Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So what, we have all made mistakes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I did 4 sets of dumbbell presses today before I realized I had a different amount of weight in each hand. I was wondering why I kept failing on one side before the other lol.

I was doing a whole pyramid set of bench... and I was going up I think- I "took off" the 5's and put on 10's.

And I did my set and I was like the *kitten* that felt weird- and I went to swap weights again and realized I had left the five on one side and merely added the ten on top of it.
    Womp Womp.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 years since high school, and I still vividly remember the day my track team all worked legs in the weight room, my first time ever lifting. We were already tired from having run a full running workout on the track, but coach wanted to try something new. I somehow managed to not embarrass myself too badly (other than the fact I was using the same weight as the girls, while the guys were all lifting far heavier, but I was a scrawny shrimp back then), but there remained one more obstacle to overcome. The weight room was on the first floor, but the locker room was in the basement. After the workout was over, I tried to go down the stairs to the locker room. Tried being the operative word, because my very first step down my leg buckled from being so wobbly and I went head over heels the entire flight, wiping out two others who were also wobbly.

Two decades later, my kids wonder why I insist on holding the stair rails.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also- that guy who dumped like 15 plates on the ground at the retro-fit- that was at a gym down the street from me. LOL go NJ.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I did 4 sets of dumbbell presses today before I realized I had a different amount of weight in each hand. I was wondering why I kept failing on one side before the other lol.

I did this on the bench press two days ago.

Also, one time I was doing light squats to work on form and really working on sitting back on the descent. You can probably guess the outcome. I fell flat on my butt and 75 pounds crashed down onto the gym floor and made a sound like the grand finale of a destruction derby.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I came expecting a poop story.
    Real life wasn't as embarrassing.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I came expecting a poop story.
    Real life wasn't as embarrassing.

Me too.

Everybody makes mistakes...that's how we learn! Just shake it off and push forward.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have done more embarrassing things at the gym than I could possibly name. Here's what you do, you use a specific equipment properly and then use it in an extremely innovative way (improperly to most, but ingenious to others). Look at YouTube/Instagram videos for ideas.
    For example: on the Smith Machine (since u mentioned it):
    You lie on the ground on your back and put the bar with weight in the middle of the bottom of your feet, hip thrust up with straight legs, keeping your shoulder blades on the floor, tighten you glutes at the top -- for your abs.
    Or you can do traditional donkey kicks again with the bar with weight on the bottom of you foot.
    People will get used to you using equipment "un-traditionally" they won't think twice when you actually use it wrong. Just make sure your form is always good.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    valskeete wrote: »
    I have done more embarrassing things at the gym than I could possibly name. Here's what you do, you use a specific equipment properly and then use it in an extremely innovative way (improperly to most, but ingenious to others). Look at YouTube/Instagram videos for ideas.
    For example: on the Smith Machine (since u mentioned it):
    You lie on the ground on your back and put the bar with weight in the middle of the bottom of your feet, hip thrust up with straight legs, keeping your shoulder blades on the floor, tighten you glutes at the top -- for your abs.
    Or you can do traditional donkey kicks again with the bar with weight on the bottom of you foot.
    People will get used to you using equipment "un-traditionally" they won't think twice when you actually use it wrong. Just make sure your form is always good.

Actually hip thrusts are for your glutes ;)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I once stepped on a treadmill that was still running. I didn't realize because #1, was blasting my music too loud and #2, I didn't look down.

Well, eventually I had no choice but to look down, I was on the floor with bloody shins.

I immediately got up and shame-ran 3 miles before I calmly walked out, back to my car, and had a little cry.
  • griffgirl
    griffgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was air drumming on the treadmill once, hit the emergency stop and flew halfway across the room. I was alone in the upstairs part of the gym but I knew from the look on the receptionist's face when I came downstairs later that she'd seen it on the CCTV.

THIS. Is. Amazing. Best story ever.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    OP this thread has been too funny, thanks all for sharing, really had me laughing. I guess we've all been there. Nice to know.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was once on the treadmill when the chap on the treadmill next to me went flying off the back. Turned out he'd had a bit of a brain fart, and forgot he was on the treadmill, thought he was running outside and stopped running to adjust his shoelace.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I once stepped on a treadmill that was still running. I didn't realize because #1, was blasting my music too loud and #2, I didn't look down.

Well, eventually I had no choice but to look down, I was on the floor with bloody shins.

I immediately got up and shame-ran 3 miles before I calmly walked out, back to my car, and had a little cry.

Shame-run - I think I love it.
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what the bosu ball was for and stood on it the wrong way with no coordination. I fell off and did a rolly polly across the floor. I laughed my *kitten* off while sprawled on the ground, then got up and gave it another go.. still the wrong way.. wasn't until I saw someone on it that I realized, lol
    It helped that I was with my daughter and embarrassing her way more than myself, hahaha (evil but funny)
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was air drumming on the treadmill once, hit the emergency stop and flew halfway across the room. I was alone in the upstairs part of the gym but I knew from the look on the receptionist's face when I came downstairs later that she'd seen it on the CCTV.

^^man! I hope you were okay! And lmfao! Now I know why the receptionists were acting so weird with me when I asked for my card before leaving! Gah!

I wonder how many times they see people adjusting their underwear under their pants when they think noone is looking?! damn.. lol
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kristib12 wrote: »
    I didn't know what the bosu ball was for and stood on it the wrong way with no coordination. I fell off and did a rolly polly across the floor. I laughed my *kitten* off while sprawled on the ground, then got up and gave it another go.. still the wrong way.. wasn't until I saw someone on it that I realized, lol
    It helped that I was with my daughter and embarrassing her way more than myself, hahaha (evil but funny)

You can use the Bosu ball both ways. Bosu stands for Both Sides Up/Utilized. So you didn't use it wrong, you just didn't have the balance for that side, lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was once on the treadmill when the chap on the treadmill next to me went flying off the back. Turned out he'd had a bit of a brain fart, and forgot he was on the treadmill, thought he was running outside and stopped running to adjust his shoelace.

I've done this kind of thing trying to remove my shirt while running on a treadmill. It's like the brain can't handle these two things at once so one of them has to stop regardless of the circumstances.

(Fortunately I was alone on my treadmill in the basement so no one saw. And unfortunately, I was alone on my treadmill in the basement so no one saw.)
  • jnp537
    jnp537 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm writing on here basically because I am so embarrassed to tell anyone I know personally.
    So I've been working out The gym again for about 6 months. 2 months ago I finally gained the courage to go into the weight side of the gym, it's a military gym so it is quite intimidating. Today I decided to use the squat rack for the 2nd time, instead of the smith machine, for my squats. I used the squat rack wrong, as the levers weren't on it and I used the deadlift portion to put the weight down and lift it back up, ultimately I could have hurt myself. A guy came up to help me set it up properly. Really nice of him. However, now I am just so embarrassed, like I don't even want to set foot in the gym again. How am I supposed to build my confidence back up ? I feel like such an idiot lol

• jnp537
    jnp537 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey now you know how to properly do it! And you won't make the mistake again! Also if you have questions about a certain thing, just ask someone to show you how to do it. Most of the time that is very flattering to people