Becoming Vegan

Options
13»

Replies

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    OP... as I posted earlier, I strongly suggest you read http://www.veganhealth.org/ and learn about micronutrient and mineral intake issues associated with a vegan diet. I see that you understand that you'll be deficient without proper planning, but the methods that you have posted as your means of coping, won't actually provide you the micronutrients you are looking for in several cases. Just an FYI as new vegan health issues can often take time to manifest, such as B12 issues which can take years. It'll be best for you to learn about them early and plan appropriately.

Thank you very much. I'll admit that my 1st interest, was making a list of foods; that I currently consume & then seeking vegan alternatives (if they weren't already vegan). However my 1st priority should instead & thanks to you, currently is; making a list of nutrients/necessary levels & then seeking vegan foods, that're excellent sources; of them.

I have started making smoothies in the morning with Vega powder. It's vegan and has a bunch of good things in it. Plus, if you use almond milk(like I do) each cup has 50% of your B12 and 45% Vit D needs.

This is great news because after reading about B 12, I was concerned about how I was going to get enough of it; without relying on supplements & I hadn't sought the nutritional information, from my milk substitutions yet because I'd like most of my food intake, to be fresh produce; so I was searching those prior but I love soy & almond milk, coconut milk is watery (to me) & I haven't tried cashew milk yet. Consuming a cup of soy or almond milk a day, is definitely; doable for me!

The B12 in plant milks is there because it is fortified with it -- there is no difference between that and supplementation. If you prefer fortified foods, that's fine (lots of vegans eat them), but there is no reason not to "rely on supplements." Supplements can be a cheap and easy way to ensure you're getting the B12 that you need.

I understand, I meant without taking a separate supplement beyond food; such as a pill. Unless of course, I have to.

Cool -- didn't mean to come across as condescending. I've met lots of people who didn't know that B12 in plant milk was there due to fortification, so that is why I pointed it out. :)

Oh no you didn't, your awesome; I very much appreciate all of your help! I've read enough of your posts, to know that; your trustworthy & accept others, even if their lifestyle choices; don't coincide with your own. <3

Aw, thank you. Good luck with your transition. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Your welcome, thank you & I definitely will!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OP... as I posted earlier, I strongly suggest you read http://www.veganhealth.org/ and learn about micronutrient and mineral intake issues associated with a vegan diet. I see that you understand that you'll be deficient without proper planning, but the methods that you have posted as your means of coping, won't actually provide you the micronutrients you are looking for in several cases. Just an FYI as new vegan health issues can often take time to manifest, such as B12 issues which can take years. It'll be best for you to learn about them early and plan appropriately.

Thank you very much. I'll admit that my 1st interest, was making a list of foods; that I currently consume & then seeking vegan alternatives (if they weren't already vegan). However my 1st priority should instead & thanks to you, currently is; making a list of nutrients/necessary levels & then seeking vegan foods, that're excellent sources; of them.

I have started making smoothies in the morning with Vega powder. It's vegan and has a bunch of good things in it. Plus, if you use almond milk(like I do) each cup has 50% of your B12 and 45% Vit D needs.

This is great news because after reading about B 12, I was concerned about how I was going to get enough of it; without relying on supplements & I hadn't sought the nutritional information, from my milk substitutions yet because I'd like most of my food intake, to be fresh produce; so I was searching those prior but I love soy & almond milk, coconut milk is watery (to me) & I haven't tried cashew milk yet. Consuming a cup of soy or almond milk a day, is definitely; doable for me!

Spirulina and chloerella are good plant based spices of b12 but you will want to supplement this.these are a source of protein too.

Nutritional yeast is a good thing and tastes cheesy a good protein source.

You will want to take d3, k, and a whole foods multi like rainbowlite ( vegan)

There's a books called meat is for *kitten*, the forks over knives, the engine 2 diet, the no meat athlete, the complete book of vegan substitutes. As some meal ideas. I look for vegan looking diet books for some ideas. The plant based way I think is one too.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

Spirulina and chloerella are good plant based spices of b12 but you will want to supplement this.these are a source of protein too.

There's a books called meat is for *kitten*, the forks over knives, the engine 2 diet, the no meat athlete, the complete book of vegan substitutes. As some meal ideas. I look for vegan looking diet books for some ideas. The plant based way I think is one too.

Thank you very much & oh wow, am I going to be busy; at the library lol!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Some batches of chlorella *may* contain B12, other batches may have B12 analogues that actually hinder our ability to absorb B12. The data is far, far away from allowing us to conclude it is a good source for us.

Spirulina has B12 analogues, some of which may actually keep us from absorbing B12. Studies on humans have shown it is not a good source of B12.

Vegans should *not* rely on chlorella for B12 until we have a better handle on what batches have it and which batches don't (and if it does have harmful analogues). Spirulina shouldn't be relied on at all.

