Negative Calorie foods on Dr. Oz

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I am extremely delighted that I live in a country where that charlatan does not grace our airwaves

Although we do have other satires available to us

And no such thing as a negative calorie food

Apart from dust of course

Dr. Oz is a Quack. Hey @rabbitjb your in Britain, right? I used to get this weight loss show on BBC America where they would follow someone for a week, make them go poo in a tupperware, tell them what was wrong with their poo, and put them on a diet and exercise plan. I loved that show. That one and the two old birds that help hoarders clean their houses and analyze the germs in their house.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lydcot58 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Dr. Oz's show yesterday about negative calorie foods? It looks legit. What are your thoughts?
    No such thing...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am extremely delighted that I live in a country where that charlatan does not grace our airwaves

Dr. Oz is a Quack. Hey @rabbitjb your in Britain, right? I used to get this weight loss show on BBC America where they would follow someone for a week, make them go poo in a tupperware, tell them what was wrong with their poo, and put them on a diet and exercise plan. I loved that show. That one and the two old birds that help hoarders clean their houses and analyze the germs in their house.

lol

Never watched the poo woman ...but heard about it

Watched the cleaning programme a couple of times ...Aggy and someone...classic TV :bigsmile:
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Poo woman is Gillian mckeith....you are what you eat. And kim and aggy how clean is your house.....

Yeah for no Dr oz ....whackjob
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

lol

Never watched the poo woman ...but heard about it

Watched the cleaning programme a couple of times ...Aggy and someone...classic TV :bigsmile:

So you don't watch any British Television? >:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You are implying that British television is poo?

How very dare you

:D
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with many others...Dr Oz is a no no and no such thing as negative calories.
    Maybe some time ago Dr. Oz was legit, but I think the fame and fortune got to him.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I saw a show in London that really convinced me how different our cultures were about certain topics. A doctor's booth was set up in the middle of the street and people were invited to come in and speak with a medical professional about anything that might be troubling them, provided they were willing to appear on the show. Not a bad premise, as a doctor's appointment can be expensive and time-consuming, and this provided them with instant answers and/or advice.

One lady walked into the booth having trouble with her - let's just say "Exit Door" since I don't know what will be censored.

She dropped trow and spread cheek - and they showed everything. I promptly changed the channel.

Now, I get that the British sense of shame and nudity is different from US standards. HOWEVER - this woman said that the reason she hadn't gone to her normal doctor was because she was too embarrassed. Too embarrassed to go to a private doctor's appointment, but she happily went on a national television program (which revealed her face, first name, etc...)? I was so confused.

(To avoid derailing, I will say that Dr. Oz says a lot of common sense things... but if it's old and proven, it's probably already somewhat common knowledge. If what he says is new and different, he's probably speaking out of his "Exit Door".)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like some British TV. Love AB Fab. Heard they were doing a new movie. I also liked the original Trading Spaces on BBC, and if you don't appreciate Fawlty Towers...I guess I like the old stuff.

Of course, I also watch a ton of subtitled anime and get Japanese humor which is REALLY different from American humor. My husband has to leave the room when its on. So maybe I have questionable taste?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I saw a show in London that really convinced me how different our cultures were about certain topics. A doctor's booth was set up in the middle of the street and people were invited to come in and speak with a medical professional about anything that might be troubling them, provided they were willing to appear on the show. Not a bad premise, as a doctor's appointment can be expensive and time-consuming, and this provided them with instant answers and/or advice.

One lady walked into the booth having trouble with her - let's just say "Exit Door" since I don't know what will be censored.

She dropped trow and spread cheek - and they showed everything. I promptly changed the channel.

Now, I get that the British sense of shame and nudity is different from US standards. HOWEVER - this woman said that the reason she hadn't gone to her normal doctor was because she was too embarrassed. Too embarrassed to go to a private doctor's appointment, but she happily went on a national television program (which revealed her face, first name, etc...)? I was so confused.

(To avoid derailing, I will say that Dr. Oz says a lot of common sense things... but if it's old and proven, it's probably already somewhat common knowledge. If what he says is new and different, he's probably speaking out of his "Exit Door".)

^^LOL, Thanks, it has been a dismal day I needed a laugh!

I am pretty sure there are plenty of people that would do it here in the USA, but the networks wouldn't broadcast it due to censorship issues. Cable networks maybe would, but I don't know, there are some limits, even for them.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Ce2uq.png

Dr. Oz is a giant douche who believes in magic and shouldn't be taken seriously.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see Dr. Oz's show yesterday about negative calorie foods? It looks legit. What are your thoughts?

Dr. Oz is a windbag and a snake oil salesman. Nothing he says is legit. Ever.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Supplement to lose. Nope.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie food?
    ex%20lax%20top.jpg
  • lydcot58
    lydcot58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I came back on and cannot believe all the Dr. Oz haters. Yeesh! I don't know if any of you watched the segment. I guess not since why would you watch him. I admit he does flip-flop a lot, who ever is his guest he usually goes with, not always. He was saying how some foods, mostly vegetables and some fruit actually use up more calories to digest in the body than they add to your caloric total. Hence, being negative calories. I'm still logging my calories and I am counting fruits and vegetables. I just thought it was an interesting concept.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I came back on and cannot believe all the Dr. Oz haters. Yeesh! I don't know if any of you watched the segment. I guess not since why would you watch him. I admit he does flip-flop a lot, who ever is his guest he usually goes with, not always. He was saying how some foods, mostly vegetables and some fruit actually use up more calories to digest in the body than they add to your caloric total. Hence, being negative calories. I'm still logging my calories and I am counting fruits and vegetables. I just thought it was an interesting concept.

People here might not have seen the exact segment, but the myth of "negative calories" is pretty old. Dr Oz isn't the first person to try to pitch it, he probably won't be the last.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's a very old concept that's been argued to death and is fairly outdated. We don't have to have seen the particular segment to know that the science doesn't hold up very well on negative calorie foods.

Also, Dr Oz is always going to bring up this reaction with every mention. I'm honestly surprised every time I see someone taking him seriously anymore.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Oh, god... I ate a lot of dust on the trail this morning... Do I have to log that??? ;)
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Oh, god... I ate a lot of dust on the trail this morning... Do I have to log that??? ;)

If it is negative calorie do you log it as exercise?

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I saw someone work out the calories in dust, once. It has fairly good macros, but that was for dust in the home and not trail dust. I imagine they're going to be different.