Two month plateau despite caloric deficit + exercise (food pics included)

Options
Last time I posted on this forum was about 4 months ago (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254881/extremely-slow-weight-loss/p1). I am now 7-8 months into my journey and still far away from my goal weight. In that time span I took some of the advice I received on this forum very seriously and began to be anal strict with my counting. I've also added strength training and light cardio to my weekly routine. Despite these changes I have been stagnant, going up and down a pound and really hovering at 174 lbs. Let me give some numeric background:

Starting Weight: 195-197 lbs?
Goal Weight: 132.5-143 lbs (estimated from tables based on body frame size which is small per wrist measurement and small-medium based on elbow width measurement)
Current Weight: 174.5
Height: 5' 7.5''

BMR = 1623 kcal/day
Daily Metabolic Needs (sedentary) = 1948 kcal/day

I have seen some progress: I went from a size 16 pant to a size 14, and now wear mediums in most tops (I am a pear so I can easily go down to size 8-10 in tops if it wasn't for the hips). However my progress has been gruelingly slow. Considering I have attempted to have a 1000 cal deficit per day for a 2lb weight loss per week, I have come NOwhere near ever losing 2 pounds a week. And I failed to reach my goal of 165 by the end of 2015.

After a 3 month hiatus from mid October-mid January I have attempted to get back on track. I started mid-January with a 1000 calorie intake per day in attempts to jump start weight loss. I also began a full body split every other day for maybe 3 times a week to build muscle since I figured I lost weight slowly because of a very slow metabolism. Since I don't like running, I resolved to do 2 miles of jogging/walking on days not strength training. I have since increased the calories from 1000 to 1200/day since it was extremely difficult to stick with the 1000 calories and because I was told I was putting my body in starvation mode.

For food I have learned to meal prep, and weigh everything! Below is a pictorial outline of what I eat on a daily basis on weekdays. It does not change too much from this. No oil or crease or sauce is used to cook any of the food.

16d55b7qlcz0.png

1lrru44reufp.png

Below is my progress over the last month (and if your wondering whether maybe I've seen progress not on the scale, no I have not, nothing fits differently or looser):

nb2k6dxkh326.png

The weakness may come from the weekends, where I often find myself in a situation where I am going out and I either did not eat one of my prepared meals, or could not take it with me (like going to the mall). If it's fast food, I will always go for a chicken sandwich (these tend to be the lowest calories and most filling across the board) and no sides (e.g. McD's Chicken Burger or Artisan Grilled Chicken = 360 cal). But then there are times when I am over a friend's house or I am having home made cooking that there is no easy way for me to estimate. Good example, last weekend was Super Bowel. Food available consisted of cheese dip, chips, chicken wings, ribs, ice cream cones. I will not lie, I had some of the cheese dip, a cup of Munchies, two chicken wings, 1 piece of rib, and two scoops of ice cream in a waffle bowel. The next day I had jumped approximately 3 pounds, and over the last day have dropped maybe 1.5 of that.

The frustration is real. Work hard all week.... see no progress. Make one slip up and I'm paying for it the entire next week to get back to where I started.

I've watched HOURS AND HOURS of videos of YouTube of success stories. Looked up articles, read forum posts. These people who lose consistently 1-2 pounds a week, how is it possible? I don't get it, what am I missing??? Exercise ✓ Calorie Deficit ✓ Balanced Meals/Macros ✓

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much on weekends and erasing any deficit you've achieved during the week. Your calorie goal is unnecessarily low. Change your goal to one pound per week. Eat that every day, including on weekends. Don't try to lose two pounds per week, which forces an extremely low (for your height/size) calorie goal and encourages you to eat more on the weekend.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You're eating too much on weekends and erasing any deficit you've achieved during the week. Your calorie goal is unnecessarily low. Change your goal to one pound per week. Eat that every day, including on weekends. Don't try to lose two pounds per week, which forces an extremely low (for your height/size) calorie goal and encourages you to eat more on the weekend.

This. Exactly..If you increase your calories a bit, and eat more of what you like during the week, you may tend to eat less of those things on the weekend. As an aside tho....it is totally up to you if you eat too much of the yummy things...Decide for yourself how bad you want to get that weight down, and then decide what you're willing to give up to make that happen....Friday nite, when it's time to go out, GO, but eat thoughtfully. All weekend long, when you eat, try to do it with the thought in mind that you don't want to blow all your hard work from last week. Rest days and cheat days are fine, but if you're determined to make this happen, you'll need to do something about those for awhile. (((Also, I noticed you said you didn't reach your goal by the end of 2015. The reason for that is right above that fact, when you mention you took a hiatus from Mid October to Mid January. That's a long haitus, for someone with a goal!!! ))
    Good luck to you..if you stick with a reasonable plan, you CAN do this! xo
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There's no way you should be at 2lb/week if you're currently at 174lbs unless you're like four feet tall. Set a bit of a less aggressive goal so that you can eat a little more, feel more full, and therefore don't feel as though you have to go into binge mode on the weekends.

