Do you eat peanut shells?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When eating peanuts served in the shell, do you shell them and only eat the nut, or do you eat the shell?

I thought that was a health risk due to aflatoxin?

Why did you think that?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Did some searching and most info I could find was in forums that were blocked here (I'm at work). I did find this but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2002/may/02/peanut-shells----new-snack-time-treat-brief-treati/#
    Even after all these years, the staff here at Amalgamated Alice LLC is amazed at the crazy antics and just plain damnfool nonsense that makes up your everyday lives. In the case of Mr. Nuts, I think we can label shell eating a crazy antic. Mrs. Nuts's predictions of gastric disaster are probably overstated, but we can sympathize with her point of view. The shell of a peanut is primarily cellulose. To put that in perspective, so are hay, leaves, twigs, lumber, cardboard, tree bark, sponges, the little see-through windows in recyclable envelopes... Cellulose is a great source of food energy, but that energy is very hard to release. Unlike elephants, cows, goats, termites, silverfish, rodents, and other plant eaters, we don't have enough stomachs or the proper digestive microbes to handle it. So, Mr. Nuts, no matter how thoroughly you chew those tasty shells, they won't be much changed by the time they've sailed down your alimentary canal and out the other end. I'm sure you've noticed you're amazingly regular lately. Peanut shells would be fiber with a capital F.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    That just sounds awful. Reminds me of the kiwi's we just bought. The package said you can even eat the peel. :o

The fuzzy peal? I thought most people ate that. I'm not a big kiwi fan but I usually eat it with the peel.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There's fiber in them but you also run the risk of blocking up your intestines.

Oh? Why/how?

The shells can accumulate in the intestinal track. I'm assuming that's if you eat a lot of them though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did some searching and most info I could find was in forums that were blocked here (I'm at work). I did find this but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2002/may/02/peanut-shells----new-snack-time-treat-brief-treati/#
    Even after all these years, the staff here at Amalgamated Alice LLC is amazed at the crazy antics and just plain damnfool nonsense that makes up your everyday lives. In the case of Mr. Nuts, I think we can label shell eating a crazy antic. Mrs. Nuts's predictions of gastric disaster are probably overstated, but we can sympathize with her point of view. The shell of a peanut is primarily cellulose. To put that in perspective, so are hay, leaves, twigs, lumber, cardboard, tree bark, sponges, the little see-through windows in recyclable envelopes... Cellulose is a great source of food energy, but that energy is very hard to release. Unlike elephants, cows, goats, termites, silverfish, rodents, and other plant eaters, we don't have enough stomachs or the proper digestive microbes to handle it. So, Mr. Nuts, no matter how thoroughly you chew those tasty shells, they won't be much changed by the time they've sailed down your alimentary canal and out the other end. I'm sure you've noticed you're amazingly regular lately. Peanut shells would be fiber with a capital F.

I love this... need the like button..

My husband loves peanuts boiled (yuck) and I have seen him eat the outer shell, although it may be not on purpose, but in the case boiled it would make no difference..

I am a roasted, dry roasted person.. and not to mention honey roasted...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When eating peanuts served in the shell, do you shell them and only eat the nut, or do you eat the shell?

I thought that was a health risk due to aflatoxin?

Why did you think that?

My son was diagnosed with many nut allergies when he was 2. Peanut being the worst for him. We did a lot of reading up on nuts and I'm sure I remember reading about aflatoxin moulds on the shells and even in the roots from the soil.
    Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I'll have to have a google.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    That just sounds awful. Reminds me of the kiwi's we just bought. The package said you can even eat the peel. :o

The fuzzy peal? I thought most people ate that. I'm not a big kiwi fan but I usually eat it with the peel.

I have never eaten the shell of peanuts, just sounds yuck and annoying to eat. As for the kiwi, yes people do chuck the whole fruit in blenders and make a smoothie.. I wonder how much extra fibre and vitamins is in the peel?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options

yes! The fuzzy brown peel. I didn't know people ate it. We usually cut it in half and scoop the fruit out. The peel just seems so...idk...too fuzzy to eat. lol :smile:
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I have never eaten the shell of peanuts, just sounds yuck and annoying to eat. As for the kiwi, yes people do chuck the whole fruit in blenders and make a smoothie.. I wonder how much extra fibre and vitamins is in the peel?

yes, I could see doing this. I imagine there is a lot of vitamins in the peel. At least it would be a smoother texture once you put it in a blender with some other liquids.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    A guy I work with eats the shell on sunflower seeds but that's as close as I've seen. I always suck on the shell to get all the delicious salt but then shell it and eat the nuts only.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had some deep-fried Cajun-seasoned peanuts in North Carolina once. They were deep-fried in the shell, and the shell became crispy and edible. Oh and delicious. I wouldn't recommend eating a pound of them but a few handfuls... they were awesome.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    There's a place here that sells fried peanuts, still in the shell and you eat the whole thing. I've heard they're delicious and have been meaning to try them. Other than that, I've never heard of eating the shell.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    A guy I work with eats the shell on sunflower seeds but that's as close as I've seen. I always suck on the shell to get all the delicious salt but then shell it and eat the nuts only.

:o In my search for whether peanut shells were safe/nutritious several sites said sunflower seed shells were dangerous because they have sharp edges that could perforate the intestine (unlike peanut shells apparently).
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

yes! The fuzzy brown peel. I didn't know people ate it. We usually cut it in half and scoop the fruit out. The peel just seems so...idk...too fuzzy to eat. lol :smile:

I just found out the other day that you can eat the peel. I never have but since it's such a PITA to peel them I might just eat it instead.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/docs.htm?docid=2999&page=7

Some info on the USDA site.

I didn't know it was used as a fuel!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I just found out the other day that you can eat the peel. I never have but since it's such a PITA to peel them I might just eat it instead.

Whenever I've seen kiwi on a fruit tray it's always been sliced with the peel on. That's about the only time I eat it since it's not a favorite of mine and is pretty expensive here.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your friends are weird. I'll suck the salt off the shell but I'm not eating it.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    My husband eats the shells from time to time. I think he's psycho. Who does that?

Oh, I guess that was the point of your thread. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a place here that sells fried peanuts, still in the shell and you eat the whole thing. I've heard they're delicious and have been meaning to try them. Other than that, I've never heard of eating the shell.

Now that I would definitely try!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Even my old Basset Hound used to spit the shells! You'd give him a whole one and he'd work on it for a couple minutes, spit the shell and the skin then come back for another.