Do you eat peanut shells?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Even my old Basset Hound used to spit the shells! You'd give him a whole one and he'd work on it for a couple minutes, spit the shell and the skin then come back for another.

Naaw cute :heart:
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nuts, not shell.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    That just sounds awful. Reminds me of the kiwi's we just bought. The package said you can even eat the peel. :o

The fuzzy peal? I thought most people ate that. I'm not a big kiwi fan but I usually eat it with the peel.

I have never eaten the shell of peanuts, just sounds yuck and annoying to eat. As for the kiwi, yes people do chuck the whole fruit in blenders and make a smoothie.. I wonder how much extra fibre and vitamins is in the peel?

yes, I could see doing this. I imagine there is a lot of vitamins in the peel. At least it would be a smoother texture once you put it in a blender with some other liquids.

My ex husband is slightly allergic to the flesh of the kiwi, but seems to react a lot more to the peel...interesting idea, that...blending it up...

JK!!!
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Did some searching and most info I could find was in forums that were blocked here (I'm at work). I did find this but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2002/may/02/peanut-shells----new-snack-time-treat-brief-treati/#
    Even after all these years, the staff here at Amalgamated Alice LLC is amazed at the crazy antics and just plain damnfool nonsense that makes up your everyday lives. In the case of Mr. Nuts, I think we can label shell eating a crazy antic. Mrs. Nuts's predictions of gastric disaster are probably overstated, but we can sympathize with her point of view. The shell of a peanut is primarily cellulose. To put that in perspective, so are hay, leaves, twigs, lumber, cardboard, tree bark, sponges, the little see-through windows in recyclable envelopes... Cellulose is a great source of food energy, but that energy is very hard to release. Unlike elephants, cows, goats, termites, silverfish, rodents, and other plant eaters, we don't have enough stomachs or the proper digestive microbes to handle it. So, Mr. Nuts, no matter how thoroughly you chew those tasty shells, they won't be much changed by the time they've sailed down your alimentary canal and out the other end. I'm sure you've noticed you're amazingly regular lately. Peanut shells would be fiber with a capital F.

Oh man, you quoted Matthew Alice, the best column in the world. He (actually a she) writes it in a funny style but the facts are always true.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    think it all depends on what kind of nuts. i've been using various sorts for grilling/smoking to flavour the meat....but for actual eating no...can't think of any benefits. and it just sounds weird. but hey, whatever rocks your boat.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

After a few beers I did give it a try. It was surprisingly not bad. Crunchy and very salty, but easily chewed.

Many a bad decision started with the bolded words above....be glad it was only eating peanut shells.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could eat the shell. Do you mean the papery brown covering between the shell and nut, or the actual outer shell?

I mean the shell that holds the (usually) 2 nuts. Like if you went to a steakhouse that provides buckets of shelled peanuts you'd just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

I did just yesterday with some friends and they were both eating the whole thing. Despite the obvious germs that are probably on these in a steakhouse setting, I'd never seen anyone do it. Just wondering if my friends are psychos (as suggested above) or this is something many people do.

After a few beers I did give it a try. It was surprisingly not bad. Crunchy and very salty, but easily chewed.

I tried chewing the shells when I was young but didn't end up actually swallowing the shell. I liked the salt.
    Are they familiar with peanuts in the shell and that most people do not eat the shell? Could be they do not know and think you are supposed to eat the whole thing while secretly thinking it is terrible.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Many a bad decision started with the bolded words above....be glad it was only eating peanut shells.

"Beer. Because no great story ever started with a salad."
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

"Beer. Because no great story ever started with a salad."

27848338.jpg
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I tried them once, I don't know why, just because I could. Way too salty and fibrous for my taste.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That just sounds awful. Reminds me of the kiwi's we just bought. The package said you can even eat the peel. :o

The fuzzy peal? I thought most people ate that. I'm not a big kiwi fan but I usually eat it with the peel.

yes! The fuzzy brown peel. I didn't know people ate it. We usually cut it in half and scoop the fruit out. The peel just seems so...idk...too fuzzy to eat. lol :smile:

I just found out the other day that you can eat the peel. I never have but since it's such a PITA to peel them I might just eat it instead.

Whenever I've seen kiwi on a fruit tray it's always been sliced with the peel on. That's about the only time I eat it since it's not a favorite of mine and is pretty expensive here.

You eat kiwi skin ?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I chew on edamame pods. I wish I could eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Never heard of eating the peanut shell, but I always eat the kiwi peel. I thought everyone did and am too lazy to peel things if I don't have to.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Can You Eat Kiwi Skin?

When eating kiwifruit, traditionally the kiwi is cut in half and the tangy fruit inside is scooped out from the skin. However, the skin of a kiwi is completely edible. “The skin is loaded with even more fiber and vitamin C than the fruit inside,” says Marek. “Some studies show that the skin has triple the fiber as compared to the meat of the fruit.”Eating the skin makes consuming kiwi less messy because it holds the flesh together as you snack on the fruit. However, you should wash a kiwi before consuming it with the skin on, just like you would wash an apple or peach.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/441376-can-you-eat-the-skin-of-a-kiwi-fruit/

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    Another food that does not need to be peeled is ginger root. You're welcome.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I must be a psycho.
    I've eaten the shell plenty of times. Only when I was at a baseball game with some friends once and my friend could not believe I was eating the shell, that I realized it was weird... I think I saw my mom do it when I was real little and that's why I thought it was normal.

Now people who eat kiwi peel are the real freaks.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oh! Another thing I eat is pumpkin seeds in the shell. Please don't tell me I'm the only one!
    Actually I don't care if I'm the only one, they're freaking delicious!
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I didn't know pumpkin seeds had a shell, so I guess I do that too.
  • leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Peanut shells? Meh...
    But walnut shells are nice and crunchy. And if you like to chew on something tough that has an interesting kick, I recommend pineapple peel. I'll really eat just about any kind of peel or shell, even clam shells, but there's one kind of peel that I think people are insane to eat. Grape peels. How disgusting! And furthermore, those lunatics are putting people out of a job.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    leosmith66 wrote: »
    Peanut shells? Meh...
    But walnut shells are nice and crunchy. And if you like to chew on something tough that has an interesting kick, I recommend pineapple peel. I'll really eat just about any kind of peel or shell, even clam shells, but there's one kind of peel that I think people are insane to eat. Grape peels. How disgusting! And furthermore, those lunatics are putting people out of a job.

I don't know if this is serious or not...