Give it to me straight!!

Options
2»

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can give it to you gay, not straight...but I agree with the other posters that all are great for your health. You will look better (more muscle def) if you keep lifting heavy and eat at a slight deficit. You can do it!
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. But kitchen weight loss does not provide the additional health benefits associated with activity. So start in the kitchen, but continue to physical activity.

Here is the problem with cardio, it only works to the degree you're out of shape. The more accustomed to cardio you become, the more efficient your body is at keeping yourself from burning weight off. Then you are stuck with a metabolism which requires you keep up the cardio, no longer for weight loss, but simply to maintain where you are. This is why HIIT is so important for weight loss. It is variable cardio that prevents your body from adapting.

Weight lifting is also good for weight loss since an increase in muscle creates more energy consuming body mass.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a long way from being strong enough to worry too much about getting accustomed to cardio, but I have been reading and thinking about it for the future. It strikes me that keeping my heart-rate at a suitably high level automatically takes care of the problem. To begin with, any movement at all was enough to get my heart rate up. Now I have to go faster or at a steeper incline on the treadmill. When I'm lighter, I expect to be able to run on the treadmill without courting joint injuries. No matter what I'm doing, though, I shoot for a certain percentage of my maximum heart rate and increase my effort as necessary to get up there.

However, I keep reading about the benefits of resistance training and am trying to psych myself up for it. For some reason I find it incredibly unappealing. I'm a little puzzled by it.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    CARDIO works for me.. Yes you should incorporate both.. however, when I go to the gym I literally run as much as I can for an hour or more. I do it first before I even lift weights.. yes I'm a sweaty mess, but If I don't do it right away I never will. I lost so many inches from cardio training.. then the weights help me tone. 80/20 rule 80% eat right 20% exercise
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's the take on this question that has been working for me...I lift 3X per week and take an HIIT class 2X per week.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    JayDam1 wrote: »
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. But kitchen weight loss does not provide the additional health benefits associated with activity. So start in the kitchen, but continue to physical activity.

Here is the problem with cardio, it only works to the degree you're out of shape. The more accustomed to cardio you become, the more efficient your body is at keeping yourself from burning weight off. Then you are stuck with a metabolism which requires you keep up the cardio, no longer for weight loss, but simply to maintain where you are. This is why HIIT is so important for weight loss. It is variable cardio that prevents your body from adapting.

Weight lifting is also good for weight loss since an increase in muscle creates more energy consuming body mass.
    Can you explain what HIIT training is please?
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can you explain what HIIT training is please?

@taylorjgarner

HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training. In a nutshell, it is simply intervals of intense cardio work (anaerobic) mixed in with intervals of lower intensity "rest" that keeps your body from adapting and conserving calories.

An example would be on the elliptical machine:

30 seconds as fast as you can go, maybe add extra resistance, but not so much resistance it causes you to lose a lot of speed.

45 seconds at a moderate pace with lower resistance.

Repeat for 20-30 minutes.

That is a super simple cycle you can do. You can change it up and do 2 min fast, 1 min moderate, 45 sec fast, 1.5 min moderate. You can also do it on a treadmill, exercise bike, or with other exercises.

There is no set pattern. The goal is just bursts of high activity followed by times of moderate recovery.

Search YouTube for "HIIT" and you will find all kinds of routines you can do at home as well.
  • Margomb45
    Margomb45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    JayDam1 wrote: »

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Don't consider exercise as a tool for fat loss.

Yes, yes. I cringe every time people say something like, "Gotta hit the gym, gotta burn some calories, work off these donuts, hurr."

While I understand the sentiment here, for me that extra 200-300 calories is the only thing that allows me to maintain a consistent deficit. My calorie goal is 1,300 for a half pound/week weight loss and I wouldn't be able to maintain that for long without exercising for a bit extra. So, I get what you're saying about the deficit but exercise is absolutely a tool for weight loss. At least it is for me.
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, running my guts off, or heavy lifting. Honestly, I know a combination of both is great and I will always lift. However, from your knowledge and experiences, does moderate-intense cardio just do a better job in terms of weight loss?

One can lose weight just eating at a caloric deficit with no exercise. Exercising speeds up the process and can build muscle if you incoorporate weight training. HIT in between sets will boost results and on days of no resistance training try sprints as it can burn up to 200 calories for just 2.5 minutes of sprinting. That's more than most cardio exercises offer in a half hour.

Never go below your BMR or else you will lose lean muscle mass. Never eat at a caloric deficit more than 1000 calories per day. Try to average between 500-750. You should attempt to lose 1% of body weight per week. Remember weight fluctuates daily so the most accurate way to gauge your results is average out your weekly weight. I find the scales that measure body fat% bone density and muscle mass much more accurate than just weight as you can see that you're losing fat% and gaining muscle if done properly. Weight will fly off initially and then slow down the closer you get to the weight/ body fat % you should be at. This doesn't mean over exercise or eat nothing it just means you're almost to your basic goals. Add other fitness goals to maintain motivation like sprint times or weight lifting goals as well.