What dumbell weight would be best to invest in?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I'm a fairly weak person, but I want to work on my strength a bit. I'm doing some squats and lunges for my leg strength, but I'm still too weak to really do push ups. I made a weight for myself with a bunch of change in an old hot chocolate cylinder and I think it's probably somewhere around 8-10lbs. I just do some basic exercises with it, bicep curls, and a few others I'm not really sure what they were called but we did them in a cardio & weights class I took a few years ago. (Lifting back from my arm being down towards the floor, pushing up towards the ceiling, and letting go backwards from the elbow from my arm up towards the ceiling - if that makes any sense).

I'm thinking of getting a heavier dumbell, though this one gets challenging after about fifteen or so repetitions (depending on the exercise and the arm) I also have to hold it a funny way so I don't tilt it the wrong way and the lid doesn't come off. It's also kind of slippery, which I think keeps me from doing as much as I could.

How much heavier do you think I should go? I was thinking 15lbs might be a good step up, but I don't want to clutter up my room with heavy things I could trip on. So then I thought maybe 20lbs would be a good challenge, but I also don't want to get something too heavy that I won't use. Also would you suggest getting a pair at the same weight or just continuing to use one arm at a time?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like the PowerBock adjustable dumbbells. I have the 5 to 50 pound set, adjustable by 2.5 pounds (upgradable to 90 pounds). They also have a 3 to 24 pound set. They are easily adjustable, replace a wide range of dumbbells and take the room required for one set. You don't need to decide which to get or replace those you have as you improve.

Just a thought. Good shopping.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Really like my PowerBlocks . . . they are at least 15 years old and still going strong. I've also heard good things about Ironmasters. Other companies make adjustable DB's, but I think you tend to get what you pay for on these items. You'll save a ton long term with adjustables vs buying individual DB's and the storage becomes a big issue at some point.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I also have Powerblocks, and have had them for decades. They last very well and are worth the money. Locking yourself into one weight is not a long term investment. Get adjustable dumbbells.

As to doing pushups, have you tried them against the wall or stairs. Changing the angle changes the lever point allowing you to adjust how difficult they are.

Another option is a suspension trainer of some sort (TRX, Jungle Gym XT) which also allow you to adjust the difficulty and are quite portable.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you can afford them, adjustable is the way to go!

If not, go to the store and try a few out. Buy one you can do at least 5 reps with, but not more than 15
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    5 - 25 lbs should keep you busy for a while!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Get a pair of 12 pounders to start. Or If you are going to work one side at a time, grab a 12 lb and a 15 lb.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wanted to keep it fairly cheap so that I could start with weights right away. I got two dumbell handles and locks (at Walmart) of all places and some weight plates in 2.5lbs and 5lbs. It's enough for me right now and I can expand with more plates as needed and even a barbell. I'm just beginning and when I lift 5-10lbs I'm sore for two days.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    I wanted to keep it fairly cheap so that I could start with weights right away. I got two dumbell handles and locks (at Walmart) of all places and some weight plates in 2.5lbs and 5lbs. It's enough for me right now and I can expand with more plates as needed and even a barbell. I'm just beginning and when I lift 5-10lbs I'm sore for two days.

I started with these, too. I found a second-hand 40lb set (20lb each) on craigslist. The generic 1" adjustable handle dumbbells aren't quick to change weight, like the Powerblocks are, but are much cheaper, and getting more 1" plates for them is cheap and easily available. When I progressed further, it was easy to find another 40lb set and combine them.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You're not weak, just untrained :)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have Powerblocks too. It’s the 5 to 70 lb, upgradeable to 130? lbs, rubber coated. I love them. But they’re not cheap.

OP, there is no one weight that will do everything for you. Your larger muscles can handle more weight than smaller muscles, you can lift more in compound lifts than isolation lifts, and the main idea behind weightlifting is to gradually increase the weights over time as you get stronger.

You can find relatively cheap adjustable dumbbells at Walmart, sports stores, or online. Another option is to join a health club. A lot of them are charging just $10 a month, and they give you access to a lot of equipment.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Oh weird, ok I replied to a bunch of you on mobile and none of it went through. Oops! Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions!

I looked up the power block dumbbells and yeah those look pretty fantastic. Unfortunately I don't see anywhere around me that sells the 5-50lb ones you mentioned (and if I did get ahold of them, I wouldn't be able to carry them home lol). I only see the "sport" ones that are 3-24lbs at Canadian Tire and Walmart. They're $90 each, so if you think that would be worthwhile I could wait and save up for them. I noticed that they don't have upgrades like the other ones you mentioned, though.

