2oz of uncooked pasta is like 5 spoonfuls. xD

Options
anyone often double it? :p

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I usually have a double serving but I only eat one meal a day.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    really? i guess i'll get used to it soon.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    With pasta I usually halve it and use a lot of veggies for bulk.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A normal portion for the "new" me is 50-60 grams of grains for dinner, or 40 grams for breakfast or lunch. The "old" me didn't know, didn't care, but I reduced it by 2/3.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my food scale.

My portion size for anything is determined by how much I want of it and how that amount fits into my overall calorie/macro budget for the day. I rarely consume the same amount as what's labeled on the box as one serving.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Move to Canada. The dry pasta portion size is 85 g or about 3 oz. Only times I eat 2 oz/56 g of pasta is if it's in a salad. Even with veggie bulk, it's not enough.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Most of the time if I do pasta I will get one that needs cooked a bit. Most of the time it will double in size. I will add broccoli and chicken with alfredo sauce. I could live off of it when I am on a Alfredo kick. I get on them about once or twice a year.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a side for me now, not the meal. I always make sure to have some sort of good protein and lots of vegetables. It bulks it up real nice and I don't miss the giant plates of pasta I used to eat.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Honestly, once its cooked i think its a decent portion.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories, I love pasta for dinner. I had 4 oz the other night with a little olive oil and feta cheese and it was heaven.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i mixed my sauce with cooked sliced carrots. so good. love carrots.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Really? I typically find I can't eat a whole serving anymore. But I do make sure the sauce has lots of meat and veggies which fill me up.
    The old me used to have a ton of pasta, tiny bit of sauce and no meat. Just add butter and cheese and you're good to go! No wonder I looked like Ms. Piggy...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Honestly, once its cooked i think its a decent portion.

Agreed.

It's nearly a cup, or at least spaghetti is. That fills up a good amount of my dinner plate. We always have either meat sauce or meatballs or chicken with pasta. Forget adding more veggies, I'd rather have a pile of meatballs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. I don't eat pasta because of this. I'd rather triple the veg and double the meat yo
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    A serving (bout 70g dry) like the label stated on the penne pasta i have at home now does look sad when uncooked.

After it was cooked though, I can get a full plate which i can hardly finish. Especially when it was cooked with sauce, meats and veges. That's a lot. Most of the time i just weigh 50 g and fight the urge to add more just because it look so little uncooked.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 35-40g pasta, sometimes 50g absolute max. I don't feel like it's a small portion. But I like to use a lot of veggies in sauce, or some lettuce and tomatoes on the side, so I guess it bulks it up a bit.
    If you are strugling with portion size, try some smaller type of pasta, your bites will be smaller, you will eat for longer and it will feel like you're eating more.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I only eat pasta when I can double it (meaning fit a doubled-up portion into my calories.)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I know the package says a portion is 2 oz., but 1/2 cup cooked (1 oz.) is actually a starch serving equal to a slice of bread. Eating 4 ounces is way too much. Add veggies to your pasta if you need more to eat. Pasta is over processed refined carbs good only in small amounts if at all.
  • hittrain
    hittrain Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have found 2 oz to be a good amount (about a cup) once cooked. It makes a great base for a number of proteins (shrimp/chicken/mussels) or as a "stir fry" with veggies. Even adding some sauce is low-calorie. It comes down to being creative and adding lower calorie options that fit into your daily goal. Best of luck and continue down the journey to a healthier (and most importantly, happier) you?

Jon
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I know the package says a portion is 2 oz., but 1/2 cup cooked (1 oz.) is actually a starch serving equal to a slice of bread. Eating 4 ounces is way too much. Add veggies to your pasta if you need more to eat. Pasta is over processed refined carbs good only in small amounts if at all.

Funny how I get more of my B vitamins from a serving of nasty ol' pasta than I do from eating fruits and veggies.