B12 is incredibly easy to supplement (or to obtain through reliably fortified foods). It's cheap and easy to find. The consequences of B12 deficiency can be serious, permanent, and life-changing. We should be cautious when giving new vegans advice about B12 and make sure we are sticking close to the science.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/plant#chlorella
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    There is a grocery store here that sells vegan "chicken" breasts, and they actually have 100% b12 and 80% Iron and a whole lot of other good stuff. We are eating it now for supper with rice, corn and salsa.
  • ellenavegan
    ellenavegan Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A tip is to watch youtubers like Bonnyrebecca, they do a great job explaining that you have to eat more on a vegan lifestyle and they have some amazing recipes too! Vegan is also generally cheaper since everyone buys veggies, it doesn't matter if you eat meat or not, but you're saving money by not buying meat, cheese ect... Hope this helps x
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I did say she would still need to supplement b12 still. I'm still newly vegan too. Part of things I'm learning and passing along. I did not say to rely solely on theses for b12.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

The B12 in plant milks is there because it is fortified with it -- there is no difference between that and supplementation. If you prefer fortified foods, that's fine (lots of vegans eat them), but there is no reason not to "rely on supplements." Supplements can be a cheap and easy way to ensure you're getting the B12 that you need.

I understand, I meant without taking a separate supplement beyond food; such as a pill. Unless of course, I have to.

All the vegans I know IRL take B-12 supplements.
  • tymberh
    tymberh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My favorite cheap vegan foods would be brown rice, beans ( all sorts of beans there are so many), Hemp powder (great way to add protein to a smoothie for minimal cost), mixed salad greens, rice noodles, fruits and veggies (going seasonal is key for best prices), tomato sauce, potatoes, oatmeal, hummus and popcorn (air-popped plain)! There are so many, many more hope this helps though!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

Some batches of chlorella *may* contain B12, other batches may have B12 analogues that actually hinder our ability to absorb B12. The data is far, far away from allowing us to conclude it is a good source for us.

Spirulina has B12 analogues, some of which may actually keep us from absorbing B12. Studies on humans have shown it is not a good source of B12.

Vegans should *not* rely on chlorella for B12 until we have a better handle on what batches have it and which batches don't (and if it does have harmful analogues). Spirulina shouldn't be relied on at all.

B12 is incredibly easy to supplement (or to obtain through reliably fortified foods). It's cheap and easy to find. The consequences of B12 deficiency can be serious, permanent, and life-changing. We should be cautious when giving new vegans advice about B12 and make sure we are sticking close to the science.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/plant#chlorella

Thank you, for clarifying & that's what's so great about these forums, we're all able, to teach & learn, via each other!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    There is a grocery store here that sells vegan "chicken" breasts, and they actually have 100% b12 and 80% Iron and a whole lot of other good stuff. We are eating it now for supper with rice, corn and salsa.

I'll definitely look for that, thank you!
  • Melmo1988
    Options

I don't know if you have a Superstore, but that's where I got it, it's called Blue Menu vegetarian chicken breast in a pale blue box.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    A tip is to watch youtubers like Bonnyrebecca, they do a great job explaining that you have to eat more on a vegan lifestyle and they have some amazing recipes too! Vegan is also generally cheaper since everyone buys veggies, it doesn't matter if you eat meat or not, but you're saving money by not buying meat, cheese ect... Hope this helps x

It does help, especially since when I bought meat/poultry, I always bought the leaner (most expensive) type; so I hardly ever ate it. That's why becoming a Vegan 100%, is possible because I was I'd guesstimate approximately; consuming 80% vegan already.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    Well I did say she would still need to supplement b12 still. I'm still newly vegan too. Part of things I'm learning and passing along. I did not say to rely solely on theses for b12.

However in your 4 weeks of being a Vegan, you do know a lot more; than some'd (like me). Therefore I believe that it's complimentary, if someone doesn't know/remember; that your new to this lifestyle.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

All the vegans I know IRL take B-12 supplements.

I am sure that I'll have to take some supplements myself but to save money, that believe that it'd be best; if it also has calories. Which is why I'm trying to, obtain what's attainable; from food 1st.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    tymberh wrote: »
    My favorite cheap vegan foods would be brown rice, beans ( all sorts of beans there are so many), Hemp powder (great way to add protein to a smoothie for minimal cost), mixed salad greens, rice noodles, fruits and veggies (going seasonal is key for best prices), tomato sauce, potatoes, oatmeal, hummus and popcorn (air-popped plain)! There are so many, many more hope this helps though!

It definitely does help, produce is my candy!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

I don't know if you have a Superstore, but that's where I got it, it's called Blue Menu vegetarian chicken breast in a pale blue box.

I actually was about to edit my post, to ask you for the brand name; thank you! I'll Google it, so I know exactly; what to look for.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    They have a few more vegetarian items (they are in the meat section with the other boxed meats) but the other ones don't have B12 and not as much iron.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The point I was trying to make is that there is no evidence those two foods are a source of B12.