You can also try the 2lb/week goal for weekdays, and then eat at maintenance on Saturday/Sunday. You won't hit the 2lb per week, but you'll at least be losing while not being so restricted on the weekends when you likely have a more open schedule, i.e. easier chance of going crazy on your calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have seen some progress: I went from a size 16 pant to a size 14, and now wear mediums in most tops
    That's awesome progress! Inches lost = body changing - who cares what the scale says? Do not let that scale number get to your head. I had similar issues at one point - six months of going up and down the same few pounds on the scale, but during that time dropped a full size. That's a win in my book.

Sounds like what you were doing was working, just not as quickly as you'd like. But I would advise against dropping to 1000 a day - it sucks for one thing, and not sustainable, and if you're working hard with strength training and other workouts. Your body needs fuel or you'll soon burn out in the exercise department. As far as cardio, if you don't like running, don't run! Find some other cardio - kickboxing, cycling, a sport, hiking or something. There's no magic formula that says you have to run to lose weight.

As for weekends, especially this last one with Super Bowl, they can be tough. It's nice to relax a little and indulge in some goodies, and it's doable with a reasonable calorie goal. There's no room for any of that if you aim too low. Maybe try pre-logging things on the weekend as best you can. I will often have my usual breakfast, then pre-log dinner if I know I'm going out, or even if I know what I'm fixing at home. I enter any cocktails or desserts that I might want to have, and then plan my lunch and snacks around that - helps keep things in check so when the wine is in front of me, I haven't already indulged in a bag of Cheetos at lunch or whatever and now there's no room for it.

It's a learning process, and if you're in it for the long haul, you've got to be patient with it. Keep at it, be as consistent as you can, and realize that not every day is going to be perfect.
  • coolcoci_115
    coolcoci_115 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There's no way you should be at 2lb/week if you're currently at 174lbs unless you're like four feet tall. Set a bit of a less aggressive goal so that you can eat a little more, feel more full, and therefore don't feel as though you have to go into binge mode on the weekends.

Let me clarify, I don't binge. Nor do I "crave" these foods, and go out of my way to eat too much of these. If I could eat a prepared meal instead of the food offered me I would. So I went back to my diary for last Sunday (Super Bowel) where I had went out with my family and had a 6 oz steak with asparagus, and 1/4 portion of a cheese dip appetizer, plus all that junk I had at my friends. The total caloric count came just under 2000 calories. That means I ate at my maintenance for that day and my deficit was still 4380 (or supposedly 1.25 lb) for that week.

• coolcoci_115
    Options
    Also I do not expect a 2 lb/week. In my original post, I said I was never able to hit that. But my expectation is 1lb/week, which even that doesn't happen.
  • jemhh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Also I do not expect a 2 lb/week. In my original post, I said I was never able to hit that. But my expectation is 1lb/week, which even that doesn't happen.

If you are aiming for 1 pound per week eat at a level for 1 pound per week. You are not doing that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Are you weighing your rice dry first? Just asking because more often than not, the 'cooked rice' entries on MFP underestimate the calories by 30%. Are you weighing your creamer and dressing too? Calories can creep up fast on those if you're not accurate.

Also... log your week ends even if you go over. Other than that, well, you just started working out again, so you could just be retaining water (plus if your period is due soon, that's even worse).

And try to be more active. And go see a doctor because something isn't right, IMO.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Gheez eat at maint and walk 3 times, cut out the soda and add more real food!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    It won't happen every week...it sometimes doesn't even happen every month! For me I can go two months at a time without the scale budging. But if you stay consistent, and keep the faith...it will happen over time...It's hard, and it takes work, planning, sacrifice....but it's doable. It sounds like you've already totally done well, give yourself a pat on the back, and relax a bit. :)
  • coolcoci_115
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your rice dry first? Just asking because more often than not, the 'cooked rice' entries on MFP underestimate the calories by 30%. Are you weighing your creamer and dressing too? Calories can creep up fast on those if you're not accurate.

