Waterproof fitness tracker

Options
Can any of you fine people recommend one with a heart rate monitor? I have a Misfit Shine and it's a useless piece of poo.

Replies

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There's a Runtastic Orbit, go to their page, Runtastic.com, they have several options. There is also the Basis Peak, and I want to say the Polar 's also water proof. I like my Basis Peak for tracking sleep and water activity, just be sure and do your research!! They each offer their own set of measurements, you need to choose which one is best for you!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the garmins are waterproof as well. i enjoy my vivosmart
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Anything out there that will survive ocean diving? 150 ft or 5 ATM rating. Any actually diving with one?

I know the Garmin Vivosmart HR is rated to 5 ATM but can't find any comments from divers.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have a V800, but the deepest I've been is around 100 ft with the H7 sensor. my heart rate flat-lined, but it never indicated it lost the signal. it's only rated for 30m
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Anything out there that will survive ocean diving? 150 ft or 5 ATM rating. Any actually diving with one?

I know the Garmin Vivosmart HR is rated to 5 ATM but can't find any comments from divers.

• ScubaSteve1962
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can any of you fine people recommend one with a heart rate monitor? I have a Misfit Shine and it's a useless piece of poo.

The Polar activity monitors are water proof to 30m if you're using it to swim with the A300, A360 and V800 can monitor HR in water with the H7 sensor.

• d_thomas02
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @ScubaSteve1962, Did your Polar V800 resume tracking your heart rate as you ascended above 100 ft? Has it continued to function without issue since? Was this a one time occurrence?

There is a Steve's Scuba shop in Springfield, MO. Any affiliation of your's? ;)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @ScubaSteve1962, Did your Polar V800 resume tracking your heart rate as you ascended above 100 ft? Has it continued to function without issue since? Was this a one time occurrence?

There is a Steve's Scuba shop in Springfield, MO. Any affiliation of your's? ;)

wish I did own a scuba shop, preferably in the Caribbean :wink:

it didn't start tracking until I reached the surface, now I was wearing a 3mil suit. with full jacket BCD so that may have caused some interference, it uses gymlink underwater and bluetooth any other time. I haven't had any issue with it since then, this was in August when I last went diving with it.
    tgchse8umder.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Garmin Fenix 3 - 10 ATM rating.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    There are a couple of waterproof Garmins with waterproof HRM straps but they are very pricey.
  • d_thomas02
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pricey is right. That Garmin Fenix 3 is $500 alone and $550 with the HRM strap.

I can get my FitBit Charge HR waterproofed to a 210 ft rating for $99 (losing the floor counter which is useless IMO anyway). You could also purchase a new ($259) or a refurbished ($179) FitBit Charge HR from the same third party.

I would like to see diving testimonials before pulling the trigger on that service.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR and as stated above it's waterproof. I haven't been swimming in it yet so I don't know how well it functions underwater but for everyday life (washing dishes, washing dog, giving kids a bath) it's great not to have to worry about getting it wet.
  • d_thomas02
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @zenjen13, @moyer566, I've heard comments that the Vivosmart HR display is fuzzy and sideways. What do you think?
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @d_thomas02 The screen is what you would call sideways compared to a watch but you can change the orientation in the app to go width or lengthways depending on what you prefer and which arm it is on. Mine isn't fuzzy at all, crystal clear. It's a new tech so they are working out some kinks in the software but it becomes better for me every week. I have no issues with the display on mine. Any annoyances I've had is from the software but it's being constantly improved upon. It's super comfortable to wear too, I forget I'm wearing it until it buzzes me to move. I bought mine from Costco just in case I didn't like it and haven't once considered sending it back.
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I too have the Vivosmart HR and find it very comfortable and clear. I like the sideways orientation but as stated previously it can be changed. I've only had it a week but really like it. Is waterproof - shower and dishes so far, not swimming yet.
  • joepayer
    joepayer Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive is awesome. Its really quick to start exercising. Waterproof GPS built in. And you get some notifications.
  • d_thomas02
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Still no testimonials on Scuba diving with a fitness tracker.

Still looking for something under $300. Did see that while the Garmin vivosmart HR is rated to 5 ATMs, that the manufacturer claims "it is unsuitable for Scuba diving and high-speed watersports".

Even the Garmin Fenix 3 at $500 with a 10 ATM rating is also considered unsuitable for Scuba diving by Garmin.

Contacted Garmin support and waiting for answer to question, why unsuited for Scuba diving?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Still no testimonials on Scuba diving with a fitness tracker.

Still looking for something under $300. Did see that while the Garmin vivosmart HR is rated to 5 ATMs, that the manufacturer claims "it is unsuitable for Scuba diving and high-speed watersports".

Even the Garmin Fenix 3 at $500 with a 10 ATM rating is also considered unsuitable for Scuba diving by Garmin.

Contacted Garmin support and waiting for answer to question, why unsuited for Scuba diving?

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?206011-Scuba-Diving-with-Fenix-3
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Good stuff. Thanks.

Found this buried a couple of levels down.

3 ATM/30 meter = Water resistant = Watch can be "dipped into water"
    5 ATM/50 meter = Waterproof = Watch can handle occasionally, short times in water
    10 ATM/100 meter = Waterproof = Watch can be used for swimming and snorkeling
    20 ATM/200 meter = Waterproof = Watch can be used for diving

Anyone know of an activity tracker with a 20 ATM rating?
  • d_thomas02
    Options

Got a canned response yesterday basically directing me to Garmin's Water Rating site.

Sent the following:
    ---
    Thank you for your response and links to information.

I have seen these rating pages before and found them less than informative. That is why I asked my question. If a device has a pressure rating of 5 ATMs (as does the VivoSmart HR), why would it not be suitable for a recreational SCUBA dive of less than 100 foot?

Is it that the wrist based optical HR monitors simply fail to pickup the pulse signals at depth?

Do you offer any heart rate monitors that are suitable for SCUBA diving?
    ---
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Final response from Garmin.
    ---
    Water at any depth can interfere with the optical heart rate sensor readings. Water will disrupt the light's penetration of the skin which is required for the reading.

The only swim related heart rate monitors that we have available are the HRM-Swim and the HRM-Tri. These are rated for 5 ATM as well and stores your heart rate information within the sensor. Once you're out of the water and done with your timed activity, the data immediately transfers to your paired device.

I must inform you, however, the vivosmart HR is not compatible with any chest strap Heart Rate Monitor.