Give it to me straight!!

Options
For weight loss, running my guts off, or heavy lifting. Honestly, I know a combination of both is great and I will always lift. However, from your knowledge and experiences, does moderate-intense cardio just do a better job in terms of weight loss?

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, eat less than you burn.
    For health, exercise. Both are great.

Honestly, I do cardio so I CAN eat more and lose weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Cardio in general is going to burn more calories than weight lifting because you are raising your heart rate and keeping it there for an extended period of time. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you eat), so from a strictly weight loss point of view, cardio is going to be more effective, but in reality, the diet side of the equation is much more important.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For my body, running (literally running) really makes the weight come off for me. I know the science is all dependent on calories you take in versus calories you spend--but this is the case for me.

Heavy lifting does not burn as many calories as intense cardio, typically. HOWEVER you get more muscle from lifting/lose less muscle as you diet with resistance training, so even if you lose slower your weight loss will reveal a very fit body.

For your heart and lungs health--some cardio will be great. If you want a bang for your buck calorie wise, cardio might be it.

Muscle wise--heavy lifting always wins.

The best exercise for weight loss is whatever you can stick to and are comfortable with.
    (wow, this was possibly the opposite of giving it to you straight.)
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rgbmore wrote: »
    For my body, running (literally running) really makes the weight come off for me. I know the science is all dependent on calories you take in versus calories you spend--but this is the case for me.

Heavy lifting does not burn as many calories as intense cardio, typically. HOWEVER you get more muscle from lifting/lose less muscle as you diet with resistance training, so even if you lose slower your weight loss will reveal a very fit body.

For your heart and lungs health--some cardio will be great. If you want a bang for your buck calorie wise, cardio might be it.

The best exercise for weight loss is whatever you can stick to and are comfortable with.

This was great! I know I have a very toned body under this extra weight, I'm very strong! I just can't seem to get the fat to melt away with about 80% lifting and 20% cardio. So both comments above helped me out! Guess I'll start doing more cardio and running! Thanks :)
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Weightloss is what you eat. The exercise just helps. Muscle retention = lift weights. Larger calorie burn & cardio health = cardio.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss. Consider it a means of reaching fitness goals (more muscle, stronger, faster, endurance...).

For fat loss, set your calorie goal to an appropriate deficit (which will consider the calories burned through whatever exercise you do).
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss. Consider a means of reaching fitness goals (more muscle, stronger, faster, endurance...).

For fat loss, set your calorie goal to an appropriate deficit (which will consider the calories burned through whatever exercise you do).

This is super solid advice
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do the exercises you enjoy and feel comfortable with, but weight loss ultimately comes down to CICO
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss. Consider it a means of reaching fitness goals (more muscle, stronger, faster, endurance...).

Totally agree. I've been running for a year and have gained weight and lost weight in that time. The kitchen is for weight loss and exercise is for fitness.

I also like keeping them separate because there are so many benefits outside of weight that I get from running - if I only thought of running as a way to lose weight, I would have stopped months ago.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This was great! I know I have a very toned body under this extra weight, I'm very strong! I just can't seem to get the fat to melt away with about 80% lifting and 20% cardio. So both comments above helped me out! Guess I'll start doing more cardio and running! Thanks :)

Not necessary. You can either do more cardio, or eat a little less (6 of one, half a dozen of the other)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do the exercises you enjoy and feel comfortable with, but weight loss ultimately comes down to CICO

I would modify this slightly by saying: Do the exercises that you can tolerate doing. Personally, I don't usually "enjoy" exercise at all, and I suspect I'm far from alone in that feeling. Never the less, exercise is vital for good health so I do it, however I don't go in expecting to have a good time.

There's a certain cultural vibe that suggests that if you don't enjoy something, why do it? If that was everyone's credo, no one would ever take out the garbage or clean the bathroom. Some things have to be done simply because it's our adult responsibility to do them. I put exercise in the same category as brushing my teeth, cleaning my house, and washing the dishes. Don't hold out from exercising because you haven't found one that's fun yet. You may never find one. Exercise because you know it's good for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen and gain fitness at the gym....
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running and it's only a bonus that I get to eat more because of it. I'm fairly new to weight lifting (almost a year) and I wish I would have started lifting heavy a decade ago.
    If I find myself with limited time to work out during the week, I always ALWAYS lift heavy with that time.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What I tend to do is eat at or very close to my calorie goal on lifting days. On cardio days I will eat about 100-200 calories extra so that I can eat a bit more. Both ways I am still at a deficit and continue to lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Since you are lifting and cardioing and not happy with your weight loss results, the place to turn your attention to is the kitchen.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss.

Yes, yes. I cringe every time people say something like, "Gotta hit the gym, gotta burn some calories, work off these donuts, hurr."
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since you are lifting and cardioing and not happy with your weight loss results, the place to turn your attention to is the kitchen.
    You're right, hence why I decided to download this app :) it's tough, but diet is the most important!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss.

Yes, yes. I cringe every time people say something like, "Gotta hit the gym, gotta burn some calories, work off these donuts, hurr."

Especially since a solid workout will usually burn no more calories than you'd get from about one donut.
    Ain't no 30 minutes on the elliptical gonna burn off 3-4 donuts.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Not necessary. You can either do more cardio, or eat a little less (6 of one, half a dozen of the other)

Or a combination of the 2 options. eating less and more cardio are not mutually elusive.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I lost 70# without doing any exercise at all. Calorie controlling only.