What is your average heart rate while exercising?

My easy cardio sessions i peak at around 165-170 and average around 155 for a 45 min session.

My intense cardio sessions i peak 192ish and average 182 for a 35 min session.

What do you guys get?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    i get average about 150 - hardcore 170, warm up 120.
  • Shonquinta
    Shonquinta Posts: 6 Member
    145 average, 170 is the highest peak for me.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    My easy cardio sessions i peak at around 165-170 and average around 155 for a 45 min session.

My intense cardio sessions i peak 192ish and average 182 for a 35 min session.

What do you guys get?

You asked, so here's mine. ;-)

24327330954_60cdf9c0d1_o.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Depends on what I'm doing......rowing it's usually 115 to 125bpm, cycling in the 130s (hit 169 the other day doing a threshold test), running in the 140s higher for a tempo run or hills....
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    165 average when I run. 120ish for walking. Hoping to get the running one down a little some day, that's at a easy or steady state pace for me. Even when I was running a lot more though that's what it was. Hopefully more training/weight loss will peel it down into 150s instead for my easy days so I can crank for intervals or tempo runs.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    It depends. Average HR ranges between 178 and 160 depending on the run, weather, how I'm feeling, etc.
    My RHR is somewhere between 25 and 50 (I don't track it, but I've seen 25 on an EKG after surgery). My max HR is 202. I'm 37, not 18. Can't remember what my LTHR is, but it's between 178 and 182.

Naturally that means absolutely nothing to anyone else
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2016
    Very much depends what I'm doing.

LSD runs it's averaging about 140, threshold runs about 170, sprint intervals it'll peak about 198 and average is meaningless in that sense.

Cycling LSD average c130, rowing c 125.

For a 10k race I'll hold c 170, for a half marathon more like 155.

fwiw I'm 45, 160lbs and 6ft1. My running threshold is 175 or so and my cycling threshold is 165.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    This was interesting - good question. I wear an HRM and average around 165-175 when doing cardio. If I'm lifting it's anywhere from 140-160 depending on the weight and #of reps, etc.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    My lactate threshold rate is right around 160 pbm. Most/all of my cardio is running. Easy runs are 128-142. Tempo runs 155-163. Zone 5 intervals are up to about 172-174. I can't get my HR much higher than that. I am 44 years old.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Mine is about 145 if doing cardio for 30 mins or so, I consider this my easy pace. If I sprint or do a hard interval on my bike trainer then I go to 160-170. It feels like my heart wants to jump out of my chest. But my cardiovascular capacity is pretty limited at the time AKA I'm out of shape.
    Also important to know is the resting HR which when I was in shape was in the low 50's just waking up.
    Now while I'm driving it's like 70.
    Curious to know yours OP since you can go so high while working out
  • lporter229
    Mine is about 145 if doing cardio for 30 mins or so, I consider this my easy pace. If I sprint or do a hard interval on my bike trainer then I go to 160-170. It feels like my heart wants to jump out of my chest. But my cardiovascular capacity is pretty limited at the time AKA I'm out of shape.
    Also important to know is the resting HR which when I was in shape was in the low 50's just waking up.

Your maximum HR is more a function of your age and not your level of fitness. Lactate threshold heart rate (which can be generalized as the HR you can sustain for about 1 hour) and resting heart rate are better indicators of overall fitness.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    You're pretty much born with your max HR, and for it decreases slowly as you age but the starting point and rate of decrease is not the same for all. Max HR does not correlate with current fitness, athletic potential, or length of life.

Easy run average (up to 15 mi) is mid 170's, a steady state run would be in the 180's (up to 6 mi), if I'm pushing enough that I'm breathing too hard to carry on a conversation I'm 195+. The max I've measured and confirmed by taking my own pulse was 211. That was not any kind of max HR test, just running like I would a 1 mile race for half a mile.

Resting HR 40-45.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member

My resting HR is 80 but i am 50lbs overweight
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

Your maximum HR is more a function of your age and not your level of fitness. Lactate threshold heart rate (which can be generalized as the HR you can sustain for about 1 hour) and resting heart rate are better indicators of overall fitness.

Thanks for the unsolicited answer to a non-existing question. In the name of the people who may not know better please don't share information like this just to show how much you know. I don't think I implied I believe my max HR is 170. And I'm definitely not wondering about a definition of fitness.
    I know you mean well but posts like yours confuse the heck out of newbies. It's great that you know that. I do too. But it really has little practical value when you're starting out. It really dont bother me much but I decided to post this in the name of those who are starting out and may be confused by throwing the LT term at them.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016

Thanks for the unsolicited answer to a non-existing question. In the name of the people who may not know better please don't share information like this just to show how much you know. I don't think I implied I believe my max HR is 170. And I'm definitely not wondering about a definition of fitness.
    I know you mean well but posts like yours confuse the heck out of newbies. It's great that you know that. I do too. But it really has little practical value when you're starting out. It really dont bother me much but I decided to post this in the name of those who are starting out and may be confused by throwing the LT term at them.

I guess you can call it your "fitness age". And not just your age. Plus depending on the activity there are variables such as exercises and exercise movements that are aerobic in nature and that are performed at intensities between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold

There are a number of conditions under which heart rate can increase, but without an increase in oxygen uptake:
    -Stress, Illness
    -Dehydration
    -Environment (high heat and humidity)
    -Heavy strength training (HR increases because of increased pressure)
    -Changes in posture
    -Cardiovascular drift during extended aerobic exercise

No one will run, bike or exercise in the same zone or threshold. My resting got tons better at around 64 and my max is 187. I have been running for a year and half and I am getting up there in age..
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    A good rule of thumb for sustained average HR is 180-age. Max is 220-age, You can move the first number with training but typically it is a hard workout if you can stay around the 180-age mark. I'm 47 so that would mean 133 for me, I tend to workout at an average of 140-145.

A fun test is to get on a bike, dreadmill, ellipical and go for 30 minutes after being warmed up and measure your average HR, you will find it will slowly go up as you get in better shape. Also look at your Cal/hour values and that too will increase. You will be able to get more power out of your body, and that's the point
  • emistevenson
    emistevenson Posts: 12 Member
    I have an unusually fast heartrate. My RHR is somewhere around 75-80 bpm and my MaxHR is around 215. A slow jog that I could do forever without getting tired puts me in the 170s - that's my Zone 3. I don't really feel like I'm working/in Z 4 until I'm in the 180s. And I routinely peak at 195ish, and occasionally peak with a short time at Z 5/ 205 or 210 when I was really pushing myself.
  • lporter229

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I am truly sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to "show how much I know." As you pointed out, I was only trying to help. The last line of your post made me think that you were implying that there is a correlation between your resting heart rate and your maximum heart rate, or that a higher heart rate is an indication of increased fitness. Sorry if I misinterpreted this, but I see this same thing come up over and over, so I decided to chime in. I did not intend to insult anyone or confuse anyone. I'll just keep quiet going forward.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I am truly sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to "show how much I know." As you pointed out, I was only trying to help. The last line of your post made me think that you were implying that there is a correlation between your resting heart rate and your maximum heart rate, or that a higher heart rate is an indication of increased fitness. Sorry if I misinterpreted this, but I see this same thing come up over and over, so I decided to chime in. I did not intend to insult anyone or confuse anyone. I'll just keep quiet going forward.

I thought your input was interesting and informative. I read it not so much as a response to that post, but as additional info to contribute more context to a discussion about HR and what it means. So thanks!

For moderate cardio, I average around 140-150.
    Intervals average around 160, peak around 185. RHR 50-55.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Nice stuff guys so our average heart rates while working out are not too far apart.