Can't live without Ice Cream

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've already been through the agony of living without Blue Bell even before I joined MFP. Trust me, you can live without ice cream.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every night. And I don't count fruit or sugar free jello/pudding as "dessert" - I mean real dessert. I go through phases. Ice cream is a big one and cheesecake was a bit of an obsession for awhile as well. I was on a s'mores kick for a while too.

All those Skinny Cow and Smart Ones desserts can kiss my butt. I need 2-3 of those to feel like I had a real dessert. I leave about 300-400 calories for dessert, so I want the good stuff.

Next week I'm trying something new...cookie butter and banana sandwich "grilled" in a pan with real butter. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sweets too much to try and give them up altogether. I plan for them and allow some portion of my daily calories to cover my treats. I buy individually wrapped candies or cookies and pudding cups, and that helps keep me from going crazy. I love sugar free vanilla or chocolate pudding with berries of banana dipped into it. South Beach whipped chocolate and almond bars (remind me of Milky Way bars) and some individually wrapped candies.
    Preferably not more than 150 calories per day. Other treats must be more nutritious.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600-1800 cals a day - I plan my meals and snacks by prelogging the next day every night. And I almost always save 150-250 per day for my dessert. It's either ice cream or alcohol. This week I'm working on a pint of Ben & Jerry's "Tonight Dough" or a bottle of Chianti. The key with ice cream is use the food scale - weigh out a portion, put the container back in the freezer. I can demolish a pint of ice cream if I eat out of the carton!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It was Nice because it was vegan. Honey is not vegan, as bees are exploited in order to produce honey.

Never thought about it like that. What is the difference between that and the necessity of bees pollinating most of the fruits/veggies we eat? Now with all the problems happening to bees farmers have to call in bee keepers to bring by their colonies to manually pollinate as well.

Exploited bees however makes me think of a bunch of bees marching on Labor Day or something...

$_35.JPG

To collect honey, beekeepers must temporarily remove a number of the bees from their home. During the course of bee management and honey collection, even the most careful beekeeper cannot avoid inadvertently injuring, squashing, or otherwise killing some of the bees. Other commodities may be taken from the hive as well, including beeswax, honeycomb, pollen, propolis, and royal jelly.

Bees are not harmed by the process of pollination -- it is something they would do whether or not humans were involved or reaped any profit. If one were to stretch the point, using honey could, in a broad sense, be considered analogous to dairying. Furthermore, there is no reason to take honey from bees other than to sell it. Utilizing bees to pollinate crops in no way necessitates ravaging their hive.

There are some other points too but I'm too scatterbrained for that right now... o:)

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I learned something.

7b4bb1e9baa7bd75adbc6e3ebe3454b9.jpg

• rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Every single night.

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ice cream is my absolute favourite treat in the world. I try to fit it in when I can - although sticking to a serving is hard! how on earth half a cup of ice cream is considered a serving by any normal human being blows my mind lol. but I only get 1200 calories in a day so what can you do.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat ice cream when I want usually weekly.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    No "di
    I eat dessert every night. And I don't count fruit or sugar free jello/pudding as "dessert" - I mean real dessert. I go through phases. Ice cream is a big one and cheesecake was a bit of an obsession for awhile as well. I was on a s'mores kick for a while too.

All those Skinny Cow and Smart Ones desserts can kiss my butt. I need 2-3 of those to feel like I had a real dessert. I leave about 300-400 calories for dessert, so I want the good stuff.

Next week I'm trying something new...cookie butter and banana sandwich "grilled" in a pan with real butter. I'm pretty excited about it.

I'm with you. No "diet desserts" for me. You don't see them in France. They use the real butter, creams and sugars. I love the book French Women Don't get Fat".
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way about ice cream, but I'm really happy with blended frozen fruit with yogurt and stevia, or blended frozen fruit with a little nut milk and protein powder. It fuels my body and doens't make me feel weird, and is just as satisfying as ice cream.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    So I'm factoring it in to my daily calories. Do any of you do this also?

