone who thinks their right no matter what. I'm under my doctors care and he advises to check in with him once a month while doing this to make sure I'm ok. Plus, I've made new friends who agree with me on here. So thank you.

A safe rate of loss is about 2 pounds per week. You just claimed to lose over 2 pounds per day.

If this is a medically supervised thing, as you now claim, then why even look to MFP for advice rather than to your medical team?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I typically make a protein powder smoothie each day. It's a great way to increase my fruit and veg intake. The protein powder helps me reach my goals, I also add some chia seeds to help increase the fibre even more.

I understand that you are feeling defensive here. Nearly 18lbs in a week is alarmingly fast. Some will be water, some will be fat, and some will be muscle. I appreciate that you are following up with your doctor. Is he running bloodwork regularly?

I'm not going to harp on about it. I do hope that when the surprise of the responses has worn off, you will come back and reread them. There is a lot of concern expressed for your well-being here.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your juicer. If you have the type that doesn't strain out the fibre, I would count the fruits and vegetables based on what amounts of each one you use... the same as if you were eating it. If you have the type that DOES strain out the fibre, I would find the juicing equivalents and only use the juices as a supplement to a balanced diet as a means of getting some extra vitamins and minerals. It's a great idea if you don't particularly enjoy EATING your leafy greens.... I add spinach to my smoothies for this reason.

Having said that, you don't actually need juice to "reset" or "cleanse" your system. Your body is a well-oiled machine that can do these functions on its own. There are things that can help it along, like warm lemon water first thing in the morning. But, to each their own! You do what you think is best for you.
  • Alohabeaches
    Alohabeaches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Omg, I can't believe some of the comments on here. Totally unsupportive! Anyhow I don't know if anyone's seen the movie "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" but I recommend it. It changed/saved my husbands life! And Lupita I'm new to MFP too and maybe try adding each ingredient like 5 carrots, 1 leaf of Kale/Romaine, 3 Apples, 1 Cucumber, 1 Beat, 3 spears of pineapple. (a great Juice too btw!) Then stick to a high protein low-carb diet for you other entries! Add me if u like :smile:

People don't support bad ideas.

Do u even know her stats? Her circumstances?...Have u gotten to know her? Do u know her diet?
    Her primary physician supports what she is doing and she is cleared by a doctor. There are extreme cases where doctor's do recommend specific types of fasts for however long, in order to get their patients to drop enough weight to get mobile again.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your juicer. If you have the type that doesn't strain out the fibre, I would count the fruits and vegetables based on what amounts of each one you use

I weighed the ins and outs on a centrifugal juicer and 60-65% went to juice and the rest to pulp.

The separation is far from perfect and the juice is pretty cloudy. A lot of the fibre in an apple is soluble fibre that will go with the juice for example.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had severe acid reflux and juicing really helped me a lot. It's not an alternative to eating as a long term solution but it can be beneficial to some people. I just logged the calories in my juices. I juices at home but followed the blue print cleanse and so I would use the store bought versions to add to my log.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hun, look what this guy did, in a safe, healthy and sustainable manner. Juicing as your only means of nutrition, and undereating as a result of juicing, is unsafe. MFP gives you that warning for a reason.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10335114/after-248-days-i-surpassed-my-goal-388-to-219-6