Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options
123457»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You know what makes me sad... "water satuee" how is that a thing.

Because it sounds less pathetic than saying "boil"?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Will the fat phobia ever die.... (never as long as it's only about calories in/out I guess. Cuz that's been working so terrifically over the last 40 years since we all started counting calories. "The definition of insanity.....")

...what???....

Fat phobia. Do you remember the sudden pressure to buy low fat, reduced fat, fat free items 20 years ago? Maybe before that. We were taught that fat is bad. Avoid it. When they removed the fats in foods, they added sugars. Fat helps you feel full. You can eat plenty of fat and loose weight. Fat is not something to be scared of. Use it sparingly. A little of the real stuff goes a long way.

The other day someone tried to convince me that a lower calorie yogurt based butter substitute was healthier than a tablespoon of real butter because it only had 50 calories. It's a heavily processed food. Butter is the fat that separates from cream once you get past whipped cream. Why are so many people trained to pick a processed junk food over a simple whole ingredient like butter or an olive oil?

What do the misguided low-fat suggestions of the eighties have to do calorie counting?
    The concept of calorie counting is that you don't have to eliminate fat as it's the excess of calories overall that causes weight gain.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    very low fat diets are also hard to maintain. I also remember the 80's and 90's. We are even heavier now.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Blaaah low fat and high carb is a recipe for disaster for my appetite.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I guess the OP was more interested in ranting about her "shocking" discovery that oil is high in calories than she was in getting any real input/information on the subject.

PS--Put me in the "olive oil is healthy and delicious" camp.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this, and I have had the opposite experience, I'm constantly amazed at how much oil 1 tsp is when I add it to cooking or a salad.
  • MiniNyoom
    MiniNyoom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you need healthy fats in your diet! And only about half that teaspoon makes it off your pan and onto your food, unless you use nonstick. ICBINB is probably not the healthiest fat you want to be consuming.
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    sprays, the one thats 1 cal per spray..... or teaspoon of coconut oil. nice flavour with it to boot.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    It tastes good, is a good fat, and usually is divided up over several servings.

This. I don't ever eat the whole recipe at once. I will use olive oil or real butter for most cooking because it tastes better; therefore, I am satisfied with less of it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I was THRILLED the first time I bothered to measure out the oil I was putting in the pan for a stir fry. I always assumed I used a tablespoon, but when I poured a measured TBL of oil into the pan, it was like this giant lake of oil! I actually use a scant teaspoon of olive oil, or a half a tablespoon of butter anytime I use it. That's @ 35-50 calories, and well worth it.

Well, except when I'm buttering a bagel, or an English Muffin, or Italian bread. But we don't need to talk about that!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You know what makes me sad... "water satuee" how is that a thing.

It's a thing because people believe they have to be on a super restrictive diet to lose weight.

It is not the oil in the stir fry that makes you fat. It is the fact that you eat all 5 servings yourself.

Sorry, it's actually because i would rather eat those hundred calories somewhere else...

Just because it isn't what you do, doesn't mean it's wrong or we all have super restrictive diets.

I probably wouldn't water sauté but that's the same reason I'd restrict calories from oil.

I was chatting with a friend some time ago about the nutrients in many vegetables being oil soluble, and she pointed out that many of us get plenty of fat from other sources, so oil with a specific meal was not always necessary.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes it does have a lot of calories, but it makes certain dishes taste so good that you are happy and satisfied after a meal, which makes dieting easier. You need fat in your diet anyway, so might as well be the delicious kind. That tablespoon you see used? It's usually for an entire multi-serving recipe, so you actually end up with a teaspoon or less in your meal, but since olive oil has a distinct taste that stands out, that teaspoon goes a long way. It improves the taste and the texture of some dishes. Do log it though. Everything you eat has calories.

I was also dismayed by the calories in olive oil. All cooking oils are high. Sometimes I use chicken broth in place of cooking oil. I also started using the cooking sprays. You can get it in olive oil, butter and others. The spray allows you to coat your food with less oil. J.