Two month plateau despite caloric deficit + exercise (food pics included)

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact answer for you, but one thing I can recommend is if you have a big "cheat" on a day like the Superbowl, don't weigh yourself afterwards. You're just setting yourself up to get discouraged. I've gained 8-10 lbs of water from a big day of eating. I just wait a week to weigh in and keep on track.

Also "Lose the artificial sweeteners. They screw with your insulin sensitivity, and mess up your metabolism." hasn't been remotely proven, scientifically. I probably use 15+ packs a day and have no issues losing 1-2 lbs a week while feeling fantastic.

From what I've read artificial sweeteners affect people differently. Some people they have no negative affect, others they do screw with their system...
    I can't say for sure as I don't use them, and I'm not willing to test out the theory either :wink:

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    You should definitely consider a low carb; low glycemic approach to weight loss. It really works. May I suggest to you to listen to some of Eric Berg's youtube video's concerning this. The food you are consuming does not allow for regulation of your glucose levels...if you are not maintaining this or even considering this...it really matters not what you eat or how much you exercise what you eat gets "stored" once your body releases insulin to maintain your levels. Your body releases insulin every time you eat (it has to) so the more carbs and sugar you are consuming (even if it's natural sugar-like in fruit) the more insulin it dumps to try and regulate. Insulin turns on your "fat storing" hormones! Nobody really tells you this stuff...once you really learn how it all functions....you can take off the weight. Message me if you want more details
    Here's a detail..................protein increases insulin release too. You store in surplus, not in deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• coolcoci_115
    coolcoci_115 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    the more insulin it dumps to try and regulate. Insulin turns on your "fat storing" hormones! Nobody really tells you this stuff...once you really learn how it all functions....you can take off the weight. Message me if you want more details

I'm pretty sure medical school taught me very well how insulin works. Insulin is a necessary and vital part of how we digest food and take up glucose that is necessary for the function of all our organ systems but most importantly the brain which can only run on glucose. Given that I am young and do not suffer from diabetes, my body probably does a good job of releasing the appropriate amount of insulin.

On another note, insulin is released almost immediately after you start the process of eating food, regardless if you have ingested the food or not. This is a reflexive response, and I'm not sure eliminated my carbohydrates would decrease my insulin release.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    I am unclear on something. During this two month plateau, did your other measurement (waist and the like) go down? If so, I cannot think of too many instances where that would be anything but a drop in body fat. If that is the case, and your measurements other than weight continue to go down, weight should eventually follow.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and definitely make sure you go to the doc to rule out any possible medical issues - do that ASAP to be on the safe side!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lose the artificial sweeteners. They screw with your insulin sensitivity, and mess up your metabolism.
    But the ADA (American Diabetes Association) actually recommends it to keep insulin sensitivity in control.
    Shock your system with some intermittent fasting, and try things like fasted cardio to boost your fat burn.
    Fasted cardio doesn't boost fat burn any more significantly that doing cardio after eating.
    Lift weights - and lift heavy. Heavy resistance training builds muscle and burns more fat over time.
    Building muscle in deficit is unlikely for most and lifting weights works more on retention of muscle and strength rather than the over exaggerated EPOC.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• coolcoci_115
    Options

but its not. the food on the weekends, any inaccurate logging (oils, dressings, etc), possible bits from other things.... even prepackaged foods (please drop those and eat real food, by the way but okay) - those are estimates. there is a margin of error. You take that margin of error, combine it with the guesstimates from other times, a possibly inaccurate activity level (i dont know what yours is set at but id hope sedentary) ... all these things can add up and eliminate a deficit.

As I stated before, no oil, sauces or dressings are used to cook the food. Only the light dressing added to chicken which I measure before adding. Some of the prepackaged food is more convenience, but none that I would not consider "real" food. Yogurt? Cheese? What's wrong with that?

I agree the weekends are the trouble points, but even with the margin of error... why stagnation?

• ninerbuff
    Options
    OP, you're 2lb a week goal is too aggressive. Your body regulates to homeostasis to protect itself and that's likely where you're at now. Shoot for the calories for a 1lbs a week loss based on your stats and activity for awhile and BE CONSISTENT. If you're straying over the weekend, you're NOT being consistent.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SBennett0322
    SBennett0322 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Id search the internet for nutritionists in your area and see if they offer BMR tests. Just using a BMR calculator isn't entirely accurate- the tests they do at the nutritionist or doctor are accurate, though. That would at least give you peace of mind knowing that you are calculating everything correctly! You can also just Google "BMR test in (your city name)" to find a place that does them.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    I am unclear on something. During this two month plateau, did your other measurement (waist and the like) go down? If so, I cannot think of too many instances where that would be anything but a drop in body fat. If that is the case, and your measurements other than weight continue to go down, weight should eventually follow.

