Embarrassed myself at the gym

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I'm unimpressed with the level of embarrassment in OP. I saw a lady fall on a treadmill and be shot into the wall behind it. Now, that is embarrassing. I saw her the next day at the gym (not on the treadmill though).

YESSS! Now that is embarrassing! I was also disappointed with the level of embarrassment here. I wanted to hear a really funny story.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I have done so many things and felt like an idiot, i know how incredibly shameful you may feel.

I was on my last set, last rep of squats. On the descent i knew that i wasn't going to make it back up. I had to lower down slowly, get down on my knees, and crawl out from under the bar. About 5 other gym members came over to make sure i was okay. I fled in tears I was so embarrased.

I also failed on bench press once and had to be rescued because i pinned myself down.

There was the time i thought i was going to do sit ups on the medicine ball and literally fell off to the side and the ball was shot across the room out from underneath me.

I was walking down the stairs from the cardio section after leg day + cardio. My legs gave out and i fell down like 6-7 steps on my butt the whole way. THUMP THUMP THUMP

Literally, you've just got to suck it up and go back in. Learn from your mistakes, and don't judge yourself or others too harshly. :)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Don't worry, I'm sure nobody noticed!

Last June I dropped a 15kg plate on my big toe in the gym. I was so embarrassed that I tried to pretend it hadn't happened. I carried on with my workout - my foot was throbbing so hard but I was determined to be nonchalant about it. I spent the rest of that day with my foot up and an ice pack on it - luckily it wasn't broken and 8 months later, the resulting black toenail has now almost finished growing out!
  • heatherdear18
    heatherdear18 Posts: 17 Member
    It is em
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I have done so many things and felt like an idiot, i know how incredibly shameful you may feel.

I was on my last set, last rep of squats. On the descent i knew that i wasn't going to make it back up. I had to lower down slowly, get down on my knees, and crawl out from under the bar. About 5 other gym members came over to make sure i was okay. I fled in tears I was so embarrased.

I also failed on bench press once and had to be rescued because i pinned myself down.

There was the time i thought i was going to do sit ups on the medicine ball and literally fell off to the side and the ball was shot across the room out from underneath me.

I was walking down the stairs from the cardio section after leg day + cardio. My legs gave out and i fell down like 6-7 steps on my butt the whole way. THUMP THUMP THUMP

Literally, you've just got to suck it up and go back in. Learn from your mistakes, and don't judge yourself or others too harshly. :)

wow! Thanks for sharing . I know some people don't think it's that big of a deal, but for me it is. I mind my own business, literally don't pay attention to anyone else, have my headphones in and do my workout. So for me to actually have someone notice I was doing something so wrong to come and help me out, it's not like my form was wrong, it was literally just stupidity.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    I was air drumming on the treadmill once, hit the emergency stop and flew halfway across the room. I was alone in the upstairs part of the gym but I knew from the look on the receptionist's face when I came downstairs later that she'd seen it on the CCTV.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    One of my first bench sessions in a new gym I didn't set safeties high enough failed the rep, pinned myself to bench and had to yell HELP and be rescued by a young 20 something. Trainer then came over to check I was OK and give me a telling off. Worse bit was it was only 30kg. I felt so stupid kind of finished my workout and went home. Didn't want to go back but teenage daughter said I couldn't give up. Went in on a Sunday morning and practiced failing lifts so next time it happened I could do it safely. And I have had to do it with both bench and squat
    But you get yourself back up , acknowledge that was a fail, take some weight of the bar and go again. Sometimes others notice and check you're OK but usually they don't. Don't let it stop you use it as a learning experience.
  • heatherdear18
    heatherdear18 Posts: 17 Member
    I was air drumming on the treadmill once, hit the emergency stop and flew halfway across the room. I was alone in the upstairs part of the gym but I knew from the look on the receptionist's face when I came downstairs later that she'd seen it on the CCTV.

^^man! I hope you were okay! And lmfao! Now I know why the receptionists were acting so weird with me when I asked for my card before leaving! Gah!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, I had the exercise ball thing while attempting to sit on it, I fell off, shooting the ball into some girl doing step ups. She screamed, looked around and saw dumb me sitting on the floor with a big smile and the "sorry" look. She kicked the ball back my way and I tried again. She was watching me this time.......

There are some pretty good YouTube videos that can show you how it's done.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    When I was first lifting I tried doing box squats with a too heavy weight. I got pinned to the box and was too high up to dump the bar on the pins. There was only one other guy in the weight room at the time and he was facing away wearing head phones. I had to shout for a while to get his attention. All the while I was stapled to a box with 225 on my back. He finally heard me, pulled the bar off and then lectured me.

I've rolled countless bars off my stomach missing a final rep on bench.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    We all have our embarrassing gym moments. Mine was when I was doing barbell bench press. When I was hooking it back up, I failed at putting it back. What happen is a catastrophe as it almost hit my chest and struggled with balancing it so I can put it back up. One person looked at me and asked if I need help. I said "No" and I never came back to the Combatives gym (military gym). I just went to another military gym nearby :'(
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member

lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I'm unimpressed with the level of embarrassment in OP. I saw a lady fall on a treadmill and be shot into the wall behind it. Now, that is embarrassing. I saw her the next day at the gym (not on the treadmill though).

YESSS! Now that is embarrassing! I was also disappointed with the level of embarrassment here. I wanted to hear a really funny story.
    The most embarrassing thing I ever saw was at the gym on my last base. A was on the rowing machine and just rowing away but kinda watching people. This guy goes by me flexing his muscles and looking at himself in the mirror...and walked straight into a pole and almost knocked himself out. I just started laughing and couldn't stop! I had to leave the gym...but he sulked away.....
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWLzaHrvSU just search "gym fails" on youtube, hours of entertainment bound to help you feel better about yourself!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    I am under doctors orders to take high amounts of fiber. Which sometimes can causes me to fart at inconvenient times.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I can promise you, people are more worried about themselves at the gym. Nobody probably noticed except the nice gentleman that assisted you.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    @heatherdear18

It can happen, at any gym, to any person. Personally the fact that you weren't intimidated going into a military gym free weight room tells me you are doing better than a lot of other people. I know a lot of people that would be comfortable in outside gyms that would never go into the "big boy rooms" at a lot of military gyms.

I'd rather fail in the gym or working out than on the couch.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    One day you will be showing a gym newbie how to do something correctly! Keep going!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Military gyms are no joke I used to work out at the one at my last base and the weight room can be intimidating as hell to walk into! Hold your head up and be confident we all make mistakes. You got this!!

I've been lifting for a long time and I always have to take a minute to walk around in a military gym. They are often big and overwhelming!

It happens to everyone. Don't worry about it you learned something new and will continue to learn. It's all okay!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member

Failing on squats is a fact of life. It is good to practice dumping the bar so you know how when the time comes.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2016
    Look at it this way, we all have to start learning somewhere and anyone who tells you they always do it right the first time is lying. The good news is, you'll never make that particular mistake again. No one will even remember it tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

ETA: If you're worried about it and you come upon another piece of equipment you're not sure how to use, try to watch one of the others use the equipment then mimic them.