What protein powder do you ladies recommend?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting, and how many calories/grams of protein a day are you eating? A lot of people think that because they're working out their body needs extra protein, which isn't necessarily true. Unless you're doing heavy lifting and trying to build crazy amounts of muscle, you don't need to eat more than your recommended amount, which is around 50 grams a day. As long as you're eating a healthy, balanced diet you should have more than enough protein to repair your muscles. That being said, I do keep a protein powder on hand for days when I have a smoothie instead of a meal. I really like Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder in the chocolate flavor. I only use one scoop at a time though, not the recommended 3 scoops.

That recommendation is essentially for a sedentary individual, not someone who is active and in particular, lifting. Protein isn't for building crazy amounts of muscle...you build crazy amounts of muscle with good genetics and lots of food...and actually, if you're trying to bulk on muscle, carbs are king...you want enough protein to aid in repair and so that your body isn't breaking down your muscle...but for actually building, carbs are king.

Beyond that, when dieting you want to take in more protein than perhaps you normally would because it is muscle sparing...when you're dieting, without adequate protein and resistance training, your body is going to cannibalize muscle as well as burn fat...taking in more protein and resistance training is going to substantially mitigate muscle loss when dieting.

All that said, a protein powder isn't necessary at all....it is just a supplement to help you hit your targets if you can't do so through your normal diet. OP...you're probably going to have to try a few different kinds to find one you like...personally, I like Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate in chocolate.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    On average aim for .8-1g of protein per pound of body weight if you're looking to maintain or increase muscle mass. As per brand. Do not waste your money on gender specific proteins. It's purely a money grab. Id aim for a whey concentrate with low sugar, fat, and carbs. Expect a few grams of each due to it being less processed/refined than isolate. It does though retain more health benefits than isolate such as lactoferin, it's also more bio available for digestion.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your protein goals each day? If yes then you don't need protein powder....if your not hitting your goals and you would like an easy way of getting more then just get on eBay and find yourself a whey protein isolate or concentrate (much cheaper than brand name protein) add it to a smoothie, or add some Greek yogurt instead or just eat a bit more protein dense food! Timing doesn't matter at all!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome new profile pic @summerkissed :+1:
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can get enough protein in real food. You don't have to consume a powder that comes from a factory.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Awesome new profile pic @summerkissed :+1:

Thank you.....buts it's not current :( it's what I'm working back too!!! Not far to go though :smile: