Ideas for relaxing upper back muscles needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I had a sudden asthma emergency these last days. While I am now on extra meds, and am feeling better, the result is that from the effort of breathing these last days, my upper back hurts terribly.
I am taking a break from most exercise routines, for the next week or so, since I am still not 100% ok regarding breathing, with the exception of swimming that seems to help.
Any ideas how to get pain relief in my back. It is 100% sore muscles from the effort of breathing. Being in the water helps, but obviously I cannot spend the next days living in the pool :( Think the worst DOMS you have ever experienced, multiply by 10.
Antiinflammatories and painkillers other than paracetamol are forbidden because of interaction with other meds.

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! I'm so sorry. Try a heating pad when you can, if allowed. And a topical anti-inflammatory if that's OK. Rx is Voltaren Gel (or even Lidoderm lidocaine patches to put on spots). OTC ones are like the cream kind of Icy Hot or Bengay. Look for the amount of the anti-inflammatory in it and get the highest (that's a generic Icy Hot here where I am).

But don't use the topicals at the same time you are using the heating pad. Open pores are no good when using topical painkillers, especially the kinds with herbs in them.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! I'm so sorry. Try a heating pad when you can, if allowed. And a topical anti-inflammatory if that's OK. Rx is Voltaren Gel (or even Lidoderm lidocaine patches to put on spots). OTC ones are like the cream kind of Icy Hot or Bengay. Look for the amount of the anti-inflammatory in it and get the highest (that's a generic Icy Hot here where I am).

But don't use the topicals at the same time you are using the heating pad. Open pores are no good when using topical painkillers, especially the kinds with herbs in them.

I am allergic to Voltaren :(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Go get a massage.
    Keep water levels elevated.
    Light stretching like these: http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Shoulder-Stretches
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Aw. I can't take it internally (liver enzymes go up on it), but it's fine topically for me. The lidocaine works best anyway. Some countries have a cream that you apply under a film to to hold it on, so it doesn't have to be the Lidoderm patches.

I get a surprising amount of effect from the Icy Hot cream, but only the ones that are extra strength and a cream.

I've wondered if the lidocaine in a burn spray can get deep enough, but I never ended up trying that. Good luck!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As a topically applied pain reliever specifically for muscles, Arnica gel works well. Also foam rolling, if you have a foam roller.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you can get your hands on a cheap massage ball (spiked is my favorite), a tennis ball, or a golf ball that would be the best option for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSFlpadoK5E