CLA and even C4 pre work out

Options
jakeziskin1
jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone ever used CLA in capsule form?

Does it really

Fuel energy and fat metabolism
Maintain lean muscle mass
Improve body composition

Has anyone ever used C4 pre - workout
Explosive energy with creative nitrate. What exactly does a pre work out do?

Would these be good supplements with working out. I want to be safe, these were recommended by a man from GNC Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The people at GNC are required to try to "up sell" you. Meaning they have to try to sell something to you, especially GNC brand products.

CLA: human studies on CLA are very unreliable, often with large doses and the control group was rarely given the same dietary guidelines as the test group.

C4 encourages blood flow to the muscles and gives energy. You can get the same effects from caffeine and a bit of food before working out.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The people at GNC are required to try to "up sell" you. Meaning they have to try to sell something to you, especially GNC brand products.

CLA: human studies on CLA are very unreliable, often with large doses and the control group was rarely given the same dietary guidelines as the test group.

C4 encourages blood flow to the muscles and gives energy. You can get the same effects from caffeine and a bit of food before working out.

So I guess these are worthless investments lol
  • usmcmp
    Options

Many people enjoy C4, so I wouldn't say it's worthless. I personally don't like it. It contains beta-alanine and it causes me to be so itchy that I can't focus.

CLA MIGHT provide a tiny bit of benefit, but you have to be on top of diet and exercise anyway if it does happen to work.
  • kaylaboysell
    kaylaboysell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I take c4 and I love it. I feel much more motivated while I'm at the gym and I feel as if I can lift more
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I take or have used both.

I take CLA daily but notice no effect. That doesn't mean there is none, but I pay attention to that kind of thing and it's imperceptible to me. I haven't always taken it, but got some to sample and have been taking it daily for several months now. I wouldn't pay for it as I see no real benefit from it. Progression is as expected without, so take it or leave it.

C4 was my entry level preworkout. I've moved beyond that as my tolerance grew and i needed something a bit stronger. That is the most consistent thing I've seen with any preworkout... use increases tolerance which can lead to a perceived dependence or "inablilty" to lift without. I don't think pre is needed, but it's nice for those that like that... but minus beta alanine, it's nothing a cup of coffee won't get you, either and that's much cheaper. Beta Alanine has not held up well under the tests that I've read and is mostly used for the tingling sensation that leads to one thinking the preworkout is kicking in/working.

Edited to correct spelling.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've been using C4 for a while now. Running, lifting, yard work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I take C4 sometimes. It's mild. I like a pre-workout.
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Many people enjoy C4, so I wouldn't say it's worthless. I personally don't like it. It contains beta-alanine and it causes me to be so itchy that I can't focus.

CLA MIGHT provide a tiny bit of benefit, but you have to be on top of diet and exercise anyway if it does happen to work.

I 100% agree on the c4. I absolutely hate the beta alanine affect on me. I get itchy almost like my face & neck are on fire.
  • kolbykofficial
    kolbykofficial Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The new C4 formula is weak imo. I use the Beachbody performance line preworkout as has no artificial junk in it.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    In regards to all your posts on C4. All I feel to is a tingle in my face. What is C4 suppose to do, also are there any stronger better pre work outs. I don't feel a pump, I don't feel I can lift more or stay longer, pre work out or not I stay the same it seems?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The new C4 formula is weak imo. I use the Beachbody performance line preworkout as has no artificial junk in it.
    Lol, kinda of an oxymoron statement because it's a processed product.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jakeziskin1
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Any recommendations
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The thing with c4 is you can use more or less depending on your results. If I use a full scoop my face and ears will itch so I only use half a scoop. My husband on the other hand will use a full scoop, and I have a friend that uses a scoop and a half. It definitely gives me a boost for cardio days. I also drink bcaa during my workouts so I don't get fatigued. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    The thing with c4 is you can use more or less depending on your results. If I use a full scoop my face and ears will itch so I only use half a scoop. My husband on the other hand will use a full scoop, and I have a friend that uses a scoop and a half. It definitely gives me a boost for cardio days. I also drink bcaa during my workouts so I don't get fatigued. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.

I feel nothing but tingles even after 2 scoops. Seems like a waste of money for a hot itchy face lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Any recommendations
    Do you need a preworkout? Many just take it because......well everyone else is. My personal opinion is that if someone is getting adequate rest and meeting their macro/micronutrient needs, then really just a burst or caffeine should do ya. The rest is just hype.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Interesting. I've used beta alanine to the point that I no longer get the tingling sensation from it, and I kind of enjoyed it.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I feel nothing but tingles even after 2 scoops. Seems like a waste of money for a hot itchy face lol

How about caffeine pills and some carbs? There's no real need to take something.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I've been using C4 for a while now. Running, lifting, yard work.

While I'm sure you're joking, I will say, I believe many pre-workouts have directions against using them when doing cardio like running, just as an FYI to anyone looking through the thread.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Any recommendations
    Do you need a preworkout? Many just take it because......well everyone else is. My personal opinion is that if someone is getting adequate rest and meeting their macro/micronutrient needs, then really just a burst or caffeine should do ya. The rest is just hype.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't need the caffeine. I have to much energy as it is lol
    I'm not interested in an energy boost
    I want something to help me lift weights.

I have been struggling for years due to a shoulder injury and I can only bench press 135lbs. I use to life over 200lbs

I'm not interested in steroids or anything illegal. I have no desire to hurt my body or take drugs. But are there no legal supplements to help boost your testosterone or give you a boost when I'm at the gym.

• jakeziskin1
    Options

How about caffeine pills and some carbs? There's no real need to take something.

I don't need caffeine. I'm already worked as it is. I don't drink coffee