What is your average heart rate while exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My average HR is about 134-144 when briskly walking on the treadmill and elliptical. If I am running, its about 155 and I try not to exceed that. My resting HR is 56 which is great for a 41 yr old female!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Mine is about 145 if doing cardio for 30 mins or so, I consider this my easy pace. If I sprint or do a hard interval on my bike trainer then I go to 160-170. It feels like my heart wants to jump out of my chest. But my cardiovascular capacity is pretty limited at the time AKA I'm out of shape.
    Also important to know is the resting HR which when I was in shape was in the low 50's just waking up.
    Now while I'm driving it's like 70.
    Curious to know yours OP since you can go so high while working out

Your maximum HR is more a function of your age and not your level of fitness. Lactate threshold heart rate (which can be generalized as the HR you can sustain for about 1 hour) and resting heart rate are better indicators of overall fitness.

Thanks for the unsolicited answer to a non-existing question. In the name of the people who may not know better please don't share information like this just to show how much you know. I don't think I implied I believe my max HR is 170. And I'm definitely not wondering about a definition of fitness.
    I know you mean well but posts like yours confuse the heck out of newbies. It's great that you know that. I do too. But it really has little practical value when you're starting out. It really dont bother me much but I decided to post this in the name of those who are starting out and may be confused by throwing the LT term at them.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I am truly sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to "show how much I know." As you pointed out, I was only trying to help. The last line of your post made me think that you were implying that there is a correlation between your resting heart rate and your maximum heart rate, or that a higher heart rate is an indication of increased fitness. Sorry if I misinterpreted this, but I see this same thing come up over and over, so I decided to chime in. I did not intend to insult anyone or confuse anyone. I'll just keep quiet going forward.

No, No, NO! Don't keep quiet. Zones, resting, maximum, FTP, LT, age and formulas - all need to be discussed when heart rate comes up in discussion.

The entire thread began in nearly a nebulous fashion from the OP. He may as well have asked "My drives to work I average about 19 mpg for the 45 minute commute. If I drive faster and break the speed limit, I get about 17 mpg for the 35 minute commute version. What kind of mileage do you guys get?"

I mean seriously. It depends on a myriad of factors what our heart rate is - just as what our mileage is.

So the additional information and explanations people offer up actually help a newbie who may never have encountered an actual discussion about heart rate before (it's very hard for me to believe there are people on earth posting or reading an internet forum about exercise and heart rate who have not run into any information on heart rates before, but okay).

The HR question the OP asked - "What do you guys get?" - in reference to "easy cardio" vs. "intense cardio" is nebulous at best unless Zones are defined as to what is easy and what is intense. Whether one uses a 5 Zone tier or 6 Zone tier (or more or less) - nobody is even on the same page until the parameters are set.

And even then, the HR's reported are only applicable to the individual based on exactly what you brought up - Max, LT, etc.

So my suggestion to lporter229 is not to keep quiet!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Resting 52, walking around 3.5 mph 120, running...or at least my version on a precor...170s.

I'm 45.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 145 if doing cardio for 30 mins or so, I consider this my easy pace. If I sprint or do a hard interval on my bike trainer then I go to 160-170. It feels like my heart wants to jump out of my chest. But my cardiovascular capacity is pretty limited at the time AKA I'm out of shape.
    Also important to know is the resting HR which when I was in shape was in the low 50's just waking up.

Your maximum HR is more a function of your age and not your level of fitness. Lactate threshold heart rate (which can be generalized as the HR you can sustain for about 1 hour) and resting heart rate are better indicators of overall fitness.

Thanks for the unsolicited answer to a non-existing question. In the name of the people who may not know better please don't share information like this just to show how much you know. I don't think I implied I believe my max HR is 170. And I'm definitely not wondering about a definition of fitness.
    I know you mean well but posts like yours confuse the heck out of newbies. It's great that you know that. I do too. But it really has little practical value when you're starting out. It really dont bother me much but I decided to post this in the name of those who are starting out and may be confused by throwing the LT term at them.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I am truly sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent, nor was it my intent to "show how much I know." As you pointed out, I was only trying to help. The last line of your post made me think that you were implying that there is a correlation between your resting heart rate and your maximum heart rate, or that a higher heart rate is an indication of increased fitness. Sorry if I misinterpreted this, but I see this same thing come up over and over, so I decided to chime in. I did not intend to insult anyone or confuse anyone. I'll just keep quiet going forward.

Please don't stop posting due to that oversensitive reaction to your post. You made perfect sense and didn't come off sounding like a know-it-all or anything.

