Failing every day :(

Options
124»

Replies

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I agree that you may just plain not be eating enough calories during the day. Make sure you are getting a lot of protein...that really helps. Weight watchers used to use this analogy about hunger and eating...think of yourself like a balloon...when a balloon looses too much air it gets to that really shriveled state...if you get there, then you are over hungry and you will eat everything in sight to fill back-up and you end up overfilling...the overfilled balloon is stretched to that uncomfortable point of about to pop...you don't want to be that either. You want to be the balloon in the middle, no longer feeling the need for more but not uncomfortable.

Try a little distraction too...the worst thing you can do is sit down to watch tv or something...that just encourages mindless eating. Go for a walk, do some cleaning or get busy cooking dinner for your family...we all have a huge to do list so start checking some things off. Generally, once you've distracted yourself for at least 15 minutes, cravings pass. If you still want a snack, get don't grab the bag/box. Measure out 1 serving and put the rest away. After you've have that, if you still want more, get busy again. It takes a bit for those hunger impulses to subside, even after you've given the body what it wants. Also, a lot of people mistake hunger for thirst...try having a big glass of water instead of food first. If that doesn't take care of your hunger, it will at least help you feel full faster.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    coops3180 wrote: »
    Only thing is I crave cereal in the mornings and im also on limited time getting myself and kids ready and dropping them to preschool and school then driving to work I just dont have time to cook either x

I often boil a couple eggs the night before and put them in the refrigerator, so I have them ready to go as protein for breakfast the next morning. Greek yogurt is also protein-rich and easy for breakfast. You could even throw a little cereal into it to give you that crunch.
  • Fcc2023
    Fcc2023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »
    I agree that you may just plain not be eating enough calories during the day. Make sure you are getting a lot of protein...that really helps. Weight watchers used to use this analogy about hunger and eating...think of yourself like a balloon...when a balloon looses too much air it gets to that really shriveled state...if you get there, then you are over hungry and you will eat everything in sight to fill back-up and you end up overfilling...the overfilled balloon is stretched to that uncomfortable point of about to pop...you don't want to be that either. You want to be the balloon in the middle, no longer feeling the need for more but not uncomfortable.

Try a little distraction too...the worst thing you can do is sit down to watch tv or something...that just encourages mindless eating. Go for a walk, do some cleaning or get busy cooking dinner for your family...we all have a huge to do list so start checking some things off. Generally, once you've distracted yourself for at least 15 minutes, cravings pass. If you still want a snack, get don't grab the bag/box. Measure out 1 serving and put the rest away. After you've have that, if you still want more, get busy again. It takes a bit for those hunger impulses to subside, even after you've given the body what it wants. Also, a lot of people mistake hunger for thirst...try having a big glass of water instead of food first. If that doesn't take care of your hunger, it will at least help you feel full faster.

Thanks I will try although I dont tend to sit down that much really not until I have dinner about 8pm! X
  • Fcc2023
    Fcc2023 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Have a look at this calorie calculator scoobysworkshop

I plugged your stats in and with a 10% reduction, even without exercise it suggests 1471 calories a day. Your binging is mostly because you are not eating enough up to that point. Eat more earlier, and you are less likely to binge from hunger.

I'm short too (you have a couple of inches on me, and I weigh another half a stone on top of you). My calorie suggestion is around 1480, which should let me lose just over 1and a half lbs PER MONTH. If your short, your weight loss will take longer, much longer. Losing about a lb per month is more likely, which means MFP's goals are a bit too aggressive. You can manually change your calorie target. I suggest figuring out what your maintenance calories are, and what your goal calories are. Gradually reduce what you are eating whilst not feeling like you are starving, then stick at that level.

I have a bupa health assessment in March, it does a check on my bmr so hopefully I will know from that what I should eat in calories to lose weight, im just impatient...very impatient I did lose weight on the rosemary conley diet once which was 1200 a day but that was the only diet that ever worked for me..although only once it didn't work the two other times I did it which is weird?! Im guessing my age is making it more difficult...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    coops3180 wrote: »
    aim_3 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein and fat, less carbs. It seems to me that you're eating mostly carbs, and it's a recipe for disaster.

^^^This. I did 1200 calories for my first month (I am 36, 5'3", but much heavier than you). The thing that helped me most was eating protein for breakfast (2 eggs and 2 veggie sausages). It keeps me full until early afternoon, and allows me to have a smallish lunch without that uncontrollable craving for sweets before dinner.

Only thing is I crave cereal in the mornings and im also on limited time getting myself and kids ready and dropping them to preschool and school then driving to work I just dont have time to cook either x

There are cereals with higher protein content. There are make-ahead options and overnight options (like overnight oats, breakfast burritos, crockpot oatmeal, make-ahead breakfast sandwiches, egg frittatas, etc.) You can add protein powder to cereal, oats, or coffee. You can scramble a couple of eggs in the microwave while your kids are gathering things up.

If you honestly want cereal for breakfast and don't want to make the change, that's okay! But own it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to think of willpower as a muscle. By that I mean that it can get fatigued later in the day as you use it. The more decisions you have to make, the faster it seems to get tired and run out. Which means that we tend to make more impulsive decisions later in the day as we've used it up. The good news is that it can also be strengthened by practicing it and using it more and more. You can also work to simplify as many decisions as possible. That's where things like prelogging, precooking, or preportioning help. Since the decision was made when you packed the food, you don't have to make it when you might be in a weaker frame of mind. It gets easier as you get on a routine and don't have to make decisions as often.