Also... log your week ends even if you go over. Other than that, well, you just started working out again, so you could just be retaining water (plus if your period is due soon, that's even worse).

And try to be more active. And go see a doctor because something isn't right, IMO.

I don't weigh my rice dry, because how am I supposed to cook one serving of rice at a time? And I assumed that if the rice is wet it will weigh more and thus I will add less of it to my plate. All my food is weighed out on a scale during meal prep (the protein in ounces, and the rice and vegetables in grams). The dressing added to chicken is measuring using a spoon measure, and I do the same for creamer added to coffee.

I do log my weekends as best as I can even if I go over.

I will be getting an MD degree in about 2 months, father is a physician. Last blood work checked out, I do not notice any significant signs of clinically evident hypothyroidism, nor do i have symptoms of PCOS.

• jemhh
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't weigh my rice dry, because how am I supposed to cook one serving of rice at a time? And I assumed that if the rice is wet it will weigh more and thus I will add less of it to my plate.

I do log my weekends as best as I can even if I go over.

I will be getting an MD degree in about 2 months, father is a physician. Last blood work checked out, I do not notice any significant signs of clinically evident hypothyroidism, nor do i have symptoms of PCOS.

Use the recipe builder.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

you pretty much HAVE to be eating more than you think you are. Now, I would go to the doc to run tests to make SURE, but assuming there is no thyroid or other issue.... it boils down to food.

make exercise a part of your routine. FIND THE TIME. it will help your deficit, and also help your overall fitness and how you feel in general.
  • idontwanttobefat2
    Options
    You should definitely consider a low carb; low glycemic approach to weight loss. It really works. May I suggest to you to listen to some of Eric Berg's youtube video's concerning this. The food you are consuming does not allow for regulation of your glucose levels...if you are not maintaining this or even considering this...it really matters not what you eat or how much you exercise what you eat gets "stored" once your body releases insulin to maintain your levels. Your body releases insulin every time you eat (it has to) so the more carbs and sugar you are consuming (even if it's natural sugar-like in fruit) the more insulin it dumps to try and regulate. Insulin turns on your "fat storing" hormones! Nobody really tells you this stuff...once you really learn how it all functions....you can take off the weight. Message me if you want more details
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lose the artificial sweeteners. They screw with your insulin sensitivity, and mess up your metabolism.

Shock your system with some intermittent fasting, and try things like fasted cardio to boost your fat burn.

Lift weights - and lift heavy. Heavy resistance training builds muscle and burns more fat over time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Message me if you want more details

It would be great if you could elaborate here for the rest of us, instead of doing it in a "private" message :smile:

• coolcoci_115
    Options

you pretty much HAVE to be eating more than you think you are. Now, I would go to the doc to run tests to make SURE, but assuming there is no thyroid or other issue.... it boils down to food.

make exercise a part of your routine. FIND THE TIME. it will help your deficit, and also help your overall fitness and how you feel in general.

I wish I could believe this.... I really do. But I have tried so hard to be regimented with my food that things just don't add up and I don't know why. I've read the articles about why I could not be losing weight. I don't wake up at night to eat, never have, and never will. Everything is pre-measured and boxed up so I never end up standing in front of the fridge eating without regard. I've changed my snacks to be more wholesome and still low calories. I'm getting enough protein, carbs, and fats throughout my day without doing all protein or all-carb.
  • mgdnutty
    mgdnutty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i had same problem what I found is im very active during the week on my feet all day at work and lift weights weekends I pretty much lounge so was burning about half the calories plus weekends my diet wasn't as strict double whammy losses during the week were negated
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact answer for you, but one thing I can recommend is if you have a big "cheat" on a day like the Superbowl, don't weigh yourself afterwards. You're just setting yourself up to get discouraged. I've gained 8-10 lbs of water from a big day of eating. I just wait a week to weigh in and keep on track.

Also "Lose the artificial sweeteners. They screw with your insulin sensitivity, and mess up your metabolism." hasn't been remotely proven, scientifically. I probably use 15+ packs a day and have no issues losing 1-2 lbs a week while feeling fantastic.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Everything is pre-measured and boxed up so I never end up standing in front of the fridge eating without regard.

but its not. the food on the weekends, any inaccurate logging (oils, dressings, etc), possible bits from other things.... even prepackaged foods (please drop those and eat real food, by the way but okay) - those are estimates. there is a margin of error. You take that margin of error, combine it with the guesstimates from other times, a possibly inaccurate activity level (i dont know what yours is set at but id hope sedentary) ... all these things can add up and eliminate a deficit.