What's too cold for outdoor fitness?

Options
owlprincess1234
owlprincess1234 Posts: 62 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
It's going to be between -40 and -46 celcious tonight with the windchill!!!

What's the coldest you'd venture outside for some fitness?

I'm going to be staying in with some youtubed workout videos.

Replies

• misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't run if it's colder than 15F, but I have XCountry and downhill skied in below 0F weather.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I do not run outside from Dec-Feb. Yes I am a wuss!!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Depends on your level of exertion. You can certainly walk in that weather. Heavy exerti0n can damage your lungs.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too cold, just wrong clothes. But I wuss out at about - 10f, - 15f windchill. Don't have that many clothes B)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I will downhill ski at -15F, only because I don't sweat much. My hiking comes to an abrupt halt at 0. And the cold doesn't harm your lungs...a myth.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Cold doesn't bother me much. It's the wind that does me in. My unofficial cutoff is if the temperature is less than the wind speed. Today was 7F, but the wind was only 3mph, and the sun was shining so it was a pretty pleasant 7 mile run. Especially since earlier this week the highs were in the teens, but winds in the 20+mph range so was stuck with the treadmill.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The Army draws the line at -20 for outdoor PT. The schools here in Fairbanks also say anything lower than -20 is too cold for recess.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Our schools here say -20 F with windchill is enough to cancel class. We get that cold maybe once a year.

I found this guide from OSHA that says that outdoor work should cease about in the temperature range you're talking about:
    https://www.osha.gov/dts/weather/winter_weather/windchill.html
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    lol. today. today is too cold. I have wimped out as well.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Same where I am. Air temperatures were in the 20s F, but winds were around 25-40 mph so wind chills in the single digits.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I go walking 1-3 mies when it's -10, and I get hot. My parka is rated to -30
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So far I'm good at 10 F with -5 F windchill. I've wimped out when it's colder than that so far, but I am open-minded to trying it. What is a bigger issue for me is slick ground or icy rain. This is running. For walking I have to deal with whatever I get, since I do some walking for my commute and errands, and for biking I'm a total wimp and don't go if it's below about 45 (I bike indoors instead). I'm going to try to build up my toughness for biking next winter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    I have went for several Km snowshoeing or x-country skiing at -30C. I just had to dress appropriately. Good outdoor wear that not only has sufficient insulation, but has a shell that stopped the wind is a must. Once I get going the heat my body produces keeps me plenty warm. The only downside is when I stop in temperatures like that, I start to get cold quite quickly and it is harder to warm up again. The solution is to keep going until I have made the whole circuit and am back to my vehicle.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Have shoveled deep snow in -35 frigid cold. Then I built giant snowmen. Worked up a sweat. But I was REAL close to the front door of a toasty warm house! lol
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise outside if it is below 55F. Yes, I am a big wuss but I live in Southern CA, and temperatures below 60 are cold for me. On the other hand, I can take much warmest temperature than many of you. This is a big and wide country.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Gone for hikes at 0F through 110F. With the right gear and preparation there's not a lot of limits at either end of the spectrum.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The last time it got like that here, I wore a winter coat with wool military surplus pants, windbreaker pants over those, bunny boots (as in those white rubber horrors - they do work!), and wind resistant stuff for my face plus a scarf. And I got on my bike and went out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I played football in the US into my mid 30s. I played sleeveless and without gloves in snow and below zero before wind chill.

If my body is up for a run I will until -30.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I haven't found my lower limit yet (first winter of running) but the lowest I've gone so far is - 23F wind chill. I ran 8 miles before going inside.

Today it was 0F and I thought that was a great temperature to run in.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    This is dated now, but for what it's worth -40 C is about -40 F.