There is also a second hand sports store a few km away from me, so I might see if they have the "generic" kind you mentioned finding at Walmart for something cheaper, easier to start with/carry home.
    mkakids wrote: »

If not, go to the store and try a few out. Buy one you can do at least 5 reps with, but not more than 15

This confuses me a bit. Should I be physically unable to do 15 repetitions, or should it just get difficult around then? Because if that's the case I'm not sure the 3-24lb power block ones would be worthwhile.

I also have Powerblocks, and have had them for decades. They last very well and are worth the money. Locking yourself into one weight is not a long term investment. Get adjustable dumbbells.

As to doing pushups, have you tried them against the wall or stairs. Changing the angle changes the lever point allowing you to adjust how difficult they are.

Another option is a suspension trainer of some sort (TRX, Jungle Gym XT) which also allow you to adjust the difficulty and are quite portable.

I can do them against the wall, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing much idk maybe I'm not doing it right. I can do bent-knee push ups but they hurt my knees. A suspension trainer sounds big/complicated, and I really don't have much room. But thank you!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Get an Olympic barbell/weight set and a Landmine sleeve. You can get a full body workout with Landmine work and progressively add weights to help build strength.

Then you may want to add a bench and cage and do accessory work with the sleeve.
  • kiela64
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Get an Olympic barbell/weight set and a Landmine sleeve. You can get a full body workout with Landmine work and progressively add weights to help build strength.

Then you may want to add a bench and cage and do accessory work with the sleeve.

Thank you for your input, I don't have the space for those things but I will keep them in mind for the future.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Oh weird, ok I replied to a bunch of you on mobile and none of it went through. Oops! Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions!

I looked up the power block dumbbells and yeah those look pretty fantastic. Unfortunately I don't see anywhere around me that sells the 5-50lb ones you mentioned (and if I did get ahold of them, I wouldn't be able to carry them home lol). I only see the "sport" ones that are 3-24lbs at Canadian Tire and Walmart. They're $90 each, so if you think that would be worthwhile I could wait and save up for them. I noticed that they don't have upgrades like the other ones you mentioned, though.

There is also a second hand sports store a few km away from me, so I might see if they have the "generic" kind you mentioned finding at Walmart for something cheaper, easier to start with/carry home.

This confuses me a bit. Should I be physically unable to do 15 repetitions, or should it just get difficult around then? Because if that's the case I'm not sure the 3-24lb power block ones would be worthwhile.

I can do them against the wall, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing much idk maybe I'm not doing it right. I can do bent-knee push ups but they hurt my knees. A suspension trainer sounds big/complicated, and I really don't have much room. But thank you!

I think that may be why rileysowner suggested doing the push ups on the stairs - changing the angle of your body changes the workload. If you can't change your body angle against the wall to make it feel like work, or the stairs don't work because of your body configuration/size, try using the edge of a fixed counter top (like kitchen counter) and see if that feels more like work than the wall. Move your feet closer to or further from the counter to change the workload.
  • kiela64
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think that may be why rileysowner suggested doing the push ups on the stairs - changing the angle of your body changes the workload. If you can't change your body angle against the wall to make it feel like work, or the stairs don't work because of your body configuration/size, try using the edge of a fixed counter top (like kitchen counter) and see if that feels more like work than the wall. Move your feet closer to or further from the counter to change the workload.

Ohhh thanks! I wasn't quite imagining that right, I thought like standing on the stairs and doing a push up against the wall....that wasn't the point haha.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ohhh thanks! I wasn't quite imagining that right, I thought like standing on the stairs and doing a push up against the wall....that wasn't the point haha.

No that wasn't the idea. It was using the stairs as the thing you pushup off of.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap about my fitness gear. I don't know if you have a used fitness gear store near you like Play It Again Sports, but it's usually pretty easy to find bars and plate weights used and inexpensively, as well as the blocks, because many serious lifters outgrow their sets and upgrade.
  • kiela64
    Options
    I'm cheap about my fitness gear. I don't know if you have a used fitness gear store near you like Play It Again Sports, but it's usually pretty easy to find bars and plate weights used and inexpensively, as well as the blocks, because many serious lifters outgrow their sets and upgrade.

I do! I need to get there soon for sure. Maybe this week! *fingers crossed* :)