Snacking, I just can't help myself!

abijones75
abijones75 Posts: 116 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm hell bent on ruining all of my progress it seems :( I've been so good at sticking to my cal limit and exercising loads, I got down to 132 ibs a couple of days ago and ever since Ive been starving hungry and I keep snacking, especially in the evening. It's like I'm trying to stop myself from succeeding, so annoyed with myself. Can someone please lend me some willpower?

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Is it close to tom
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    What's your calorie limit?
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    How tall are you that you need to get lower than 132lbs? I tend to think your body is more often right than wrong. Perhaps you're not getting enough protein or fat or carbs, or you really just haven't eaten enough. Low blood sugar can make you snacky too, and a handful of nuts usually does the trick. Maybe it's time to start thinking about gradually going up towards your maintenance level?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    How tall are you? Is your diary accurate? Is so, why do you eat so little? Don't you think you are eating too little? Could the daily intake of under 1200 calories on average for one and a half year, have something to do with why you're hungry?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    All of the above:
    are you eating enough for your height, weight, and age?
    is it almost your ToM?
    What IS your height?

and
    can you not have those snacks in the home? (I know folks live in differing circumstances.)
  • abijones75
    edited February 2016
    I'm 5'5, I've been dieting for a just over a month. I started at 140 ibs, my goal that I have set myself is 126 ibs (9 stone) as that is the weight I feel most comfortable at...1200 is the limit MFP has set. I could maintain at this weight but I would rather carry on until I meet my goal. I'm eating a vegetarian diet so do struggle a little with protein but on the whole I think it's pretty balanced. I do eat some of my exercise cals too, but lately have been drawn to bad snacks rather than good. I have small children so can't eradicate snacks from the house. I just wondered if anyone else has found their willpower flagging as they get towards their goal. Someone mentioned nuts and that's one of the things I love and keep eating but they are very high in cals and very moreish!
  • abijones75
    Oh I forgot to mention I have a cheat day every Friday or Saturday
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    abijones75 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5, I've been dieting for a just over a month. I started at 140 ibs, my goal that I have set myself is 126 ibs (9 stone) as that is the weight I feel most comfortable at...1200 is the limit MFP has set. I could maintain at this weight but I would rather carry on until I meet my goal. I'm eating a vegetarian diet so do struggle a little with protein but on the whole I think it's pretty balanced. I do eat some of my exercise cals too, but lately have been drawn to bad snacks rather than good. I have small children so can't eradicate snacks from the house. I just wondered if anyone else has found their willpower flagging as they get towards their goal. Someone mentioned nuts and that's one of the things I love and keep eating but they are very high in cals and very moreish!
    Hi I know exactly how you feel im going through that very same thing now, just 1lbs off my target weight do great during the day but come evening time totally go off the rails as I did again last night then the guilt self loathing set in then I take thing to get rid of, and the whole viscous cycle starts again. I'm 50 years old 111 lbs 5' 1/2" tall eat 1350 cals per day.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Mind over matter...but 1200 cals is tough...can you increase your exercise and your intake to give you more room to include foods you are craving/
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    It's going to be slooow with so little to lose. I'm 165cm (5"5) and currently 57kg (125lbs), my goal is 55kg (121lbs), and it's very slow going. It's hard to resist eating when the kids eat. Just serving out some yoghurt to my youngest and it's like 'a spoon for you, a spoon for me...' I feel hungry quite a bit.
    I run. I run a lot so I can eat more. I have one 'cheat meal' a week and I run so I can have it guilt free.
    It's still slow going and I don't expect anything less. I factor snacks into my diary. I try to stay busy through the day (with two toddlers that's not hard) so I have plenty of calories left over for the snacking hours of the evening...
  • abijones75
    katem999 wrote: »
    It's going to be slooow with so little to lose. I'm 165cm (5"5) and currently 57kg (125lbs), my goal is 55kg (121lbs), and it's very slow going. It's hard to resist eating when the kids eat. Just serving out some yoghurt to my youngest and it's like 'a spoon for you, a spoon for me...' I feel hungry quite a bit.
    I run. I run a lot so I can eat more. I have one 'cheat meal' a week and I run so I can have it guilt free.
    It's still slow going and I don't expect anything less. I factor snacks into my diary. I try to stay busy through the day (with two toddlers that's not hard) so I have plenty of calories left over for the snacking hours of the evening...
    Wow you're tiny, well done! I exercise 5 out of 7 days, cardio and strength. I try not to eat my exercise cals but my snacks definitely eat into that...my 1200 cals is made up of good stuff :)

• abijones75
    george7527 wrote: »
    Hi I know exactly how you feel im going through that very same thing now, just 1lbs off my target weight do great during the day but come evening time totally go off the rails as I did again last night then the guilt self loathing set in then I take thing to get rid of, and the whole viscous cycle starts again. I'm 50 years old 111 lbs 5' 1/2" tall eat 1350 cals per day.

1ib off your target, that's amazing well done!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    I've been the same way.. did great for a month. Now I just want chocolate and cookies etc. I was fine without any snacks and for some reason.. I feel like I will die if I don't eat a brownie. Last night I was under my calorie goal was actually in bed reading and I couldn't help myself I got up and had girl scout cookies.. I'm so mad this morning. I'm going to move on.. and forget about it. I've decided that my goal photo will now be plastered all over the house. SO I will look at it and say no to all the snacks.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I can only add that I read an article that said the calorie content of nuts were overestimated by about 50%. I'm into weighing the high calorie food portions, so I count all nut portions at 50% higher (e.g., one portion of nuts is 1.5oz, 42g). It seems to work in that I am still losing weight.