No. I factor in beer.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Ice cream is my absolute favorite treat. And I don't do the low cal crap either. Right now my favorite are the Haagen Daz mini ice cream bars. My husband asked me one night if I REALLY had to have ice cream. Yes, yes I do
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    It honestly depends on the kind of ice cream you are eating, but most of them are going to have a much higher calorie AND fat content than a frozen banana and a little almond or peanut butter.
    And the mixers I suggested were just options. You can add whatever you want, or nothing at all. It's absolutely delicious just by itself, banana flavored! It is still a better alternative to full fat ice cream, especially if you are eating the kinds with candies or cookie doughs in them.

Well, no, not really.

1 smallish banana + 1 tbsp of peanut butter + 1 tsp honey + 1 tbsp cocoa powder ~ 230-240 cals
    1 scoop Ben & Jerry's Belgium Salted Caramel Brownie Ale = 250 cals

Not that there aren't flavors that are higher, but really your mix is falling in the middle of the B&J's lineup. There are a ton of ice cream lines out there with fewer cals than B&J. And that's forgetting their frozen yogurt which can be very good and is generally < 200 cals per serving.

I had to get all the deets.

This is the weight of the small banana I had this AM. I think a tablespoon of cocoa powder would be too much, and would try this with one teaspoon myself, but for the sake of argument:

e4398fcdccc91243caf7832422f3de8c.png

I want my ice cream full fat or not at all. Here's my fave:

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/smores-ice-cream
    e5f74cc9b191f7b58c13b679135e156e.png

Here's the one you mentioned:

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/salted-caramel-brownie-ale-ice-cream

08a9602329b40c23e897371129b13daa.png
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    It honestly depends on the kind of ice cream you are eating, but most of them are going to have a much higher calorie AND fat content than a frozen banana and a little almond or peanut butter.
    And the mixers I suggested were just options. You can add whatever you want, or nothing at all. It's absolutely delicious just by itself, banana flavored! It is still a better alternative to full fat ice cream, especially if you are eating the kinds with candies or cookie doughs in them.

Well, no, not really.

1 smallish banana + 1 tbsp of peanut butter + 1 tsp honey + 1 tbsp cocoa powder ~ 230-240 cals
    1 scoop Ben & Jerry's Belgium Salted Caramel Brownie Ale = 250 cals

Not that there aren't flavors that are higher, but really your mix is falling in the middle of the B&J's lineup. There are a ton of ice cream lines out there with fewer cals than B&J. And that's forgetting their frozen yogurt which can be very good and is generally < 200 cals per serving.

I had to get all the deets.

This is the weight of the small banana I had this AM. I think a tablespoon of cocoa powder would be too much, and would try this with one teaspoon myself, but for the sake of argument:

e4398fcdccc91243caf7832422f3de8c.png

I want my ice cream full fat or not at all. Here's my fave:

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/smores-ice-cream
    e5f74cc9b191f7b58c13b679135e156e.png

Here's the one you mentioned:

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/salted-caramel-brownie-ale-ice-cream

08a9602329b40c23e897371129b13daa.png

But who can only eat 1/2 cup. On the rare occasions I buy it I know that I will not be able to eat only 1/2 cup.
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, though not often. I am a fan of those single-serve cups in various brands and flavors. It makes portion control easy, and prevents the temptation of "one more spoonful" that comes with full-size containers. I had a really stressful day today, and one serving of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream was very satisfying (and soothed my ragged nerves).
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    oh yes... definitely!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Yes, though not often. I am a fan of those single-serve cups in various brands and flavors. It makes portion control easy, and prevents the temptation of "one more spoonful" that comes with full-size containers. I had a really stressful day today, and one serving of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream was very satisfying (and soothed my ragged nerves).

Hopefully, and it is my dream to be able to actually have a pint of Ben & Jerrys in my freezer and eat only one serving at a time instead of going through the whole pint on one setting.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Had a magnum ice cream with almond last night worth every calorie.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    There is nothing food wise that "I can't live without" on a daily basis. There are a few things that I like, and if I fancy to have them once in a while then I will.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I put the ice cream (or chocolate, or cake or whatever) on the diary first thing when logging everyday. Everything else gets put on the diary around these calories and I even find I want something different during the day and change the serving amount or do away with it all together..

Seems to work 99.9% of the time.