I don't have strict numbers, but I can tell you nothing fits differently or looser
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

but its not. the food on the weekends, any inaccurate logging (oils, dressings, etc), possible bits from other things.... even prepackaged foods (please drop those and eat real food, by the way but okay) - those are estimates. there is a margin of error. You take that margin of error, combine it with the guesstimates from other times, a possibly inaccurate activity level (i dont know what yours is set at but id hope sedentary) ... all these things can add up and eliminate a deficit.

I agree the weekends are the trouble points, but even with the margin of error... why stagnation?

because youre wiping out your deficit on the weekends :(
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, you're 2lb a week goal is too aggressive. Your body regulates to homeostasis to protect itself and that's likely where you're at now. Shoot for the calories for a 1lbs a week loss based on your stats and activity for awhile and BE CONSISTENT. If you're straying over the weekend, you're NOT being consistent.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm no longer shooting for a 2lb week loss goal (that would be ideal, but has never happened for me). I just want to be loosing 1 lb consistently. I agree on the consistency part, although this makes living a normal enjoyable life super difficult as I dread having to be out of the house during a time when I know I have to eat something, or invited out for social events with friends.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options

I don't have strict numbers, but I can tell you nothing fits differently or looser

I would say good number in terms of body measurements other than weight would be beneficial. Weight as a measure of progress is far too variable from things other than fat.

I also agree that cutting back the deficit for a while would likely be good. It may give you a needed mental rest, and might just help things get going.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options

Oh sorry I didn't complete my thought in the last post, I meant to say even with the margin of error I am at a 3500+ deficit over the entire week, so why am i not seeing any changes.

When I stray over the weekend I mean that I am eating more than 1200 calories. When I estimate ( and I try to be on conservative by overestimating the foods I ate) I don't add 3500 calories to my intake over the course of 2 days. My entire adult (and teenage) life I never could sit down and just eat a gigantic meal. Even before I attempted weight loss I had difficulty eating more than 1/2 a restaurant portion size.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your progress by doing body measurements and with body fat calipers as well as your weight.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating too much. Stick to your 1,200 calorie/day diet (even weekends) and you should start losing (seriously track EVERYTHING, it's easy to miss stuff). Also, try increasing your walks to 3-4 miles. If you don't see the scale move or any other signs of progress within 2 weeks, then consult a physician.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That rice looks more to me than 125 grams

But here is i did it.
    Cook one time one serving of rice...when cooked weigh it. Now you know approx for every time you take 1 serving of rice what it cooked will be. You only have to do this ones. Make an entree for it here on MFP and you can use it over and over. Best way is to do it in grams. So you dont have to depend on the serving size option anymore.

Also i miss in these pictures any oils and butters etc. they add up 14 gram of butter is 100 calories and a tsp of oil 190.

Than the weekend snacking you probably wipe out your deficit. Even if you think you are not eating a lot. You only gain weight in Surplus and you lose weight in Deficit.
    Medical issues can slow the process down. But the science stays the same. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight.

You dont have to cut out food groups only when you have a medical issue with them

You just have to eat in a deficit. You can eat all you want but portion control and weighing ALL your food. Not even use cups and spoons but weigh it! Spices/oils/butters/dressings/veggies etc etc.

95069916.png

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Oh sorry I didn't complete my thought in the last post, I meant to say even with the margin of error I am at a 3500+ deficit over the entire week, so why am i not seeing any changes.

When I stray over the weekend I mean that I am eating more than 1200 calories. When I estimate ( and I try to be on conservative by overestimating the foods I ate) I don't add 3500 calories to my intake over the course of 2 days. My entire adult (and teenage) life I never could sit down and just eat a gigantic meal. Even before I attempted weight loss I had difficulty eating more than 1/2 a restaurant portion size.

Hmmm......If you have your food numbers under control, I'd say then might you be overestimating your burn each day?...are you working out, and if yes, how are you determining your calorie burn? I'm not lecturing you, just trying to help you figure out where you need to adjust to get your numbers moving again. ;) ...oo...and btw, if you're only eating 1200 a day, that's really low, I'd really increase that for your own sake.......I'm still losing weight, and eating 1400-1600 every day...I'm supposed to be at maintenance, but I haven't quite mastered it yet.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    btw i am twice your age
    and smaller than you ( 5.5)

I eat atm 2000 calories...and lose weight...i exercise about 300 calories a day ( NET)

I started at 1200 calories a day and ate on top of that 50 to 75% of my exercise back and the weight dropped off. Fast!
    After some time i ate 1500 to 1600 till today 2000-2100

But i weigh EVERYTHING i eat. No cheat meals ( yes i eat more sometimes but that is not cheating i keep counting)

And no i dont have a fast metabolism and i dont do low carb ( i do high even) Only dont eat added salt ( because of a medical issue)