Cheese is a great snack, but you really need to track the portion, and a single portion of cheese, while satisfying, is very small!

Pure dark chocolate is a good treat. A 100kcal portion is very satisfying, particularly pared with nuts. Portion control has to be strictly followed for the chocolate.

Low or non-fat snacks are a short-term appetite fix. This includes fruit, sweets, and low-fat snacks. Not worth it since usually you are hungry again soon.

My go-to hunger abatement solution is herbal tea. Lately, I have been drinking a lot of herb tea with fennel and aniseed. One brand is Pukka detox. I sweeten with a small amount of nutrasweet.

Finally: you can go on maintenance over the weekend, which for most people, adds 500kcal per day (for a 1 lb loss per week). You will lose weight more slowly, but what's the rush?
  • abijones75
    No rush, if it takes me another couple of months to lose 7 ibs I'm happy with that. Dark cos and nuts, yum!!! I have cut cheese out of my diet completely, I don't need it and it's so calorific. I love nuts tho, I keep eating cashews, and popcorn which has no nutritional value so that bad. I've discovered pickled onions are virtually cal free, 21 class for 100g! So they're a good snack. Tracefan I had one of those giant choc chip cookies the other day, about 260 cals...it was yum but I hated myself after!
  • Captain_Chao5
    Captain_Chao5 Posts: 46 Member
    I struggle in the evenings too. I have breakfast, lunch, sometimes a piece of fruit mid-afternoon, then dinner. During the day my cravings are dealt with by drinking water, but come the evening I could demolish lots of snacks sweet or savory. I'm hoping it's just a bad habit that I need to break.
    Good luck with your plan.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Make sure you're eating enough throughout the day, as has been mentioned a few times above.

Personally, sometimes the urge to snack is more mental than true hunger, like when I'm watching TV in the evenings, I try to pick something that takes a long time to eat and is fairly easy on calories, like air popped popcorn and a sparkling water.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,720 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm hell bent on ruining all of my progress it seems :( I've been so good at sticking to my cal limit and exercising loads, I got down to 132 ibs a couple of days ago and ever since Ive been starving hungry and I keep snacking, especially in the evening. It's like I'm trying to stop myself from succeeding, so annoyed with myself. Can someone please lend me some willpower?

I'm your height (5'5"), and much older (60 y/o), plus hypothyroid (controlled with meds), and found it possible to lose at a higher calorie level than 1200 net. (I was still losing close to a pound a week at 1400-1500 net). I'm also vegetarian (ovo-lacto), and have been for 41 years.

I didn't see whether you said you were eating 1200 net (eating back some/all of your exercise calories) or 1200 gross (not eating back exercise). I'd suggest eating back at least 50% of your exercise if you aren't, even if that means losing a little more slowly. With as little to lose as you have, for best health, you don't want to be losing very fast anyway, and it's good to fuel your workouts.

Satiation is different in everyone, it seems, but I found I get very crave-y if I don't get enough protein. There are varying opinions, but I aimed for .6-.8g protein per pound of goal weight, i.e., around 75-100g daily. Now heading into maintenance (I'm around 122 pounds which is fine with my doctor for my build, and eating 1700 net), I'm trying to consistently get around 100g ovo-lacto/veg protein most days, without protein bars, powders, shakes, or fake meats. (That eating style is not some religious thing; it's just that I find actual food more tasty and satiating.)

I re-started weight training mid-weight-loss after a long hiatus, and found it extremely important to fuel that, or I got fatigued & crave-y. (BTW, I'm also active on the cardio front: I row, take spin classes, and more.)

Have you experimented with timing of your eating (y'know, 3 meals or 5, snacks or no, big breakfast vs. big dinner, bedtime snack or no, etc.)? Different routines are more satiating for different people. There's also the question of macros, i.e., are you most satiated if you get plenty of protein, a good amount of healthy fat, some filling carbs, or a good amount of high-volume/low-cal food like high-fiber veggies? Finding the approach that works for you helps with feeling full & satisfied.

• ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 205 Member
    edited February 2016
    Since you can't stop snacking, pay attention to what you're snacking on. Carrots, celery and other raw vegetables are extremely low in calories provided you don't use any dressing. A fresh garden salad with vinegar is also low. I sometimes eat the sugar-free jello (Hartley's) cups (10 calories) or "Skinny Pop" popcorn that's only 135 calories for 3 1/2 cups! When I need a late night snack, my go-to dessert is fresh berries and a dollop of fat-free Cool Whip (Elmlea in the U.K.). Good Luck!
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    What I've been doing to combat evening snack cravings is making a big ol' cuppa herbal tea. I found a brand that I love that doesn't require any sweeteners at all, so it's zero cals (and side note, I hated all tea until about a month ago, when I discovered Harney & Sons teas which are, by my tea-hating standards, exceptionally delicious). It takes my mind off the cravings for about 45 minutes to make and drink the whole thing, at which point, the craving for a piece of chocolate cake is gone.