Why would I want to do that?

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I'll just smile nicely and then carry on as I am, setting myself little challenges as I go (not always weight based). I won't be doing any fad diets, eating less, moving more and accountability seems to be what works for me.

Sounds like you have a handle on this. Just keep on keeping on.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are doing so well. :) Just ignore the unsolicited advice and keep on doing what is working for you.

I was at a buffet do last week and when I was selecting my plateful of food the person next to me [who I knew] said 'you've lost a lot of weight' . I said yes, 2 & 1/2 stone so far and another one to lose. She then looked at my plate and said 'but you're not dieting today'. I said of course I am, I will just have a small healthy dinner and still be inside my calorie limit for the day. She said 'I've been on a lot of different diets but never done calories to lose weight'. I just smiled and said 'ah' then turned away so she wouldn't see me laughing.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing fine! There are always people who give that kind of advice. It happens to me too, in fact my boyfriend has asked me on a couple occasions why I don't give low carb/keto a try to lose ""faster"" (I, for one, don't want to eat my plant-based diet low carb), and just last weekend he told me I could stick to my calorie goals better if I ate the same food every single day for a year... FOR A YEAR!! I forgive him, even if it's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. (I don't doubt it could work for somebody, but it's not very thoughtful advice imo)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Because we're conditioned to believe that only extreme diet and exercise will result in weight loss. If you're not depriving yourself and exhausting yourself--you're not doin' it right. :neutral: Welcome to the tribe! :smiley:

Personally, I just smile as they go on and hum song lyrics in my head, "Just mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIUtLO_x8g
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    We as a society are conditioned to think "fast is best". When weight loss is concerned, fast isn't always best. Do what works for you and tell everyone else to mind their own beeswax...LOL

My Mom has been a life long dieter. She believes that if she's not dropping a ton each week it's not working, she gets frusterated and asks what she's doing wrong. I ask her why is being a little lighter each week "wrong"? It's because her whole life she's gained and lost, gained and lost. Well, she's now in her early 60's and she doesn't lose it as fast as she once did. I always tell her it's not like there's an end date. Or when you hit goal all your problems go away and you never have to worry again. Even for people in maintanance like myself, every day is a struggle. You just hope you have learned something from your journey and you stick with it. The goal to this whole thing is to find something you can stick with for life.

I see you have found the secret that a lot of us know, and I hope you keep on keepin' on...Great job!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think I'll just smile nicely and then carry on as I am, setting myself little challenges as I go (not always weight based). I won't be doing any fad diets, eating less, moving more and accountability seems to be what works for me.
    Yes, if anyone continues to be annoying, whip out the Authority card:
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You could perfectly honestly and seriously say that you have medical concerns that dictate your diet and you and your medical team are happy with your progress. Then change the subject.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just ignore all the fad ideas given to you, and keep doing what you are doing. Keep up the great work. A very high percentage of successful people here have been told what worked for then is wrong and we still need to follow so stupid shctick.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like noses, everybody has one, just smile and nod and carry on as you are. What you are doing is clearly working for you that is the only thing that matters
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here's a scenario that I'd like to see:

Random Person: Hey, I see you've lost a lot of weight. How are you doing it?
    You: Counting calories on MFP.
    Them: *scoffs* That doesn't work! You should try this new diet where you [insert latest fad here].
    (Some time later, you're even thinner and they look the same, or are heavier)
    Them: Looks like you've lost more weight. Did you try that [fad] diet I recommended?
    You: No. I just decided to stick with what I know and kept counting calories. Did you try that [fad} diet?
    Them: Yes.
    You: Hmm. Interesting.

>:)