Pansamanchada, I wouldn't consider your HR while driving to be comparable to your RHR. You should measure RHR before you get out of bed, before coffee, before movement, without stimulation.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I don't think you insulted anybody. I do think you could confuse or rather overcomplicate the issue for someone who's starting out.
    The OP question was simple enough. This is a public forum you can say whatever you want. I felt the need to let those starting out know that if they want to get fit, it's not really that complicated. Worry about CICO, try to finish the C25K program and then worry about other stuff. There's a reason we don't teach 4th grade math in 2nd grade.
    No harm no foul. Just expressing different viewpoints. This is what the forums are all about
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pansamanchada, I wouldn't consider your HR while driving to be comparable to your RHR. You should measure RHR before you get out of bed, before coffee, before movement, without stimulation.
    I agree. That's why I said my HR while driving is ... lol
    When I was younger and fitter my resting heart rate was 46-48. And yes I has just woken up put on my HRM strap, turned it on and waited a minute while laying in bed before I looked, I gotta be super explicit with you guys lol

• djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    no need for arguing guys lol i was just curious at the HR others get while doing there light workout as well as when they work out hard and get winded/sweaty.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    no need for arguing guys lol i was just curious at the HR others get while doing there light workout as well as when they work out hard and get winded/sweaty.

Point taken. Not to complicate matters, but "light" workout and "work out hard" means differing things to different folks.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/power-training-levels
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio I am normally 155-165
    Resting is ~ 65
    M 43 6'1 225
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for sustained average HR is 180-age. Max is 220-age, You can move the first number with training but typically it is a hard workout if you can stay around the 180-age mark. I'm 47 so that would mean 133 for me, I tend to workout at an average of 140-145.

A fun test is to get on a bike, dreadmill, ellipical and go for 30 minutes after being warmed up and measure your average HR, you will find it will slowly go up as you get in better shape. Also look at your Cal/hour values and that too will increase. You will be able to get more power out of your body, and that's the point

Yeah i'm 53 and just started doing anything exercise related in Jan. At first I went 1 min on my elliptical and was at 145 and really huffing and puffing... my friends told me to go to the doctor LOL... I didn't. I looked it up and found my age weight calculator (sorry don't remember where) and it recommended I be at 130 - 135 with a max at 145 to 150 over that was danger. So i just kept going to the max every day and the time kept getting longer and longer. Now after only 4 weeks I went 20 min and never even hit 135 and I now have the resistance on high Level 10, I also increased to trying to do 20 min both morning and night but my schedule is crazy. I have a rowing type machine (old style) called a cardio glider which is a seat that usues your weight as resistance along with a cylinder and again when i first tried it i would only do 10 reps and be huffing... now I also do 20 min on it and that translates into about 550 reps on average. All this after only 6 weeks so I am quickly becoming a believer in all of this.
    Before jan I never gave a thought to food or exercise... I woke up 2 days after Christmas with a nightmare that i was dying of a heart attack. It got my attention because everyone was saying "I don't like the way your breathing brother" and I had simply walked 25 feet....

So far I've dropped 34 pounds and like I said not breathing hard unless i work hard. Heart rate has settled at about 127 to 134 every workout for the last week anyway.
    OP -Thanks for this post it is good and helped me.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Doc0862 wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb for sustained average HR is 180-age. Max is 220-age, You can move the first number with training but typically it is a hard workout if you can stay around the 180-age mark. I'm 47 so that would mean 133 for me, I tend to workout at an average of 140-145.

A fun test is to get on a bike, dreadmill, ellipical and go for 30 minutes after being warmed up and measure your average HR, you will find it will slowly go up as you get in better shape. Also look at your Cal/hour values and that too will increase. You will be able to get more power out of your body, and that's the point

Yeah i'm 53 and just started doing anything exercise related in Jan. At first I went 1 min on my elliptical and was at 145 and really huffing and puffing... my friends told me to go to the doctor LOL... I didn't. I looked it up and found my age weight calculator (sorry don't remember where) and it recommended I be at 130 - 135 with a max at 145 to 150 over that was danger. So i just kept going to the max every day and the time kept getting longer and longer. Now after only 4 weeks I went 20 min and never even hit 135 and I now have the resistance on high Level 10, I also increased to trying to do 20 min both morning and night but my schedule is crazy. I have a rowing type machine (old style) called a cardio glider which is a seat that usues your weight as resistance along with a cylinder and again when i first tried it i would only do 10 reps and be huffing... now I also do 20 min on it and that translates into about 550 reps on average. All this after only 6 weeks so I am quickly becoming a believer in all of this.
    Before jan I never gave a thought to food or exercise... I woke up 2 days after Christmas with a nightmare that i was dying of a heart attack. It got my attention because everyone was saying "I don't like the way your breathing brother" and I had simply walked 25 feet....

So far I've dropped 34 pounds and like I said not breathing hard unless i work hard. Heart rate has settled at about 127 to 134 every workout for the last week anyway.
    OP -Thanks for this post it is good and helped me.

All the best on your continued weight loss Doc0862 and getting into the kind of shape you should be in at age 53 for longevity. You will be amazed once you get sub 200 pounds and continue your quest at taking control of your health. Hopefully all of this can reverse the unfortunate health issues you have driven yourself into...