2oz of uncooked pasta is like 5 spoonfuls. xD

Options

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What veggies do you guys add to your pastas?
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    misty589 wrote: »

Broccoli mostly
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

1) Spaghetti - Bolognese: Tomato, onion, garlic, chili, pepper/paprika, (carrot/celery/parsley) + ground beef, parmesan
    2) Shells or farfalle: Peas, onion, garlic, parsley + lemon, ricotta and parmesan, or ham and cream, or chicken and cream
    3) Wheels or fusilli - Minestrone: Tomato, white or brown beans, carrots, squash + parmesan
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Mushrooms, onions, spinach, eggplant.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    When I make spaghetti for supper, 2oz isn't quite enough and 4oz is too much, so I often make 3. Seems to hit the spot with me. Sometimes I'll add it to my sautéed veggies that I make, and 2oz is enough simply because the volume of vegetables I have with it stuffs me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I double a lot of servings (sour cream, anyone?), but I've never considered the pasta portion to be small. I rarely even eat a whole serving of it and I love pasta.

Same. I usually do eat a serving, but it seems plenty. I just add more sauce (which I make with lots of veg and lean meat, typically).

I used to overeat pasta all the time, but more because I have a hard time figuring out how much cooked pasta the dry will make and make too much and then eat it anyway because it doesn't save that well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Pretty much depends on what I have on hand, what meat I'm using (if I am), and whether it's tomato-based or not. Could be anything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As I said I eat double servings but my diet is highly restricted (medical reasons) and can't eat veggies or red meat so tomato based sauces are out of the question so I usually eat it with some melted cheese only. Plus because of my disease I am never hungry so I usually force myself to a calorie dense meal as I don't usually snack.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i ruv pasta.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I always eat a serving and a half. After I add things in (sauce, chicken/shrimp, veggies), it still makes a decent sized meal. Even before I started weighing, when I had a huge plate of spaghetti I could almost never eat it all.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The penne I buy is 263 calories per 75g dry, it ends up being a decent amount with sauce and meatballs. If I'm just having pasta with sauce and no meat I'll cook up a lot more.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat the 3.5 dry oz serving option. The barilla boxes list both. 350 calories boiled & naked waiting to be sauced. I only eat pasta about 2-3 times a month, so I'm willing to save calories toward enjoying that meal. I like barillas protein pasta line a lot. It tastes like the pastas we get in Italy when we visit my in-laws. Whole wheat pasta gives me a case of the 70's-hippy-Waldorf-school-lunch sads. Just can't!
  • scolaris
    Options
    I usually make a protein rich sauce. Bolognese. Piedmontese meatballs with spinach. My MIL's 'brown' sauce with a slow simmered steak and a lot of porcini mushrooms. Sometimes a puttanesca with lots of olives and some marinated artichoke hearts, and grilled sausage on the side. Pesto in the summer, with tiny steamed new potatoes and green beans tossed in. Northern Italian sauces aren't super red. If I'm using fresh tomatoes, that's a very thin delicate sauce that gets cooked very quickly.
  • scolaris
    Options
    I want to work on a really excellent pasta dish with those large white beans. Yum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on my meal. If I want a pasta dish, I have 1.5 serving and it's perfect for me. If it's just as a side but I want veggies too, then 1 is enough.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of pasta, when I do have it I add protein and veggies plus sauce and it's a big, filling meal. I add broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, onion, peppers, it really changes depending on the sauce and protein I am having.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    for me a meal portion is 3 oz and I am very satisfied. I did have to learn what a normal portion was. That amount fits in to my food plan nicely
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry pasta is much bigger than 5 spoonfuls (and it's heavier than 2 oz, too) after it's cooked.

1. If you're logging 2 oz dry pasta (usually about 200 calories), be sure you're weighing your pasta raw, not cooked
    2. Use a smaller spoon lol
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

1) Spaghetti - Bolognese: Tomato, onion, garlic, chili, pepper/paprika, (carrot/celery/parsley) + ground beef, parmesan
    2) Shells or farfalle: Peas, onion, garlic, parsley + lemon, ricotta and parmesan, or ham and cream, or chicken and cream
    3) Wheels or fusilli - Minestrone: Tomato, white or brown beans, carrots, squash + parmesan

These all sound delish!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, onions and green beans. I also add soy sauce and Lowery's Sesame Ginger With Mandarin Orange Juice 30 Minute Marinade. One of my favorite dishes and I have it a few times a week.