Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Les Mills Info - Reliable?

I struggle to believe that a Les Mills Cardio class is about 68% of a 40 minute run in terms of calories burned. Does anyone have more accurate info from their own measurements/devices? Or believe that this is in fact the case?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Which class? A 55 minute, 45 minute, 30 minute class? Attack, combat, step, grit, etc?
    Attack gives me 410 for 55 minutes. Grit 258 for 30 minutes. Running at my usual pace (5 minute/km) gives me 647 for 55 minutes, 353 for 30.
    All of these are exaggerated and I generally halve them. But I do believe running burns more.
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    their advertised numbers are way to high...they claim attack can burn up to 710 calories....as if!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    rosebudnz wrote: »
    I struggle to believe that a Les Mills Cardio class is about 68% of a 40 minute run in terms of calories burned. Does anyone have more accurate info from their own measurements/devices? Or believe that this is in fact the case?

It's endemic in the market where lots of classes claim calorie expenditures far in excess of what's reasonable or achievable in most circumstances.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Calorie burn is totally arbitrary. Someone massively overweight may well burn 700-odd calories doing Combat, Attack or RPM, but if you're smaller and vaguely fit, your burn is likely to be a lot less.
  • rosebudnz
    rosebudnz Posts: 2 Member
    All very helpful thank you! I guess it doesn't matter how long as you plug in the time you did the class for (which is 55min usually). The other difference with classes and running is that running is non-stop for x mins (and so easy to plug in to MFP) but a class has breaks between tracks, cool-downs etc. I wonder if that is factored into the calorie burn level given too.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Calorie burn is totally arbitrary. Someone massively overweight may well burn 700-odd calories doing Combat, Attack or RPM, but if you're smaller and vaguely fit, your burn is likely to be a lot less.

^^this. My BA instructor would always tell us we were burning up to 710 calories, and each class was like running the equivalent of 7 miles. The class is intense, yes, but as a 5'6", 180ish lb female, most of the time my burns were in the 500-600 range. I find the 7 mile run thing dubious, too. BP usually gets me in the 350-450 range, depending on the routine.
    I don't know how they arrive at their estimatesite though.