DEXA Scan Shock

Options

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    ebackdahl wrote: »
    30%ish seems reasonable tbh. Keep working at it, Rome wasn't built in a day, and you sound like you've made great progress so far :)

I'm seconding this. Your scan is going to be more accurate than your scale, as you already admitted. I would agree that you appear to be around the 30% range, give or take some.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I say at least 27% body fat. I can't see your legs or back, so this is an assumption based on the pics you've posted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here are a couple pictures. What do you think?

That it demonstrates DEXA scans being reliable. :smile: You do look like you're wearing ~30% fat.

No need to exhaust more methods of measurement for now. Keep working at it - good job on the progress to date.
    Azdak wrote: »
    Per OP's numbers, his LBM is 122lb.

So, no.

Thoughts after seeing pics?
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about your height? You look like 30% bf, but your height to weight seems like it should be 20% or less
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    50lbs loss is awesome..in just 5 and a half months and without resistance work / adequate protein you've possibly lost more LBM than you needed to though

I'd accept the dexa scan within a couple of percent accuracy, visually your photos match that too

Keep going, but include a heavy progressive lifting programme in your exercise: your body composition and your triathlete experience will both thank you for it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Have to laugh at everyone questioning your height though ...what weight did dexa put you at?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yep, judging by the photos, your DEXA scan is spot on regarding your BF%. You'd benefit from a lifting program. I'm very curious as to what scale you actually used that gave you a readout of 19% BF.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What % should BF actually be? My BMI is around 22.5 and I am a 54 year old woman. I have not got a clue about what my BF% should be and I would love to know....
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss. I would agree with the others, would have guessed upper 20's. Also would agree on some weights. Best of luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »
    What % should BF actually be? My BMI is around 22.5 and I am a 54 year old woman. I have not got a clue about what my BF% should be and I would love to know....

This article gives some ranges and pictures of what they look like:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It seems you have some loose skin too, no? I'd put you around 28, from the pictures.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It seems you have some loose skin too, no? I'd put you around 28, from the pictures.

wtf?
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    OP, Did the DEXA scan give you a weight?

If not, I'd be looking at weighing on different scales as a check on your's.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »

This is a rough idea. Everyone will feel comfortable in different areas, though:

normal-body-fat-percentage-chart-for-men-12.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The age range is relevant go back to the article and look at the Jackson and pollock tables
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The age range is relevant go back to the article and look at the Jackson and pollock tables

It's true, it is "age graded". I'm a bit stubborn though, I'm in my late 50's but for my own purposes I don't want to measure on the age graded scale.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn, I so get this.

Pet peeve.
    "You're in pretty good shape... for a man your age." [grrrrr]
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

wtf?

Huh? Sorry, it just seemed to me that the belly was not just fat, but some loose skin as well, so it might change the results, or at least how we perceive it. And from his sides, he just doesn't look like 30%+ to me.

I'm confused about the 'wtf' comment.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Well there is absolutely no sign of any loose skin on either of those pictures and as people tend to be sensitive about things like that it just seemed a weird comment based on the fact that OP has not mentioned any perceived issue with his skin